Start by marking “Emotionally Engaged: A Bride's Guide to Surviving the "Happiest" Time of Her Life” as Want to Read:

From the country’s foremost expert on “cold feet,” a smart and compassionate guide for the bride-to-be who thinks she should be blissfully happy—but is freaking out instead For most brides, the elation of engagement is accompanied by a cocktail of unexpected emotions: Anxiety about making a lifelong commitment. Sadness about leaving their single life behind. Confusion when ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Plume (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Emotionally Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotionally Engaged

Lacey Louwagie
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm so glad this book exists. As I've been planning to (obsessing over) getting married, I've found myself frustrated that there are books out there about EVERYTHING to do with planning and pulling off the wedding, but virtually nothing that speaks to the emotional experience of preparing for the life-change that marriage will bring. This book, thankfully, fills that void.

Allison Moir-Smith focuses her therapy practice on counseling brides, and this bo
Renada Thompson
Nov 30, 2013 Renada Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Helpful and encouraging. I appreciated the advice to clarify my expectations of how I "should" feel at various stages and then give myself permission to feel many different emotions. Not always happy ones! A book that is both clear-eyed and cheering.
Aug 07, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on The Beauty of Existence

I found this book a little while back, and I knew it would be something I’d like to read, but I was blown away by how helpful it actually was.

The author went through a difficult time during her engagement, family issues, internal struggles, and she took that experience and decided to help other brides-to-be. She relates her experiences, as well as the stories of those who called on her for help, in order to shed light on how being engaged really feels.
Sep 04, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
I just finished "Emotionally Engaged: A Bride's Guide to Surviving the 'Happiest' Time of Her Life" by Allison Moir-Smith. While some of it was a little over-the-top for me and some of the dialogue in the examples of situations given seemed a bit juvenile, it was a good book to read when I needed a little bit of de-stressing time. It helped to know that it wasn't abnormal for me to be down and depressed some days even though I'm planning for one of the happiest days of my life. It encourages you ...more
Mary Kay
Mar 16, 2016 Mary Kay rated it it was amazing
I found this book very helpful for understanding the emotional side of an engagement, and why seemingly simple decisions can feel very stressful. There are journal exercises throughout the book to help you figure out what getting married means to you, which I found useful for figuring out why I'm feeling how I feel. By understanding my feelings, I am better equipped to manage them. Even sunshine has shadows, and I really appreciated this honest exploration of the shadow side of the happiest time ...more
Michelle Plass
Mar 05, 2010 Michelle Plass rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read for any bride-to-be it talks about the transition between being single and getting married. Just like The Conscious Bride, only without some of the patronizing language and mythology. A very easy and engaging read the encourages all women to feel their feelings and that just because they may have questions or confusion about marriage doesn't mean there is anything wrong with their relationship. A must read for all the engaged ladies out there!
Jul 14, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: future brides
I may be unduly harsh, but I feel like I've been a real nightmare throughout our engagement. I've purchased many books, attempting to find some solace that this is a temporary condition and that I'll be back to my old self in no time.

The search is over! This will be a frequent gift to future brides. This book was a lifesaver. Some of the suggested activities were hokey. Very hokey, hence the withheld final star, but still strongly recommended.
Cornelia Schiller
Mar 15, 2012 Cornelia Schiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read this book and it really helped me at the time. It is well structured, direct and at times no-nonsense, but written with a very light and humorous tone. Kind of makes you feel like you are talking to the author in a friend-setting. It was an easy read and I probably finished the thing in about an hour. The first self-help book I've ever read and would definitely recommend to all bride-to-bes out there!
Aug 20, 2008 Noelle rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for the engaged or newly married bride. I just recently got married and had gone through a lot of changes that I was unaware of from being engaged. This book helped clarify the emotions that went along with the engagement and the life changing committment I was about to make. Excellent book!!
A much more engaging read now that I've start planning my wedding, as opposed to previously when I had no idea when the wedding was going to be. The book really does make you think about your emotions and what could be causing various different feelings, and really did give me some insight as to what might be going on in my head.
Dec 15, 2008 Hawley rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this to any and every bride who desires not only to make the most of her engagement period but her marriage, to think more holistically than simply of the day of the wedding. It is fantastic and really helped me to realize the full potential of my engagement period and to prepare for marriage. It's awesome!
jessica ann
Sep 14, 2008 jessica ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the engaged.
Recommended to jessica ann by: my fiance.
This is a good book for anyone that's about to get married. It explains the emotions besides happiness that you might feel during your engagement and, most importantly, why! It also delves into the way your relationships change with your family and friends during your important thing to understand. Ok, go read.
Apr 04, 2010 Amelia rated it it was amazing
I read this in the early days of my engagement. I learned so much from this, and a lot of the book has stuck with me. I've recommended it to all of my engaged friends. Getting married should be a deliberate choice for your future, not something to get caught up in.
Jul 17, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who are getting married
Recommended to Jessica by: MSN
A book you must read if you are getting married! It explains and makes sense of why everyone in your life gets so crazy around weddings. It also offers good advise on how to be calm and enjoy your wedding day.
Jun 30, 2009 Kati rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful and full on insight. You go through a lot of emotions when planning your wedding and during the engagement this guide helps you not feel so crazy and to realize what your feeling isn't too far from the norm.
Jun 28, 2009 Alia rated it liked it
Recommended to Alia by: Kristian
A really interesting and thought-provoking take on what women actually go through emotionally during their engagements. Probably would be more helpful to me if I were engaged while reading this, but hopefully I'll be able to use the information when I do get engaged.
Jul 20, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly cool, relevant book about learning how to commit to another person and building a family with them. I especially liked the family map exercises.
Mar 05, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
A very good choice for the mood I was in at the time. Finished it, feel better about my planning and am trying to keep things in perspective...
Sep 15, 2008 Jennakeeven rated it liked it
Since my awesome friend Kati bought me this book, I decided I should read it. Had some fun information...some of it was a bit dramatic for my life.
Brie Klein-fowler
Aug 03, 2011 Brie Klein-fowler rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all the books I have been given as a bride-to-be! A definite must read for engaged girls!
Nov 11, 2011 Dustie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a good slap in the face from your best friend! :) Sometimes we all just NEED it! This book is HIGHLY reccommended to anyone needing to take a CHILL PILL over their wedding!
Apr 25, 2011 Danielle rated it liked it
interesting thoughts for people preparing to get married. Helped me deal with the myriad of emotions that come with being engaged.
Aug 31, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: brides who can't get off their butts to plan the wedding
Recommended to Jen by: Lavina
I learned two very important things:

1) More people feel like me than don't feel like me, thanks
2) Everything will be fine
Jennica rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Julia rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Meg rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2008
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015