A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas

A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This book looks at the reality behind the legends of Blackbeard, Calico Jack Rackham and several other cutthroats who sailed the high seas. It portrays the pirates, their weapons, ships, hideouts...and their victims.
Published January 15th 2004 by Booksales (first published September 1st 2003)

Claire
Instead of a riveting, informative narrative, "History of Pirates" is a disorganized and barely readable clump of anecdotes. Some topics are better fleshed out than others, but the overall book suffers from poor writing, an inattention to detail and an unbelievable number of typos. Now I know why it was relegated to the bargain bin where I found it in Greenwich, England a few years ago. Useful as a reference, but a disappointing read.
Lexie Gorjanc
Lots of spelling and grammatical errors - but otherwise a good book :)
Starbubbles
Feb 16, 2013 Starbubbles rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: history
This book was awful. And yes, I was full of aw (the origin of awful) in how heinous this book was. I cringe at the thought of it being read by others and thought of as a creditable history. I am not saying the information was falsified, but it was not cited, at all. There were no footnotes, annotated bibliography, or any bibliography for that fact. Most historians will cite their work unless they are from the turn of the twentieth century or before, or are extremely established in their specialt...more
Christopher
An interesting read. The author focuses mainly on the French and English privateers of the Caribbean, the ones who operated with letters of marque from their goverment's officials against the Spanish. I find it intriguing that these pirates operated in a very democratic manner, and that "the pirate life" was in many cases preferred to the life at sea normally offered. Being a Floridian and somewhat versed in the Spanish history of the state, I did not know that there was originally a fort (Fort...more
Leigh
I read the first 30 pages and had to put it down. It reads like a 4th grader's book report, complete with random statements and incorrect word usage. I have a minor obsession with pirates, and I was looking forward to learning more, but this book was sadly lacking. Very disappointing.
Adam Fleming
Pretty interesting book that gives you the straight dope on various pirates throughout history. It paints a picture that's hardly like Capt. Jack Sparrow, and more like a bunch of guys who were normal guys for the most part; they just broke the law every once in a while.
Holly
Dec 12, 2008 Holly is currently reading it
This is a good history of pirates book, although a little random in it's facts. Nigel Cawthorne is an expert in the subject, but not always great at stringing his sentences in a completely coherent manner.
Steve
This book reads more like a list than a book. Not nearly enough detail where there should be, and far too much of it where there shouldn't be. Badly needed an editor.
Larry
Argh, matey, here be true stories of the pirates.
Tom Alexander
Tom Alexander marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
Mar 15, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Shawn
Shawn is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Mirela
Mirela marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Nigel Cawthorne is an Anglo-American writer of fiction and non-fiction, and an editor. He has written more than 80 books on a wide range of subjects and has contributed to The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph Daily Mail and The New York Times. He has appeared on television and BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Many of Nigel Cawthorne's books are compilations of popular history, without footnotes, referen...more
More about Nigel Cawthorne...
Serial Killers and Mass Murderers: Profiles of the World's Most Barbaric Criminals Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times The World's Greatest Serial Killers (World's Greatest) Sex Lives of the Popes Witch Hunt: History of a Persecution