Start by marking “The Scots: A Genetic Journey” as Want to Read:
The Scots: A Genetic Journey

The Scots: A Genetic Journey

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here, guided by Jim Wilson’s researches into Scottish genetic history, he (Alistair Moffat) tackles on the of the biggest stories possible: linking up the story of the earliest Scots to the earliest men... He is wonderfully able to communicate the epic elements of the story – which matters because that’s precisely what man’s survival has been’ - David Robinson, The Scotsma...more
Published 2011 by Birlinn

To ask other readers questions about The Scots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scots

Moira McPartlin
This is a fascinating book. Not only does it describe in easy language the genetic history if the Scots, it links it with the history of the country, language, place names and family names. It has rekindled my interest in Scottish history.
Holly McIntyre
Fascinating and frustrating. I read the book to prepare for an upcoming trip to Scotland and to learn more about DNA-based genealogical research. The book was helpful on both counts, but wasn't what I expected.

The DNA information was scattered throughout the book like pearls before swine. If gathered together it would constitute one good academic article. I had hoped for more.

I had not expected the wealth of archeological, anthropological, and historical information which added great insight int...more
Mark Hammond
I am totally fascinated by genetic science as applied to genealogy. The Scots are an amazing people, the variety of races interacting there, and complexity of events over the centuries and millenniums, is mind boggling. I will refer to this book many times over the years as I unlock my own DNA heritage.
The reading was a bit difficult at times because of my lack of knowledge of certain places, and my own weakness on British Isles history, but the presentation of data presented was more than enou...more
Melissa Renee
Hard scientific facts crafted into a beautiful and epic story of the Scottish people.
Avis Vacheresse

I am interest in the history of my family ,so when traveling with my daughter in Scotland this book was brought to my attention by our tour guide. I have spent many an hour on the Internet and going through books trying to trace my father and mother's family. This book helped me understand that to say I am of English /Scottish heritage is an understatement ! Maybe one day I will be able to have my DNA traced and find the routes my family travelled to get where they are today. A very enjoyable r...more
Catherine Kesseler
Great descriptions of the events that influence migrations, natural disasters, climate change, etc. The inclusion of the accounts of Herodotus and Bede helped in my understanding of the early history. I would have liked to see a chart or something of the ydna markers as I had trouble keeping them straight.
David Comerford
Using genetics to do history is a great idea, but Alastair Moffat really has to avoid writing the same book over and over again. I've also bought his 'Sea Kingdoms: A history of Celtic Britain and Ireland' but now I think it'll end up being a repeat of this book and his Faded Map book.
Judit Harangozó
Brilliant book about modern genetics and the history of mankind. Recommended in general, not only if you are interested in the Scots, as the book literally goes back to "Adam and Eve" and reveals the findings of recent genetic research.
Gail Walker
Absolutely amazing journey for anyone with Scottish roots or anyone who think they may have Scottish roots. Totally recommended!
Pam
A fascinating history Scotland, but I agree with other reviewers that the author speculates on some things too much.
Kat
simply brilliant
Dr. E
Dr. E added it
Sep 15, 2014
Jimmie
Jimmie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Crystal Raymond-Edwards
Crystal Raymond-Edwards marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Græme Brown
Græme Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Julie Davis
Julie Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
LD
LD marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Angus Mcfarlane
Angus Mcfarlane marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cbruce
Cbruce marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Before Scotland: The Story of Scotland Before History The Sea Kingdoms: The History of Celtic Britain & Ireland The Highland Clans Arthur And The Lost Kingdoms The Wall: Rome's Greatest Frontier