Start by marking “No Comebacks” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,848 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Here are ten suspenseful, serpentine stories of betrayal, blackmail, murder, and revenge... all culminating in shocking twists of fate. Within these pages live a wealth of characters you will not soon forget... people whose lives become irrevocably trapped in a world of no comebacks, beyond the point of no return--from the manipulators and the manipulated to the ultra-rich ...more
Published March 1983 by Bantam (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about No Comebacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Comebacks

Arjün Kaül
If I had to introduce young people to the joy of reading, this is probably one of the books I'd highly recommend. Compelling stories, all masterfully crafted and well written by a smooth literary hand that never eases up the excitement. There's a reason why Frederick Forsythe is one of the kings of thrillers. This book has ten examples of that.
Don't take my word for it. Here read a sample of the first story and decide for your own self.
Peter
This is one of the best books ever written. I absolutely love "The Emperor" This book left me hungering for another short story fest with Mr Forsyth but alas it was not to be. I have read this book many times and find old hardcover copies to give as gifts.
Viceroy
A great collection of short stories each with a unique twist at the end. In true Frederick Forsyth tradition, each short has , good plot pacing and wonderful descriptions. Would certainly like to read more short stories by this author.
Nancy
This read was a surprise for me. A friend bought this book, originally published in 1972, at a library book sale and gave it to me. Just glancing at the cover I determined this wouldn't be the kind of book I would normally read, figuring it was a kind of who-dunnit read. But am working through the 30 books unread on my bookshelf and chose this one this week.

What a lovely surprise as I discovered this to be a book of 10 short stories, most about crime and whether it pays or not and a few that wer
John Pye
I'm a real sucker for short stories and this book did not let me down. These I found were Forsyth at his writing best with some great lines and plenty of wit in some of the tales... from the retired bomb disposal officer to the wealthy underworld entrepreneur/gangster the characters are splendid and believable concoctions from Forsyth's imagination. A good book.
Namiko
This book includes four short stories by Frederick Forsyth:

There are some days...
A Careful Man
Sharp Practice

It was very short and easy for me to understand the plots so I could read it very quickly even when I was too tired to do anything.
Cheryl
I have never been a fan of the short story. I picked this up and was hooked on page one. All the stories are excellent and no two are the same. I would highly recommend this book. The story called The Emperor will be one that stays with me a for years.
Sonia Gomes
Apr 06, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sonia by: Got an old copy, which I never would swap !
These ten stories keep you on the edge of the chair throughout, nail biting suspense,always with a twist at the end.
My favorites "Money with Menaces" and "Used in Evidence" absolutely fantastic.
No spoilers here!!
Richard H.
No Comebacks by Frederick Forsyth (4.5 - 5 Stars)
Forsyth is a master on the same level as Wilber Smith when it comes to being a raconteur of tales. In the same was a Smith, he picks an area of the word he knows best for this set of short stories an pulls the reader in from the first paragraph. Of the ten short stories, I actually have three favorites and a fourth that I loved although it has a slight flaw which may never have been pointed out in previous reviews.
First, a bit about my three fav
Minnie
This book languishes in the book collection of our beach house and this weekend I reread it again. It is generally difficult for me to rate a collection of short stories because their quality can vary from excellent to dismal. "Duty" and "Sharp Practice" are my least favourite stories but "Privilege" and "A Careful Man" are rare and precious gems that should be used as examples of how short stories should be written. My best quote comes from Privilege, when the judge looks at the complainant and ...more
Vijai
An OK read, really. Mr Forsyth tries to shove the twist-in-the-end plot twist in every damn story, Thing is, it works with some and fails miserably with others.

Case in example being that story of the judge getting conned. It was so plain obvious the priest wasn't who he was and that the other dude was playing him but the author had to drag the reader into an unnecessary court room scene and then the equally flat anti-climax.

Pick this book if you are broke at a second hand mart to satiate that
John Clark
I really enjoyed this book. I believe that anyone would enjoy you can short stories even if they are not spy enthusiasts. Each story has its own unique setting and characters all of them completely believable and Each story ends with a twist the reader could not imagine. I highly recommend this book.
Linda
Oct 21, 2011 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Linda by: no one
GFrederick Forsyth is one of my favorite authors. This is a book of short stories, not my favorite favorite literary form. These stories were 'Forsythian.' 'Favrian' is to football what 'Forsythian' is to literature. Both men are at the top of their game. (Brett, that one was for you!).
Gina
Jun 24, 2009 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gina by: Mark
Really good, really quick read. The book consists of 10 short stories, most involving some form of revenge. Every story kept my attention, and the writing was clear and interesting.

My favorite story, by far, is Privilege.

The book is clever, and definitely worth a read.
Peregrine 12
I started this one but didn't get to finish it. However: these stories, written largely in the 1970's, are a LOT of fun! Very exciting read. I will finish this one soon, I hope. (Tip: Check out Forsyth's 'The Afghan' and 'The Veteran').
Ben B
Feb 26, 2011 Ben B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own
A collection of wonderful, unforgettable short stories. Some, like the title story, appear to be studies or sketches for full-length novels. Others, such as "Used in Evidence," are perfect gems, with nothing more to be added.
Tereza Fuková
All the krimi stories were really impressive with surprising end. But two last - "A Careful Man" and "Sharp Practice" weren't really krimis and I knew from the beginning how this story ends.

Traghunath
The title story is without doubt one of the best short stories ever written....gives a whole new meaning to the term 'down to the wire'
Nanda
the first short story in the book, "no comebacks" will stun you, well, you cant stop reading the others after the 1st one!
Kelly
A solid collection of short stories, each with a nice twist. A masterful storyteller.
David
A fantastic collection of short stories, each with their own particular flavour
Craig
These stories are fantastic. One of the few collections I reread occasionally.
A.J. Barnett
An excellent book of short stories from a master story-teller.
Deepa Swaminathan
Strong character descriptions cooked in picturesque yet simple narrative,

Can a seemingly simple man drive us readers crazy with a strong motive?

Deep-Fried in strong emotions like revenges and deceptions

Enjoy the master-story teller's convincing concoctions!

Frederick Forsyth - Also known as the master storyteller, this handsome author has touched the peaks of popularity with his loved novels- The Day of the Jackal, The Afghan, The Fist of God and The Dogs of War . He wrote his first short stor
Seth
The first book I had read by Frederick Forsyth in over 15 years, a couple of neat little stories short stories here. All of them with ironic twists in the end, after the second story you just start waiting for them to happen. The first was pretty predictable, but many of them leave you scratching your head for a moment before you reread the content and understand how the twist had came to be. Some of them are rather humerous.
Most of the stories here are set in Ireland over thirty years ago, som
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Frederick Forsyth è un autore di fama internazionale, i suoi libri di spionaggio ed i suoi thriller sono e fanno da capostipite a tutti quelli venuti dopo, secondo me un maestro del genere insieme a "Le Carrè".

In questo libro però non troviamo il solito Forsyth che scrive di spionaggio e thriller, ma un autore diverso, i cui racconti sono semplici storie e sconfinano nella narrativa, ma che riescono comunque a mantenere un legame con i doppi giochi tipici delle trame spionistiche, certo non tutt
Tushar Damle
This book is different from the other Forsyth books. There are no global conflicts, no nuclear threats, no CIA and no KGB. This book is a collection of short stories which feature regular people such as a clerk, policemen, medical student, small businessman, tourist and so on. The stories are written in the inimitable style of Forsyth, with the research done by the author evident in the level of detail that is rarely seen in other books.

The Emperor is my favorite story in this book with Privile
Rob
Ten short stories about deception, blackmail, murder and revenge. Each tale with a 'twist'.
An easy read, ideal for filling in those spare half hours - you do have spare time? Anyway, these are stories from his pre middle age, published in about 1972. I suppose the hallmarks of Mr Forsyth's style are there to see. The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon and many other best sellers followed.
Biba
i like to be surprised by a book,especially if i pick it up with low expectations and get his full in the face with its awesomeness.this short story collection was such a pleasant surprise that i give it 5 stars.
this is my first Frederick Forsyth book, but i'll make sure it's not the last. i loved his style. none of his stories are predictable, at the end of each story i was taken by surprise by how the things turned out to be, and i'd say "damn i was NOT expecting that in the least", and that
Prashanth Kanichar
i always liked Frederick forsyth for his narration, contents ,and thrill. well this is his short story collection.so you don't have to lose your sleep just to know what happens at the end. very thrilling stories. must read. no comebacks , no snakes in Ireland, the emperor are my favourites
Suggestions for thriller short stories 5 14 Apr 04, 2013 06:14AM
  • A Twist in the Tale
  • The Moneychangers
  • Traitor's Kiss
  • Confessional
  • Cross Of Fire (Tweed & Co. #10)
  • The Short Stories of Saki
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • Havana Bay (Arkady Renko, #4)
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Lost Burgundy (Book of Ash, #4)
  • The Road To Omaha
  • The Last Frontier
  • Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day
  • Only When I Larf
From Wikipedia:

Frederick Forsyth, CBE (born 25 August 1938) is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra.

The son of a furrier, Forsyth was born in Ashford, Kent. He
More about Frederick Forsyth...
The Day of the Jackal The Odessa File The Fourth Protocol The Dogs of War The Devil's Alternative