Death Whispers (Death, #1)

Death Whispers (Death #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  863 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Almost fifteen-year-old Caleb Hart is a Cadaver-Manipulator in the year 2025.

When teens receive a government-sanctioned pharmaceutical cocktail during school, paranormal abilities begin manifesting... making the teens more powerful than the adults.

After Caleb discovers he has the rare, Affinity for the Dead, he must do whatever it takes to hide it from a super-secret gover...more
Kindle Edition, Second, 367 pages
Published March 31st 2011 by Tamara Rose Blodgett (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Whispers

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThoughtless by S.C. StephensEasy by Tammara WebberEffortless by S.C. StephensSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Greatest hidden EBOOKS
135th out of 1,150 books — 1,548 voters
Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingFate by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
245th out of 1,417 books — 2,291 voters

More lists with this book...

Audrey
Holy crap... So I can see where this story MIGHT be good... if the dialog wasnt SO boring. It's no where near well written. It COULD have been an awesome book. The story is original and interesting. I just really really cannot get past the he said she said and the random "cool" comments... It drove me insane!
Also, things like not explaining what the heck a "pulse" was till like the 3rd time it was used in the book. I didn't realize I should just KNOW what things were in 2025 or whatever year it...more
Alan
I had a few reservations about this one, but it ended up being a pretty good book. Written in a first person format of a young boy named Caleb Hart. The book starts out with Caleb finding out that he has an "Affinity of The Dead" when he starts hearing the thoughts of the frogs that they're dissecting in biology class.

I'll give you a little back history here, the book is set in the future(year 2025), and scientists have mapped the human genome. In doing so they found out that most humans are cap...more
Evie
Yes! Finally a story told from a male protagonist’s point of view! Ever since I read Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking Trilogy, I was on the hunt for another book like that. I thought Ness did a great job in his book, but Tamara Rose Blodgett did an even better one! I was literally blown away by her writing style and flawless storytelling. Tamara, are you really an Indie writer? It’s really hard to believe that!

Random rambling aside, let’s get down to the plot!

The protagonist of this book, a fourte...more
Once Upon
Its great as a reviewer when you have that chance and you find a diamond in the ruff. I believe strongly in reading Indie Authors and Self - published authors books, you can't imagine how many times I have read Amazing books from both ends. If we don't give the book a chance or author a chance these great books won't ever be discovered. So it pleases me to write my review for Death Whispers.

Death Whispers doesn't seems like its written by a unknown author, It has the quality of a big known auth...more
John
Death Whispers turned out much better than I was thinking. The idea of using the mapped genome to activate paranormal powers in children is a nice hook for the story. The kids seemed pretty realistic and were aware of their own limitations as kids. They still got in trouble but things with this level of weirdness of course it will happen. The middle school crushes and beginning relationship interests is done well. Though I must say Onyx the dog is one of my favorites. I loved how the author uses...more
Lori
This book is so unique! I loved it.It was well written and lacked annoying typos, misspellings and general sloppy errors that I usually find in young adult novels (ebooks and hard copy books from large publishers alike). It is well written and I enjoyed that it was from the perspective of a young "man". I love Jonesy. He kept cracking me up! He is definately a boy after my own heart. Of course in real life I would probably hate him (I just don't like teenagers). But in this book they are not onl...more
Tammy K.
Two things stand out the most with this story for me. The first is that it’s extremely "Young Adult" as in immature, childish characters. The second is that in spite of that the supernatural plot line was highly entertaining.
Let me try to break this down a little, first you should know the characters are ages 13-14 + adult figures. There is a talking dog. Well not exactly a talking dog, rather that the author gives voice to the dog’s internal thoughts, "the boy child, sent me those human good s...more
Christy
Let me start off by saying thank you to Tamara for the e-copy of Death Whispers. I actually had the book on my TBR list prior to winning it, so I was super excited to read it.

The story is set in the not too distant future when pubescent kids may or may not develop a paranormal ability, all thanks to government intervention. Sound fun? Not so much. When Caleb discovers he has one of the rarest abilities, all hell breaks loose. Turns out Caleb has Affinity For The Dead (AFTD), which means he has...more
A Book Vacation
I really like this novel. I especially love that the main character is male, as more often than not, lead roles in YA literature are female (why is that?). I’ve been looking for something along these lines to promote reading among my male student for a while, and thankfully, I’ve now found it. With a main character that can raise corpses, how can you go wrong?

It is obvious that Blodgett spent a lot of time writing Death Whispers, perfecting the scientific and technological aspects of this futuri...more
Lace
Jan 09, 2014 Lace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
9/15/2011
1st Reading

It was a great book, but seemed to have lots of grammatical errors, and that REALLY bugged me. But I'm just very weird that way. Other than that, it was a great book, and I can't wait to get the second book in the series!
***********************************************************
1/9/2014
2nd Reading:
I found the grammer improved, figured id mention that first since im weird like that.
the story itself is a fun read that sucks you into the lives of an amazing group of friends. o...more
Joan
dnf at 7%.I gave it a shot. but really - rolling eyes here - this starts in first person present tense, 'I am Caleb Hart' jumps to past tense jumps back to present, then past again.... There was far too much 'what I did in school today with my friends' (boring and pointless) and then we have the incident with the dog, which was totally inexplicable. The dialogue was clunky, the characters 2-dimensional and in the end I gave up. I couldn't really make sense of what was happening.
Kami
I wasnt sure about this book at first since the main character is a guy, and I am used to reading book that have female leads. But I was suprisingly astounded. I really loved this book. The kids in it crack me up, and the parents, well most of them, are great. On a few parts I am sitting here saying wtf are these boys thinking doing that, and then I realize well they are boys, and thats what boys do. Im starting on the 2nd book in the series right now.
Dianne
I don't know where to start! I LOVED this book! I felt like I was a fly on the wall listening to these kids talk unguarded...(fascinating vocabularies, by the way!) Even though the story takes place in the future, there were so many references to today's times and the semi-recent past, that it was all totally believable! Loved the characters, young teens at that in-between stage coming from so many different lifestyles. Great read!!!
Stephen
Death Whispers is a lot more fun than I was expecting. As a YA Urban Fantasy, there were so many directions it could have gone. In my opinion, there was as much X-men as there was Ghost Whisperer, and more X-Files than The Walking Dead. I plan to read the sequel(s) as well.

So, two thumbs up for Tamara Rose Blodgett and Death Whispers!
Yzabel Ginsberg
DNFed at 42%. I can't trudge through it any longer, not without booze, and I guess this is a sure sign I shouldn't go on.

I wanted to like this story so, so badly. You can't imagine. Necromancy is exactly the kind of magic (or, more generally, power) that fascinates me, for all the possibilities it offers and questions it raises, and from the blurb, I thought I would love this story. Even the acronym for Caleb's ability (AFTD - Affinity For The Dead) got my attention.

But I just can't, for the fol...more
Beth
EXCELLENT!!! What an incredible book. Tamara Rose Blodgett captures the essence of teen boy relationships and combines it perfectly with a fantastical paranormal tale.
Catherine
Aug 30, 2014 Catherine rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My worst enemy.
Shelves: 2014-read, own, reviewed
I was very disappointed with this book. Really disappointed. Based on the blurb, it sounds like a really good plot. Basically, a boy (Caleb Hart) develops the ability to raise bodies from the dead. During the novel, we also find that he has other cadaver related talents. Other teenagers have various other abilities; astral projection, fire related, empathy related, etc. However, the actual novel was a very poor follow through for the plot.

It basically starts off with a vague explanation of how t...more
Kimberly Spencer
So after a long break from reading/blogging/fun in general (worst decision ever), I finally finished Death Whispers by Tamara Rose Blodgett. And yes my friends, it was amazing. I don't usually go for books with male protags, but I lurved this one. It was definitely a fun read ... a little creepy (The kids have a thing for cemeteries), but fun. I don't want to give too much away, but it's basically about a group of kids who manifest powers after a government sanctioned vaccine or something. Their...more
Tabitha Rowland
It was hard for me to decide of this book was a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

The beginning was a bit slow for me and it took me a while to adjust to the tone. After a few chapters I had almost considered putting it on "the back burner" and starting a new book.

I'm quite glad I didn't.

I realized that the tone was supposed to reflect the age of the teens in the story, and I was judging too harshly. So I read on, and soon found myself quite addicted to the story line. I found myself really wanting to know what...more
Angie
The first thing that stood out to me about Death Whispers is that it's told from a male point of view! It was very interesting and different to be in the mind of a teenage boy. Even though I myself have never been a teenage boy, I thought the author did a great job capturing the teen boy essence, complete with smelly socks and an insatiable appetite! But Caleb isn't a normal teenage boy, even among those who develop paranormal abilities. He has a rare ability to raise the dead!

I loved the setup...more
Aaron Lewis
Stories with male leads aren’t normally my thing, and I wasn’t sure how far I’d get when I first started reading. But I was hooked by the end of the first page, and starting with a past event and then transitioning back to the present was what did it. It made me feel like the world inside Death Whispers had existed long before I’d opened the book, but at the same time I didn’t feel like I was struggling to catch up. Caleb’s memory of a disastrous day in Biology was the perfect place to start. It...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Reviewed for Free Book Dude for Aug. 27 2012

5 Stars!

I totally enjoyed this book and plan to immediately move on to the other books in the series. Author Tamara Rose Blodgett constructs an intricate framework in which her characters interact. Attuned to the adolescent patois, attitudes, and emotions, she skillfully draws both her young characters (most in eight grade and at or near puberty-a crucial factor in the plot) and the adults: parents, educators, school administrators, law enforcement per...more
Evan Peterson
*50 Book Challenge 2012, Book 38*
_Death Whispers_ by

After the bad taste left by my last foray into books provided for free on Amazon I surprised myself by jumping right into another one instead of a work or author already tried and true. I'm glad I did.

The most basic premise is this: imagine a world where government backed mapping of the human genome in 2010 leads to a vaccine all children receive that has the added bonus of giving most children a superhuman power during puberty. Now fast forwar...more
Scott
In Death Whispers by Tamara Rose Blodgett the human genome project has been finished and some amazing things were discovered. Human beings have the ability to harness paranormal powers! With this discovery the government becomes much more involved in everyone's lives as certain injections to help trigger these powers become mandatory. There are various types of power, but the rarest of all is affinity for the dead (AFTD). Caleb is a normal eighth grade boy, hanging out with his friends trying to...more
Skylar
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started this book, apart from it being YA. What I got was a cool paranormal story set in the futuristic 2025 with awesome attention to detail from extreme recycling, to Pulses, the mobile phones of the future. TRB has the most amazing imagination!
In the future, the teenage population not only have to deal with puberty but the possible onset of paranormal powers like Empath, Pyrokenesis, Telepathy and Affinity for the Dead(AFTD-corpse raising) just to na...more
Logan Rutherford
This is the best free book I have read, and it is better than most paid ones; Indie and Traditionally published alike. I loved how the story took place from a guys perspective. I'm a dude, and sometimes, reading all these YA books taking place from a chicks POV can get old (and unmanly). This is one of the most original books I have ever read. I love the different powers in the book world, and it makes me wish that all teens could get these powers in real life...almost. It was also cool to read...more
Sherri Dub
For a debut book, this author shows promise.
I like the plot of the story that she was trying to weave together, but the (Point-of-view) needed to be a bit clearer at times. It nearly felt like "head-popping" was going on, due to the lack of quotation marks around many speaking parts for the first-person narration of Caleb.
There were definite formatting problems, too. But, those can easily be fixed.
I'm not much of a zombie fan, but I did like the concept of these kids having special powers. At ti...more
David Fournier
Sep 09, 2011 David Fournier rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens and Young Adults
Tamara Rose Blodgett does an excellent job of character building at the beginning of the story, which helps to surround the reader with her characters. And I like the digs she makes about the differences in eating habits between male and female teens.

While I am not a fan of zombies, Tamara tells the story in an exciting way; to make it not a true zombie story. As in this case the zombies are tools to be used, just as a sorcerer would summon demons to use as tools. This story is a mix of Sci-Fi a...more
Kristy Halseth
The concept for this book is excellent. But it has so many flaws that I got disgusted in chapter five and don't know if I can even finish reading this which is sad as I bought it as a set. Which is so frustrating because it is so obvious that this could have been an really good book.

The writing is interesting but slightly weak and often dull. The format is annoying to read through. You get the idea that the writer thinks that teen boys are gross so she had to write them being a bit gross. By hig...more
Earicka
This series must be read in order. This is the first book. I miss the original version without all the added real life our world stuff like Obama and the RFID chips! The original version was more believable and chilling. Now I wish I had bought a hard copy so I could just read the original :( That said the book is still really good... It was just awesome before...

Caleb is growing up... The first sign of this for him is raising the dead as he passes out... Biology is so not his best subject! Diss...more
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Cloak
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Riser (The Riser Saga, #1)
  • Dark Earth
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Falling (Hemlock Bay, #1)
Tamara Rose Blodgett is the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of dark, romantic new adult novels, including A Terrible Love and its companion novel A Brutal Tenderness under the pen name Marata Eros. A passionate writer who loves interacting with her readers, Tamara lives in South Dakota with her husband.

Tamara Rose Blodgett BLOG: tamararoseblodgett.blogspot.com
Marata Eros BLOG (over...more
More about Tamara Rose Blodgett...
The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1) Blood Singers (Blood, #1) The Savage Blood (Savage, #2) Death Speaks (Death, #2) Death Screams (Death, #4)

“From DW:

I got it. “Here's the thing,” I said. "I'm not going to be the government's bitch.”
15 likes
“I couldn't have been more shocked if he pulled a pink elephant out of his ass!” 7 likes