Start by marking “Totem Tale” as Want to Read:
Totem Tale
Preview

Totem Tale

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
On a full-moon night in Alaska, a traditional native totem pole magically comes to life. The Grizzly, Beaver, Frog, and Raven all stretch and scratch and voice their relief at being free at last. But then the first dawn light appears on the horizon, and the totems have to reassemble themselves in the proper order before morning. Who should be on top of whom? Can wise Raven ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Totem Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Totem Tale

Shannon
Great, great introduction to totems. I'd been searching for a book JUST like this to precede our trip to the Burke Museum, but I happened upon it a week too late. Doesn't talk much about the symbolism of each totem animal (I used Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast for that), but a solid, brief introduction nonetheless.
Lara
Apr 08, 2008 Lara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: na-nw
This is a good book to use in connection with creating totem animals. It helps kids to understand that the totems also tell a story and have meaning to the people who create them. First I teach them about Tlignit carver Nathan Jackson, and show slides. I then have kids brainstorm native animals to Alaska. I read the story and demo how to stylize the animal, traditional color use, and have them thinking about the story of their animal while creating the work.
Dolly
Feb 25, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, other-usa
This is an entertaining story that helps teach children a little about the cultural significance and meaning of different totems. The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are colorful. I liked the tall tale style of the story and how the ending resolves the conflict. I think this story would be appropriate for children aged 5 and up.
Bekkah
One of the students in my placement chose this from the media center and we read it while waiting for the class to finish having their hearing checked. I was very pleased with the way the illustrations complimented the story.

This book would be good to use for language arts as an example of a folk tale or legend. It would also work well as a way to introduce an art around the world culture study. I also feel like it would work well in a math lesson because of the problem solving skills used by th
Adam
The pages of this book were on signs along the trail when we were cross country skiing at Sun Mountain Lodge this weekend.
Suzy
this book was in the non-fiction section...has some truth to it, but is a tall tale from Alaska. I liked the illustrations, but the story wasn't exactly a story. It was ok, but I wouldn't get it again.
Readergirl77
Cute story, great illustrations.
Ckolleen
A great story about a raven, grizzly bear, wolf, beaver, eagle and a frog.
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
I Love
I Love marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
C Lundgren
C Lundgren marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jun 03, 2014
Kelly Miller
Kelly Miller marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Mar 10, 2014
Ms. Cho
Ms. Cho marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Eclectic author of 15 books published with six different presses: literary fiction, books on the craft and business of writing, narrative nonfiction, books for children and young adults. Alaska is home and inspiration.
More about Deb Vanasse...
Alaska Sampler 2014: Ten Authors from the Great Land: Fiction - Biography - Memoir - Humor Cold Spell Under Alaska's Midnight Sun Out of the Wilderness Lucy's Dance