Start by marking “The Last Innocent Man” as Want to Read:
The Last Innocent Man

The Last Innocent Man

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,486 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Defense attorney David Nash has made a career out of setting monsters free -- and no one does it better. Now a case has come to "The Ice Man" that could help cleanse Nash of the guilt and doubts that torment him: that rarest of all defendants, an innocent man.

A fellow lawyer has been accused of a heinous crime -- the brutal murder of an undercover vice cop. But the case th
Published January 25th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published December 12th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Innocent Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Innocent Man

Mary JL
Apr 18, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries and legal thrillers
This is one of Philip Margolin's early novels. It has the protagonist, David Nash, beginning to doubt the legal system, after he has won several trials where the defendants were pretty amoral.

So, he is glad to get a case where he is almost certain the client is innocent--a fellow lawyer with a good reputation. Then he meets the client's wife--and finds out she is the woman he had a brief affair with. In an action which certainly would be considered questionable professional ethics, David continu
Fritz Schneider
Aug 14, 2010 Fritz Schneider rated it did not like it
This book was on the chronicles list of best ever thrillers... Inexplicably. It reads like it was written by a second grader and the only reason I finished it was because I was too lazy to get up off the beach.

This book is good.... FOR ME TO POOP ON.
Sue Lambert
Jan 29, 2015 Sue Lambert rated it really liked it
Everyone accused of a crime is guaranteed a legal defense, the question here is when does attorney/client privilege cross the line of an objective legal defense! Loved the plot, some of the characters were questionable. This was a page turner for me, I could not put this book down. Liked this book better than Gone But Not Forgotten. I have four more of Phillip Margolin's books to read, hope they live up to this one. I liked the suspense and twists in the plot. Phillip Margolin moved up on my lis ...more
Rick
Jul 18, 2009 Rick rated it it was ok
It was ok. Nothing special. Lawyers, a murder, trials, blah blah blah.
Heather L
Apr 10, 2015 Heather L rated it liked it
I love a good courtroom drama. I am always a sucker for the subject of law. This book started off really good. The suspense built gradually, just at the right pace. The suspect you come to know just oozes sleaziness right off the pages. I really thought this had good potential for a great ending and a Hell Yeah moment. But unfortunately it did not deliver. In parts, the subject of Nash's affection was really irritating. Her parts of dialogue where she doesn't finish her damn sentences, they just ...more
David
Jan 18, 2010 David rated it did not like it
Dale
Jan 06, 2014 Dale rated it really liked it
Good thriller set against a series of coincidences

Margolin comes through with The Last Innocent Man , a book that keeps the pages turning but at times I wondered about the series of incredible coincidences that linked all of the characters together (I won't go into them here, for fear of revealing too much of the plot for those who have not yet read the book).

Are you looking for a book that leads the protagonist through a series of difficult choices until finally everything is forced to come to
Rosemary
Aug 04, 2015 Rosemary rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Danton
Jun 25, 2014 Danton rated it really liked it
I was not happy for a long time while reading this book about a lawyer representing a lawyer while simultaneously sleeping with the dfendants wife. I guess Harrison ford, gene Hackman, Richard gere, and some other dudes in Hollywood have done this a bunch, and while the trial went on, I was like....oh oh, is there going to be proof, is the dude going to admit it? and with the police officer ORTIZ, I was thinking, hes bad.but what a scumbag, interacting with some chump pimp named T.V....
Jlhuyser
Feb 16, 2014 Jlhuyser rated it liked it
Young and accomplished, a defense attorney with a great success record is beginning to feel some cognitive dissonance about what he does so well, when he meets an innocent man who is so self-centered and such a jerk that you really don't want him to be. Suspenseful, some truly evil characters. Good people do some stupid and bad things... and well, it's hard to tell who is who. This one had be turning pages!
Beth
May 25, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
The Last Innocent Man was written 35 years ago and is showing its age. A courtroom drama that seems a precursor to The Lincoln Lawyer in some ways, it is a bit slow and plodding with a few almost predictable plot twists.
Charlene C
Oct 17, 2014 Charlene C rated it really liked it
My first by Phillip Margolin. I am a new fan! It's fun to discover a new treasure trove of books! I'm not sure why it's taken me this long. :)
Joyce McKune
Nash was getting burned out defending murders and his last trial he has almost won, but he just couldn't let a murderer go free so he froze.
Russty Thaggard
Apr 16, 2016 Russty Thaggard rated it it was amazing
This author continues to impress... Had read several of his later books, then went back to his first and second, and appparently he started with a bang!!!! Highly recommend any and all of his books!!!
Lane
Jun 04, 2016 Lane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A decent story but not as good as his later works.
Judi
Aug 11, 2012 Judi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-1998
I like this book because it shows the true job of the Defense Attorney. Imagine defending criminals day in and day out to the point that you are so jaded that when the real thing comes along, that is, an innocent man, you almost miss it. And then the job gets really tough because this time you MUST keep him from going to jail. But then again, what if that perfect case starts to make you wonder if it is what is? Is David Nash, the defense attorney known as the "Ice Man" who is a master at manipul ...more
Chris Birdy
Jul 20, 2015 Chris Birdy rated it really liked it
Interesting story, well-written with a somewhat predictable ending.
John Graham
Feb 09, 2015 John Graham rated it really liked it
Not as good as Lost Lake but.....still very good. A good story and some nice twists.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 15, 2014 Charlene Gordon rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. Read it in 2011.
Marilyn
Oct 27, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Nash, defense attorney, has had a good life. How is it then that he now is being troubled by his occupation? Most of his clients are guilty. When you're making sure justice is done, you tend to keep focused on the fair trial for everyone, rather than the crime. But, the last few trials have left him feeling a little strung out. Are his strings being pulled? Or is he just going soft? If he's not careful, his confusion could put him in a very precarious situation. Justice, truth, or breaking ...more
Chuck
Sep 19, 2011 Chuck rated it liked it
This story is based on a very interesting question; is every defendant entitled to the best defense money can buy. Our protagonist is a virtually unbeatable criminal defense attorney. He begins to worry about whether or not he is winning cases and putting criminals back on the street. Stir in his affair with a beautiful, married woman whose husband becomes a client and the recipe gets richer. The problem is I didn't like the people including the lawyer, David Nash. They came across as superficia ...more
Ellie1029
Not his best
Manugw
Jun 15, 2011 Manugw rated it really liked it
COMPELLING A MUST READ FOR EVERY LAW STUDENT

In addition to generate an ethical debate about the defense of crime offenders, entertains, providing other key elements like deep suspense, romance and police procedures. The author is skilled enough to pop deep suspense out of simple elements and as a result of that the plot becomes a blend of debate and mistery. I enjoyed it very much and could not put it down. This book is an example on how using simple everyday situations and characters a good wor
La Tonya
Jul 27, 2014 La Tonya rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan now!! He's as sharp as Grisham!! This book held my interest the entire ride!! Go PM!!
Ern Ern Wong
Feb 16, 2014 Ern Ern Wong rated it really liked it
It is great,very.
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it
A really good story.
Terri
Feb 01, 2010 Terri rated it liked it
A defense lawyer is getting disenchanted with his job when he starts questioning the guilt or innocence of his clients. And situations arise where he is being manipulated and may be letting the guilty go free and the innocent go to jail. It was these psychological questions I enjoyed most. Did not care for the romance angle at all.
Terri Fleming
Aug 10, 2014 Terri Fleming rated it liked it
Loved the ending. Took me to the very last.
Jill
May 19, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
Recommends it for: courtroom thrillers, philip margolin, suspense/thrillers
It was really good. Just when you thought you had figured it out who did it turns out to be the person who you wouldn't have thought it would be. The meaning the last innocent man defintely meant something in this book. Yes, the plotline was a little outdated but it was still amazing.
Mick
Dec 02, 2011 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real lawyers write good books! This book ultimately deals with the lawyer and the client confidentiality rule. When the client is cleared of all charges he confesses to his lawyer. So the lawyer realizes he sent the wrong guy to prison. An interesting story and a good ending.
USA Geography Cha...: The Last Innocent Man by Phillip Margolin 1 2 Dec 29, 2014 06:58AM
after page 245.... 1 3 Jun 25, 2014 11:52AM
  • Reign in Hell
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Hostile Witness (Victor Carl, #1)
  • Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13)
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6-7)
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • The Final Judgment
  • Iron Gustav: A Berlin Family Chronicle
  • First Offense
  • Cold Is The Grave / The Summer That Never Was  (Inspector Banks #13,11)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Snow Angel: 8