Start by marking “The Laertian Gamble” as Want to Read:
The Laertian Gamble

The Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #12)

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When a mysterious alien woman from the planet Laertes convinces Dr. Bashir to gamble for her at Quark’s gaming tables, things seem innocent enough. Yet the more Dr. Bashir wins, the more things go wrong in the Federation: Ore ships vanish. Planets lose their atmosphere. Suns go nova. The cause and effect is hard to understand, but is proven by the bizarre Laertian science ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 273 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by Pocket Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Laertian Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laertian Gamble

Carolin
Reading this book was the first time I ever got in touch witch Star Trek. I've never managed to watch it on TV somehow and I put my hands on one of the books. So, my first impression is that of having travelled to an interesting universe that doesn't differ so much from other big sci-fi series. And that was the part I really liked: the planets, the people and the life on the space station.

The story is about the humans and non-humans living on the Deep Space Nine, a space station located near the
Weavre
Jan 02, 2009 Weavre rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: star-trek
I take it back ... I hadn't read this one before, after all. If I had, I surely would have remembered:

This is, without a doubt, the WORST Star Trek novel ever.

There's no character development, and the plot is just plain stupid. The setting is inconsistent with the Star Trek universe. Sheckley stages arguments between Dax and Kira in which, partway through, the two inexplicably switch sides--without acknowledgement of any kind, leaving the impression that the author simply forgot which character
Dianah
I have to caveat this review by saying my deep affection for Robert Sheckley makes it almost impossible for me to be impartial.

Having said that, my advice to anyone reading this book is to think of it as a draft of a non-Trek novel instead of a Deep Space Nine book. The dialogue is the first clue that Sheckley isn't really in the head of any of the characters. There are several contradictions in the story that make me wonder if an editor looked it over before publishing.

So why is this book 3 st
I honestly wonder how this manuscript managed to get published. I sensed that PocketBook's standards were never terribly high for Trek fiction -- the focus seemed to be on quantity rather than quality -- but this one.... At times it seemed I was reading a sci-fi book in which original characters' names had been remove and the names of DS9 characters had been substituted because the characters seemed so...ambiguous.

The storytelling method, for me, left a lot to be desired. We moved from scene to
Denise
The worst of the DS9 novels so far - the characterisations are flat and frequently completely off and the plot has more holes than substance and gets weirder and sillier with every chapter.
Librarymouse
As far as Star Trek tie-in novels go (and there have been some real stinkers!) I have to say that this is one of the worst.

Sheckley really doesn't seem to be familiar with the source material - his characterizations are all at least a little off, if not downright bizarre. The plot is reasonable enough, inasmuch as anything is reasonable in Star Trek, but the execution is... not so good. The story is supposed to be a comedy, and I can tell which parts were meant to be funny because they stick ou
Aaron M
This is book is almost Troll 2 bad. So bad that it starts to become good. It's clear the author barely watched DS9 before writing this.
Dark-Draco
I'm not really sure what I thought of this. I quite liked the premise, but the style started to annoy me after a bit. Ridiculously short chapters and a way of writing that felt the author was takig the piss out of the Star Trek world rather than embracing it. And what exactly is Complexity Theory? He somehow manages to have every single character in the book avoid describing what it means! That's not so good for the reader!
rivka
Mar 12, 2008 rivka rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only die-hard Trekkies
Shelves: startrek
There are great ST novels, and then there are books like this one. It wanted very badly to be another How Much for Just the Planet, but it failed miserably. Sometimes logic and rationality applied; other times they flew out the window. No consistency.

And the ending came out of nowhere.

Odo's 'adventure' is really the only great bit.
Angela
A fun book. Quark nearly loses the station when he gambles more than he has. It's amusing the way the situation keeps unfolding and doesn't take itself too seriously. A good read.
Jenni
Jenni added it
Apr 10, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Mar 29, 2015
Neal
Neal marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Antimatter
  • Proud Helios
  • Warchild
  • Fallen Heroes
  • Devil in the Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #11)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • The Big Game
  • Betrayal
  • Valhalla
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Station Rage (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #13)
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • Saratoga
  • Warped (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • The 34th Rule
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
One of science fiction's great humorists, Sheckley was a prolific short story writer beginning in 1952 with titles including "Specialist", "Pilgrimage to Earth", "Warm", "The Prize of Peril", and "Seventh Victim", collected in volumes from Untouched by Human Hands (1954) to Is That What People Do? (1984) and a five-volume set of Collected Stories (1991). His first novel, Immortality, Inc. (1958), ...more
More about Robert Sheckley...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Emissary
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter
  • Proud Helios
  • Valhalla
Immortality, Inc. The Status Civilization Dimension of Miracles (Dimension of Miracles #1) Mindswap Untouched By Human Hands