Start by marking “This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  4,654 Ratings  ·  780 Reviews
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women
Published October 3rd 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published October 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about This I Believe, please sign up.

Hanadi

The Power of Love to Transform and Heal pg 144

Tomorrow will be a Better Day pg 194

Free Minds and Hearts at Work pg 197
(less)
Hanadi what is the main idea for the hardest work you will ever do?

David
This seems like such a promising concept for a book - "based on the NPR series of the same name, 80 essayists - from the famous to the previously unknown - complete the thought that begins the book's title".

But the result is - despite being a bestseller - a dreadful book. If I had checked it out in a bookstore, rather than buying it on Amazon, I might have figured it out from the back cover. Here are the four 'quotes from inside' that the publishers use as a teaser:

"I believe in the goodness of
Jan 18, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
In my commitment to read 52 books this year, I made a list of ones I want to read, have bought to read etc. This title was one that I had borrowed from the library, since it was recommended reading from Ali Edwards during an online class I took. It's from the NPR, and it's a collection of short essays from different people. On what they believe. It was a quick read. Great food for thought.

During reading this book, I started to question my own beliefs. Not the core ones. The biblical ones, or eve
Leela
Oct 16, 2007 Leela rated it it was amazing
This print copy of essays written and read for the NPR series by the same title is sweet and lovely, diverse, and by turns light and deep. From the pizza guy to barbeque, from prominent politicians to the mom down the block, it covers a lot of ground. The effect is to generate conversations and intimacies that might otherwise never have developed. For starting conversations that you never have the time to start, for getting into the heads of people we think we know, and for stimulating personal ...more
Danine
Jun 20, 2008 Danine rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Danine by: Ellen
Like a lot people I listen to "This I Believe" segments on NPR. I am so inspired every time I hear one of these essays read aloud on the radio. I love how three words make me think about the way I see life and evaluate my own personal philosophies of life. When I found out that there was a book I made it a goal to read it.

I am a natural pessimist. This I believe. I LOVE being nice to strangers and to the people in my life. Sometimes, though, I wonder why I even bother. Does anyone care? There i
Mara
Jun 24, 2015 Mara rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
I really wish I had listened to this in smaller chunks. It's a lot to take in. Some of the essays were not exceptional, but others were absolutely wonderful. Topics ranged from the rule of law, love, and freedom to barbecue and jazz. And listening to this collection, rather than reading it, really does add a lot to the experience. Not to mention the opportunity to hear such voices as Helen Keller, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Jackie Robinson.
Deb
Feb 18, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
If you had 3 minutes to clearly state what your beliefs are, could you do it? What would you say? Would you talk about your religious beliefs, or the lessons your mother taught you that you still live by, ideas from books you've read, or the things you learned through living your life?

This collection of "personal philosophies of remarkable men and women" consists of short essays, written both in the 1950's and in the early 21st century, as part of the "This I Believe" series on NPR. The series
Cindy
Sep 20, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of essays from the famous and not-so-famous about their personal life philosophies, I found this to be very thought-provoking. Some essays from the original 1950s series were mixed in with the more contemporary ones, and there's even one that spans both. There are essays covering heartfelt and controversial subjects - religion, patriotism, bigotry - and there are less serious subjects, such as being nice to the pizza guy.

Here are a few selections - I'll include the author and time p
JG (The Introverted Reader)
In a collection of short essays, men and women from all walks of life share their defining beliefs.

I listen to NPR in between audiobook downloads but I seem to only be in the car for the news and Marketplace, so I've never heard any of these essays. I enjoyed them immensely.

Ranging from funny to serious, from heartfelt to tongue-in-cheek, there's a wide range of personal voices and creeds to be found in this collection. I particularly liked that essays from the first run of the series, hosted by
Tricia Nociti
Apr 16, 2015 Tricia Nociti rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading these essays. Written by common citizens as well as easily recognized people of fame, they tell of the personal philosophies that these people have developed in their lives. Some are religious, some are political, some are very deep and philosophical, and some are light and funny, but all are worth the time spent reading them. I read the book as I read a novel, but honestly, you could just sit and pick it up whenever you have a couple of minutes and cherry pick an essay ...more
Gretchen
Jul 15, 2011 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listen to the recorded version rather than read the book, because the original pieces were written for radio and are read by the authors themselves. That was exciting--to hear the voices of Eleanor Roosevelt, Oscar Hammerstein, and even Helen Keller. I'm not surprised that the people on GoodReads who read the print version overall seem less impressed than those who listened.

One of the beauty of these pieces, it seems to me, is the instruction writers received to frame their pieces affirmatively,
Kip
Aug 06, 2013 Kip rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I've heard a number of the essays on NPR, and I've visited the website (www.thisibelieve.org) on multiple occasions to read these "personal philosophies of remarkable men and women." This book brings a lot of the better essays together in a single volume.

There are a number of reasons why I was drawn to this book in the first place and why I found it inspiring after I finished reading it:

1) I am fascinated by the whole notion of faith or belief--what it is or isn't, how it is
Travis
Jan 04, 2014 Travis rated it liked it
Reading this book was a little like eating a somewhat overcooked ear of fresh corn on the cob: It still tastes ok, but you wonder with every bite how anybody can screw up something as promising as fresh corn. This compilation of essays (heavily edited, I suspect, since most of them have the same ubiquitous voice) solicits answers to the titular question from ordinary as well as highly accomplished and often famous people. And the editors didn't exactly screw them up, but they did gather together ...more
Nancy (NE)
Dec 01, 2013 Nancy (NE) rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book based on the well known radio series by the same name. The concept arose out of a meeting between Ward Wheelock, a Philadelphia advertising exec; William Paley, the founder and CEO of CBS; Donald Thornburgh, general manager of the local Philadelphia CBS affiliate and broadcaster Edward R. Murrow. They "bemoaned the spiritual state of the nation - that 'material values were gaining and spiritual values were losing.'" This was blamed on economic instability, the shadow of war, and ...more
Sara
Feb 02, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction, essays
Based on the NPR program of the same name, this collection features 80 essays written by people both famous and not detailing the core beliefs that define them. Some of these essays were light, funny, and whimsical, while others were deeply spiritual, philiosophical, and politically charged; one even brought me and the co-worker who was listening with me to tears. However, there was not a single one that failed. Each told a unique story about the individual who wrote it.

I had the pleasure of lis
Dave Gaston
A tough one to rank and file, such a wide swatch of opinions from both contemporary and historical composers from all walks of life. A super idea that first became popular in the 50’s and then was reborn by NPR in the 90’s with the advent of web write ins. Each pronouncement is a maximum of 750 words. Collectively, these emotionally charged essays read more like dense, rich poetry. Imagine stuffing the outcome of a lifetime of experiences into a two page letter called, “This I Believe.” That ...more
I got this book from a buy-one get-one book sale at school. It was Christmas time and I wanted something uplifting to read over the two-week break. I ended up forgetting it at school so it was waiting for me in January. I began reading it but... well, I'm not sure what happened but I didn't enjoy it so I put it aside for a while.

It sat on my desk for months. Then one day, I picked it up and began to re-read. And it inspired me. I don't know what I was missing in my first attempt at reading but,
Mary
Nov 23, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
In 2010 all the new freshman at Florida State University received this book as part of our orientation pack. The point, I think, was that FSU wanted us all to read it before school started in September. I doubt any of us did. It took be 5 years to get to it, and honestly, I think it's more potent in my life now than it would have been back when I was 18.

The book is a selection of stories, lessons, and musings of what people believe. I enjoyed many of the chapters, to name a few: "An Ideal of Se
Caroline
Sep 16, 2008 Caroline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a promotional copy with the idea I use it to teach College Writing. Granted, the premise can work for smaller assignments, but the idea of using this as a model for writers seems highly flawed, given how surface-level and bland most of the writing is. Most essays seem selected based on WHO wrote them rather than the quality of writing, and some of the writers take for granted that anyone cares about hearing what they believe in the first place.

Love: Eve Ensler's "The Power an
Judith
May 09, 2011 Judith rated it liked it
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women edited by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman includes a delightful assortment of essays from the 1950's and the 2000's “This I Believe” radio programs. But – and it is a significant “but” – my opinion is colored by the fact that I needed to read a large number of these brief essays, I wanted to learn a variety of ways to approach the task of writing such essays, and to judge how the book would facilitate a reading and writing program ...more
Glenna
Dec 06, 2012 Glenna rated it it was amazing
This is based on a radio show that was started in the 50's. A very interesting collection of essays about what different people believe. I listened to this "book" over the last several months. (a few at a time -- It's one of those things that can overwhelm you all at once). Even though I didn't agree with all of the beliefs, it was a great way to make one think about what their own beliefs are.
Faythe Swanson
Feb 23, 2012 Faythe Swanson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book from cover to cover & was sad when it came to an end! I find it interesting to discover what other people & why (life experience). I came to a point in my life where I began to challenge myself, "What do I believe? & I mean REALLY believe - not what OTHER people TELL me to believe! I'm still on my journey & loving the process. I enjoy reading about others' journeys, too.
Nancy
Apr 14, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. It was delightful to learn what people believe and why. The span of their topics ranged from politics to religion and some I had to go over again and made me want to reflect my own beliefs and how I felt about things. Some of them were told in the voice of the person like Eleanor Roosevelt. One of my favorites had to do with going to funerals.
Shannon
Apr 29, 2009 Shannon rated it it was ok
With essays from Temple Grandin, Gloria Steinem, and Brian Greene, I thought I would really enjoy this compilation. I didn't. It contains pretentious, self-indulgent rubbish. Newt Gingrich authored the greatest read. Need I say more?
Nancy
Oct 09, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend the audio version. Hearing each person's beliefs in their own words is extremely powerful.
Melissa Aguirre
Jan 24, 2016 Melissa Aguirre rated it really liked it
Very easy read. This compilation of personal life lessons of various individuals was inspiring. It motivated me to take a moment and ponder on my own life lessons I've been blessed with.
Tonya Rivas-rios
Nov 16, 2012 Tonya Rivas-rios rated it it was amazing
I dare you to read all the stories and NOT shed one tear. I dare you.
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I have both read and listened to This I Believe. I highly recommend, but found it overwhelming to read/listen to one essay after another. I have used this with two different book clubs and it led to outstanding discussion...but again, only discussing one or two essays at a time.

Also...read the author's bio before the essay for context.
Dec 01, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Some essays were excellent. Some were good. Some were just okay.

This might be just my personal preference, but the ones that were not wrestling with religious faith were more interesting.
Shannon Moore
Oct 29, 2016 Shannon Moore rated it it was amazing
This book was inspiring, controversial, and entertaining. I loved that it includes philosophies from people of all walks of life.
Sabrina Butler
Nov 15, 2016 Sabrina Butler rated it it was ok
did not finish
Play Book Tag: This I Believe - Jay Allison, 4 Stars 4 14 Feb 04, 2016 06:07PM
  • This I Believe: On Love
  • Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • 12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today
  • Who Are You People?: A Personal Journey Into the Heart of Fanatical Passion in America
  • When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
  • The Longing for Home: Reflections at Midlife
  • If I Live to Be 100: Lessons from the Centenarians
  • Paper Trails: True Stories of Confusion, Mindless Violence, and Forbidden Desires, a Surprising Number of Which Are Not About Marriage
  • And It Was Good: Reflections on Beginnings (Genesis, #1)
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • The Oxford Project
  • The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
  • The Mask of Motherhood: How Becoming a Mother Changes Our Lives and Why We Never Talk About It
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • Breakfast on Mars and 37 Other Delectable Essays
  • The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas
Jay Allison is one of public radio's most honored producers. He has produced hundreds of nationally broadcast documentaries and features for radio and television. His work has earned him the duPont-Columbia and five Peabody Awards, and he was the 1996 recipient of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's Edward R. Murrow Award for outstanding contributions to public radio, the industry's highest ...more
More about Jay Allison...

“In my humdrum life, the daily battle hasn't been good vs. evil. It's hardly so epic. Most days, my real battle is doing good vs. doing nothing. -Deirdre Sullivan” 16 likes
“Beliefs are choices. No one has authority over your personal beliefs. Your beliefs are in jeopardy only when you don't know what they are.” 11 likes