Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System

Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Covering all the basic subjects covered in a first-year law student's curriculum, this book not only explains why lawyers think the way they think, but gives you the basic tools to understand the mechanics of the American legal tradition.
Published August 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 30th 2000)

Erik
As an introductory text to the American justice system, Feinman’s 2000 book has no equal – at least this far into my preliminary research as I gear myself up for law school in less than two years’ time. Not only is he judicious in his explanations, but he also doesn’t shy away from the more complicated theoretical matters upon which our fundamental rights are based. For example, when he discusses the nuances of how our First Amendment rights have been interpreted over the course of two centuries...more
Keith
I finished reading this book last month and it was a very compelling read, if a bit dry. Understanding the U.S. legal system is increasingly important as we look at what new policies our state and federal governments are enacting, and to avoid responding out of rhetoric instead of a factual knowledge about the law.

While this book will certainly not make anyone a lawyer, it does provide a fairly solid foundation of the various components of law and it's application. As such, it makes for an educa...more
Terrance
Good as a review or a preview before going to law school. Will give you insight regarding laws and procedures. If you don't know anything about the world of law, this book may be confusing. Good if you sit down and read it, and try to understand what the author is saying (who is clearly very knowledgeable of the nuances of law; he is a law professor). This book will only teach you the theories behind (basic) laws, criminal, civil, contract, business. Doesn't go over the real fundamentals of law,...more
Cornelio
Maybe I should go to law school.

This book read like a page turner, which either means the author did a good job, or that it's a subject I love. In this case, definitely both. Feinman structures this book to be a good one volume intro to law, covering the major topics that a 1st year law student would tackle. His explanations and good historical examples make law less some abstract, technical, unfeeling entity, and reveal its imperfect humanness, beauty and warts and in between.
Kim
This book shouldn't have taken me a month to read. It was engaging, interesting and insightful. However, I was so intent on absorbing every piece of information and memorising every legal term (I failed utterly) that I would put the book down whenever my concentration slipped a bit (which was almost all the time). On the whole, this book's catch is that it makes the subject of law really, really the opposite of boring. And that's a really big deal.
Ryan
This book was written as an introduction to the American legal system with ample references to the historical origins of many features we see today. I learned a lot about various aspects of the law from consitutional law to property & contract law to criminal law. This would probably be a good read for anyone considering entering the legal profession or for anyone who wants to gain a broader understanding of how the legal system works.
Serenity
Apr 13, 2007 Serenity rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Law Students/ Everyone
The basic foundation of our legal system and the basic areas that you learn in your first year of law school.

It helps you categorize different legal problems that you face on a daily basis.

When people ask me what is it your learn in law school, I direct them to read this book to understand the basic principles.

Mariel
Another book I picked up right before 1L. I read the relevant portions as I was taking the classes and it's actually a well put together little book. Clearly written, the chapters are good birds-eye views of their respective areas of the law and something that will make you look at your world a little differently.
James
Really great intro to the basics of American law for us non-law folks. Probably a good read for those thinking about a legal career of some kind, but also great for a general understanding of issues and cases that are in the headlines every day.
Jack
Aug 06, 2011 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: other
a good crash course to american law. instead of skimming over subjects with mindless summarizations, the author dives into the subjects with intelligent discourse on the rationales of practices and invites critical thought on law.
Ben
This is a fantastic book for all those who want to understand the law better. While the book's treatment is quite superficial for the law student, it provides the perfect balance of readability and technicality for the average reader.
AHA
It'll have to be a reference book, because it was too damn long for me to read all the way through. I guess I was being extra ambitious the day I bought it.
John Bruning
A good overview of the legal system, and Feinman does a good job of presenting multiple sides of legal disagreements.
Rody
"Everything you need to know about the American Legal System"
Fenestra
Very informative, detailed, and easy to understand.
Bridgette Bissonnette
good intro to law school boot camp
Mostafa
Aug 26, 2011 Mostafa marked it as to-read
I want all information about law
Adrienne Olejnik
Adrienne Olejnik marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Anouk Poulain
Anouk Poulain marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
  • Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • A History of American Law
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species
  • A People's History of the Supreme Court: The Men and Women Whose Cases and Decisions Have Shaped Our Constitution
  • Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
  • The Art of Project Management
  • Gideon's Trumpet
  • The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • Writing with Intent: Essays, Reviews, Personal Prose--1983-2005
Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About American Law Delay, Deny, Defend: Why Insurance Companies Don't Pay Claim and What You Can DoAbout It 1001 Legal Words You Need to Know: The Ultimate Guide to the Language of the Law Un-Making Law: The Conservative Campaign to Roll Back the Common Law Introduccion Al Derecho De Estados Unidos De America/ Introduction to the Law in the United States of America