The Veteran

The Veteran

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,363 ratings  ·  80 reviews
On a grimy sidewalk in a defeated neighborhood, an old man is beaten to death. When a cop investigates, he finds two killers and a startling legacy of honor ... In a prestigious London art gallery an impoverished actor is swindled out of a fortune-until an eccentric appraiser hatches a delicious scheme for revenge... On an airplane high over war-torn Afghanistan, a passeng...more
Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Veteran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Veteran

Stefan
This collection of short stories by Frederick Forsyth was engagingly vivid, well plotted, and displayed Forsuth's ability to write excellent short stories outside of the thriller genre. The stories are all written, to the extent that the fact that they were short stories didn't bother me (I usually prefer a novel over a short story.) The first story, The Veteran, was a interesting mystery story which gave me a new found appreciation for ability to create amazing word pictures using details. The...more
Marcia Chocinsky
Frederick Forsyth is a great writer and has produced a series of short stories or novellas which take place in different places and times. I especially enjoyed Whispering Wind about a scout that was with General George Custer at Little Big Horn. This is the longest story in the book and takes a surprising twist after the battle at LBH. All the stories are enjoyable and are highly recommended.
Sean Randall
I've never read any frederick forsyth before and didn't really know what to expect. I must say I was hooked, fascinated and surprised.

My favourite story out of the five in the collection has to be "the Art of the Matter", describing a disgruntled x-employee's vengeance on a corporate bigwig who lost him his job. I also enjoyed "The Veteran", it was quite police procedural (which works well in a short story ) with an excellent twist at the end.

The remaining stories in order of my enjoyment were "...more
Hannie
Dit was mijn eerste boek van Frederick Forsyth. Het bevat vijf korte verhalen, die elk weer heel anders zijn. De verhalen zijn verrassend en vaak zie je de ontknoping niet aankomen. Het boek is ingedeeld in het genre van de thrillers, maar na het lezen van de verhalen ben ik het niet echt eens met deze classificatie. Vooral het laatste verhaal is eerder mysterieus dan spannend. Ik vond de verhalen erg leuk. Ze lezen vlot en hebben een prettige lengte. Lang genoeg om boeiend te zijn en kort genoe...more
Helene
This is a compilation of 3 or 4 different stories, all of which are engaging. And, they all have an interesting, and surprising, twist at the end. Very good book!
Elaine
This book of short stories was wonderful. I'm not usually a short story enthusiast--I prefer the longer format of novels that allow me to immerse myself deeply in a narrative. But these were so well-crafted that I fell right into them, cared about the characters, and loved the twists at the end of most of them. I preferred the stories set in England to the longer one--a novella?--at the end of the collection, "Whispering Wind," which was set in the mountains and plains of Montana. It went on at...more
Arun Divakar
My inclination towards short stories have been steadily on the rise. My wish list confirms this fact as well. Although in this short period of time I have not been able to go for the masters, I did happen to read a few shorts by some of the more popular authors. The interest began with Jeffrey Deaver's Twisted which lived up to its name in delivering twists in the tale. It was with this mindset that I picked up Forsyth's book to spend the weekend with.

There are four tales in here and all of th...more
Manu Prasad
The book is quite a departure from the regular thrillers that Forsyth is famous for, but that doesn't take away anything from the quality of the work. It consists of five stories, which showcase the research that characterises Forsyth's works. I'd actually have taken these for Jeffrey Archer's work for the quality of the 'twists', and sometimes, even the wit.
'The Veteran' and 'The Art of the Matter' are renditions of the concept of justice, with the latter giving us quite a few insights about t...more
Ishan Bose
A journey of human sentiments around the timeline spreading two centuries. Five stories and all the five indulged a certain yet different side/sense of mine into action.

First there was The Veteran which defines that quote about revenge and cold serving. An intriguing tale of a war veteran, an honest yet ignored police officer and a by-the-book lawyer. Meticulously described each and moment of the story with minute details.

The second one was-"The Art of the Matter". A telltale of an art freak, hi...more
John
I listened to this collection of five long stories by Frederick Forsyth on an audiobook in the car. I was on my road trip when I started it, but when I got home it was early in the book. I don't drive much, so it has taken a long time to finish, and now that I've finished the fifth story I don't really remember the first, except that I think I liked it. This book certainly made me enjoy my times in the car more, both because they are engaging stories and because they are read by three first-rate...more
Ed
Five O'Henry-esque short stories/novellas by Fredrick Forsyth that will change the way you think about the short story format. By that I mean I've always preferred long form novels because they extended the story. Short stories by definition, well...fall short. Not so here as the talented Forsyth proves in his lead story, "The veteran", a novella about revenge with an elegant twist ending. The other four stories are all equally well written, compelling and enjoyable........Ed
Kate Millin
From the back of the book: ' a miracle in war torn Sienna that begins with the persecution of a young nun in the 16th century; a drug smuggling heist on an international flight; a brutal urban murder where a brilliant QC decides to defend the killers resulting in a startling justice ;an art scam at a famous London auction house, wih a brilliantly plotted revenge and the culminating story which begins with a single survivor from Custer's last stand'.

The book has a wide range of different short s...more
Vijai
The Veteran takes your breath away in the way beautiful emotions are taken to a finale that almost punches you off your feet.

When you buy Mr. Forsyth's books he gives you what we in India call "Paisa Vasool", value for your money not just in the way he weaves a wonderful tapestry of intrigues & emotions with the story telling poised to end in a grand finale but also gives you that extra slice of realism. What the hell am I talking about? That colonel Labalaba that he talks so briefly about...more
W. Nicol
An interesting anthology in which some stories worked for me and others did not. The novella, Whispering Wind, I thought to be excellent but the title piece, The Veteran, simply collapsed at the end. Starting as a police procedural it was fine but the establishment barrister's sense of justice simply did an injustice to the police and witness.
Jerry
Maybe the best book (of some 200 !!) we've read this year!

"The Veteran" turns out to be a compilation of five novellas: 78-, 70-, 34-, 36-, and 140-pages in length, to be exact. They have several things in common -- gripping story telling, enough flesh and detail to get involved in and hooked by, and a strong twist at the end to surprise and delight. Whether it's vigilante justice, the scammee scamming the scammer, or a delightfully evocative tale about native America, Forsyth may be at his ver...more
Webster Fortyone
This story will bruise your ego and insult your intelligence because you will not see it coming. Despite this warning you will be amazed at the sheer evil and devious nature of the crime. Frederick Forsyth is best known for his espionage thrillers like The Day of the Jackal and Avenger; and in this short story he introduces us to a painstakingly methodical detective, a tenacious legal mind and an ice-cold avenger cloaked in the guise of a gentleman but with the brute instinct of a hunter.

Stay w...more
Debra
A collection of short stories that were extremely well done. I was upset with the first story until I encountered the twist. Each one has this amazing turn of events. The only thing that drove me nuts was that the audio book has one long track per disk. If you carry your player around the house like I do, this is really annoying to have to keep resetting it every time you move. If the stories had not been so compelling that alone would have had me ditch the book. I do not understand why they cho...more
Nicholas Jordan
A great selection of short stories written by a true master, well done Mr. Forsyth!
Lorin Lee Cary
I read the story "Whispering Wind" in this volume because a friend told me it was about Custer, and since I'd written The Custer Conspiracy, I wanted to see how Forsyth handled the general. It turned out to be a story in which Custer figured only briefly. The focus was on a scout said to be with him in June of 1876 who escaped the fate of others with GAC, and who time traveled into the 20th century, in a remarkable way seeking his beloved Cheyenne heart woman. It's a novella, well-written, fast...more
Angel Serrano
Conjunto de relatos cortos: El veterano, Arte puro; El milagro; El ciudadano; Brisa susurrante. El mejor es el que da título al libro, sobre la lealtad de los soldados hacia sus compañeros de armas y lo peligroso que es meterse con uno de ellos.
Amantran Gupta
Just brilliant.
Martha
Frederick Forsyth is a masterful novelist, and fleshes out even minor characters with background details. I felt that this technique wore a bit thin for me in this collection of 'short stories' (and I use that term loosley, since there are only 5 in the book, and they are long enough to be called novellas). That said, I enjoyed this collection, but a little detail does go an awfully long way in a short work. I guess I prefer short stories to get to the plot points and resolution with dispatch!
Filip
While I prefer novels to short stories, this book is a proof that Forsyth can do both. Most of the stories were quite nice and enjoyable but not great, but I give it 4 stars for the 'Art' story which I loved. I adore such Leverage-sque atmosphere, subtle cons and so on.

Oh, and on a side note - either Forsyth knows something about EVERYTHING - from combat and warfare to history of the Wild West and Italian art, or he is simply a master at conducting research on any given topic.
Hans Mastbroek
Een aantal korte verhalen. Niet altijd geloofwaardig maar goed en spannend en onderhoudend geschreven.
Rennie
Short stories from the guy who wrote 'Day of the Jackal' - The Native American/Custer's last stand was excellent.. The Herion smuggler tale from Bangkok to London, also well done.

The writer is English, so you just know his command of the language is.. ummm.. splendiferous. ;)
Poo1987 Roykaew
Collected stories by the master of thriller. Five novellas combine with imagination, historical facts and politics which were results of careful research. Forsyth is always good at twist-ending which you are certainly expected finding in all of these stories. I never lose my confidence that this is one of my favourites, though those exist so many that I am unable to regard how many there are.
Mark Garbin
Another Forsyth thriller more about the process than the result although the results are climactic. For those who enjoy the "how to" all the way from concept to execution, this is for you.
Skyqueen
Was not in the frame of mine to really listen to this collection except for two of the short stories, The Citizen and Custer's last stand survivor. The Citizen caught my ears because it is set on a aircraft which is my field. And the other one because I am always interested in the American West. Well written with enough moderate suspense to keep you engaged.
Bojanek
Really good book containing five not very long stories. Each cathing, surprising, and I found all of them really funny. I was really glad to find out that the author has the knowledge about some other topics than aircrafts, weapon or spies. I took that book as I had nothing to read just for a while from my hudband bookshelf and read it even before him ;)
  • San Andreas
  • Confessional
  • The Collected Short Stories
  • Single & Single
  • More Twisted: Collected Stories Vol. II
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Wheels
  • The Road To Omaha
  • The Wreck Of The 'Mary Deare'
  • Drenai Tales: Volume One (Drenai Tales, #1-3)
  • Famous and the Dead, The
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • Zero Hour (Nick Stone, #13)
  • Black Evening
  • The Assassini
From Wikipedia:

Frederick Forsyth, CBE (born 25 August 1938) is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra.

The son of a furrier, Forsyth was born in Ashford, Kent. He...more
More about Frederick Forsyth...
The Day of the Jackal The Odessa File The Fourth Protocol The Dogs of War The Devil's Alternative