Start by marking “The Discontinuity Guide” as Want to Read:
The Discontinuity Guide

The Discontinuity Guide

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A brilliant attempt to stitch the 26 years of Doctor Who into a coherent narrative. This is an essential reference for fans and a hilarious introduction for newcomers.
Published October 1st 2004 by Monkeybrain (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Discontinuity Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Discontinuity Guide

Doctor Who by Brian MinchinDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Oli SmithDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Doctor Who ultimate list
194th out of 240 books — 18 voters
Doctor Who by Jonathan    MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
156th out of 288 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

James
With the Horror channel rerunning old Doctor Who episodes, it seemed like fun to read through these descriptions of the old episodes as I was watching them...
Nicholas Kaufmann
Hilarious and brutally honest, this is probably my favorite reference book on classic WHO.
Doug
Apr 09, 2014 Doug rated it really liked it
I've marked this as read today, though really it was finished months ago. I made my way through all of the old episodes of Classic Who via DVD, CD, and Audible [where appropriate] and as I went I read the entries for those episodes in this book. Often more than once, so I've probably read this a couple-three times over. It makes for an interesting extra bit of insight into each episode, with some plot notes, some big areas of continuity questions, and a lot of fun sub-bits like Fashion Victims, ...more
Jacqueline O.
Saying I've read this is a bit of a mis-nomer -- it's like saying I've read Webster's Dictionary. But this book is about as useful, which is to say extremely! As the title implies...this excellent book points out all the gaffes, on-screen bloopers, and other "opps" of Classic Doctor Who>. Definitely a book every Doctor Who fan should own!
Leela42
Feb 09, 2011 Leela42 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and amusing taken in moderate doses. Many factual errors (makes you wonder about the quality of the tapes the authors say they consulted) and frequently unnecessarily complicated retconning. Nevertheless, if you want to look up a Doctor Who factoid this book is the most likely one to have it.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 28, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Take the old Program Guide, replace each story synopsis with vigorous, pithy reviews, add in comments about origins, goofs, fluffs, and continuity debates...and a second classic non-fiction bible for Doctor Who fandom is born.
Paul Doody
Jun 16, 2010 Paul Doody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and witty guide to this great TV show. Wonderful.
Matthew Kresal
Jul 25, 2011 Matthew Kresal rated it it was amazing
There are only two Doctor Who guides I would recommend getting: Lance Parkin's Ahsitory and this book by the trio of Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping. While Ahistory is essential to any Doctor Who fans library for putting the whole range of stories into a "historical" context this book is essential for a whole different reason. It's a guide to the original series and does so with considerable tongue and cheek style.

For one thing this isn't your typical TV show guide. It isn't full of
Sammy
Sep 29, 2015 Sammy rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Harrumph.

I know this is heresy, because when this work was released, it apparently changed the way TV guidebooks were written. I'm sure this is true, and I'm sure this book was a godsend when it first came out, prior the DVD/mainstream internet era.

But those days are gone, and as a 23 year old who's relatively new to 'Who', I somewhat regret this purchase. (Well, not really, because it's essential for any collection due to its legacy, but...)

Perhaps I've been spoiled by the excellent 'About Tim
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 21, 2007 Nicholas Whyte rated it it was amazing
http://nhw.livejournal.com/599526.html[return][return]Yeah, yeah, I know that almost all of the text is also available on-line. But there's nothing like dead trees (especially if you are in the middle of a long plane flight). This is a great compilation of odd facts about the series, including most particularly an attempt to introduce consistency to such matters as the Doctor's age, his academic qualifications, the histories of the Cybermen and of the Daleks, and Mars. Interesting to see the for ...more
Evan
Aug 05, 2008 Evan rated it really liked it
I used to adore this godawful show when I would watch it on the local PBS affiliate in the 1990s with my little boy. It allowed us to enjoy some wholesome fun and sparked our mutual imaginations and love of science fiction. We even talked about going to see Patrick Troughton at a sci-fi convention in Chicago, which we didn't do, alas, and he died very soon thereafter. I have since tried to watch this show, but can't. Without sharing this in the company of a young sensibility, the flaws of the sh ...more
Uther Dean
Feb 16, 2014 Uther Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The high-water mark of obsessively nerdish programme guides that all others (even those by the same authors) will fail to measure up to.
Reuben Herfindahl
I've read this book at least 4 or 5 times, but this is my first time in a decade or so. It defines a genre and it a must read.

But on re-read I'd forgotten just how hard they are on the Pertwee era. I'm pretty sure the writers have learned better in their later years.
Bernard O'Leary
Jun 23, 2015 Bernard O'Leary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indispensible
Mark
Excellent guide book for the original Doctor Who series. Very loving and knowledgeable and funny too. It gives critical reevaluations of all of the episodes and challenges conventional fan attitudes towards many of them.
James Howard
Aug 08, 2012 James Howard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
I love this book. Honestly, it is such a fantastic guide for the classic Doctor Who series. If I find myself watching an old episode, I will reach for this in heartbeat as my go to reference.
Shannon Appelcline
Unfortunately, just adequate. There's too much time discussing minutia and too little going after the big picture of the episodes.
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Shane Charles
Shane Charles marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Isabella Olson
Isabella Olson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Michael A Morin
Michael A Morin rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
JHat
JHat marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
  • Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of the Doctor Who Universe
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The 60s: Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: Alien Bodies
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • The Well-Mannered War
  • Doctor Who: Vampire Science
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Blood Heat
  • Doctor Who: The Inside Story
  • Doctor Who: The Also People
  • Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: The Shooting Scripts
  • Doctor Who: City at World's End
  • Doctor Who: Marco Polo (Doctor WhoTarget Library, #94)
  • Doctor Who: The Two Doctors (Doctor Who, #100)
  • Doctor Who: The Highlanders (Target Doctor Who Library, No 90)
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell...

“As my old friend Mac Hulke always used to say, ‘All you need for television is an original idea – it doesn’t necessarily have to be your original idea.” 1 likes
“Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.” 1 likes