Start by marking “The Case of the Baker Street Irregular” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Baker Street Irregular

The Case of the Baker Street Irregular (Andrew Tillet, Sara Wiggins & Inspector Wyatt #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Brought to London under mysterious circumstances by his tutor, a young boy seeks the help of Sherlock Holmes when his tutor is kidnapped and he himself is threatened with the same fate.
Published 1978 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Baker Street Irregular, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Baker Street Irregular

Flannery
Sherlock Holmes is basically a literary superhero to me. Sure his weaknesses are a little more interesting than most but he holds the same appeal to me as comic books do to fanboys. (or girls!) I am just one huge grin at all of the quick conversations, random factoids and asides, and during the eventual wrap-up when the billions of threads get sewn up tightly in a way that only Sherlock Holmes would ever be able to figure. A Goodreads friend sent me a copy of this book because she knows how much ...more
Wendy Darling
A fantastic series that I loved as a kid and still holds up for adults. Well-written, engrossing mysteries with engaging characters and just enough of Sherlock himself to whet the appetite for investigation and adventure.
Andrew’s always wondered about his parents. They’ve both been a mystery to him – his father dead, his mother absent. And now that Aunt Agnes is dead, it seems that he’ll never discover the secret of his parentage.

He’s just arrived in London with Mr. Dennison, his tutor and guardian. The two of them have never been close, but when Andrew sees Mr. Dennison being forced into a cab driven by a mysterious broken-nosed man, he’s alarmed. His alarm turns to fright the next night when that very same cab
Nancy
This is a fascinating story about Roald Dahl, well known and loved as an author of children's books, who served as a spy for the British in Washington, D.C. during World War II, after being too injured to continue in combat. The British felt the war could not be won without the participation of the United States, and thus their goal was to encourage in any way possible, to get the isolationist United States involved.

Dahl, along with Ian Fleming, Noel Coward and a cast of others less well known,
Cathrine Bonham
This was a book that I had read when I was much younger and was glad to find that I enjoyed it just as much as an adult. I know I understood it a lot better having recently read the Origanal Holmes stories by Doyle.

I think that the adventures of a young man named Andrew Craigie ties in really well with the case that Holmes is working on and those of you who read it solely for the Holmes element won't be disappointed. References to Doyle occur frequently in the conversations between Holmes and W
Cross Kaien
Best Sherlock Holmes I have ever read aside from the originals. I loved how amazingly rich the case was , it was a refreshing Delightful Read.
Alexis
Reading the originals I didn't expect this version (from a different author) to be as good as the originals but this story/version was exactly the way I wanted it to be. It tells the story of Andrew, a boy who doesn't know who his parents are and is living with a guardian. They travel to London where his guardian is kidnapped. Andrew finds Sherlock Holmes, who helps him to find not only his guardian but also to find out about his past. The beginning kind of dragged but once you were into the sto ...more
Quirkyreader
A quick read that includes the famous Baker Street detective Sherlock Holmes.
Will Golder
this is an amazing book for people who like mystery and suspense
Amy
This book was so slow that I was tempted to put it down. I only kept at it because it was pretty short. I know this is supposed to focus more on the boy, Andrew, but the early on parts where we got glimpses of Sherlock and actual scenes with him were very boring and dull. He lacked the spark that makes him unique.

But, about half way through when we were introduced to Ben the blind man, the book picked way up. It's obvious who it is, and I was on alert for any sort of clue as to what he was up to
Jay
This was a really interesting book. It's a different author telling a Sherlock Holmes story. I thought he did a really good job of capturing the feel of the original, while telling a new story. I read this aloud to my kids... now I hope they'll go off and read more Sherlock Holmes stories themselves. (We did have to discuss some of the words they were unfamiliar with, but a lot of the vocabulary was easily understood from context.)
Jessica
This story was exactly what I wanted it to be: a fun mystery for YA. It tells the story of Andrew, a boy who doesn't know who his parents are and is living with a guardian. They travel to London where his guardian is kidnapped. Andrew finds Sherlock Holmes, who helps him to find not only his guardian but also to find out about his past.

It was a fun and quick read.
Sherry
This was a great book! Not great in the sense of a classic, but great in the sense that it kept you wondering: Who is this kid? Why is someone chasing him? Why has his guardian disappeared? Are his new friends really friends? There should be more books like this!
Stephanie
This book was one of my favorites way back when. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I still like it now. Thank heavens cynicism hasn't ruined everything for me.
Robin
This was a book I'd considered great as a kid-- the plot twists were unexpected and genius. Rereading it as an adult was disappointing. (It was contrived/predictable.)
Lafcadio
Aug 14, 2014 Lafcadio rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fly
It's the source of the reference for the army of children in my favorite book. Well, maybe not this book specifically, but the Baker Street Irregulars in general.
A wonderful YA/children's book that is tangentally about Sherlock Holmes, and yet entirely it's own story. Well written and enjoyable for a child or an adult.
Libby
My mom read this out loud to me and my brother when we were little. One of the best "thriller/suspense" books for a younger age group.
Sarah Smith
I felt like I had no clue what was going on in this book.
Cindy
This was a pretty good takeoff on Sherlock Holmes.
Aryaan S
It was good and had a lot os suspense.
Autumn
it was okay..............
Cws
JM4 New
Bee Leng
Bee Leng marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Samuel
Samuel is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Candice Beane
Candice Beane marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson
  • Throwing Shadows
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Great Wheel
  • Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (The Porcelain Dog #1)
  • Another Scandal in Bohemia (Irene Adler, #4)
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Constable & Toop
  • Finding Buck McHenry

Mr. Newman, who was born in Manhattan, began his career as a writer for radio shows. In 1944, he was in charge of the radio portion of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's re-election campaign. He also wrote ''Search for Tomorrow'' and ''Peyton Place'' episodes for television.

From 1973 to 1988, he wrote books for y
More about Robert Newman...

Andrew Tillet, Sara Wiggins & Inspector Wyatt (9 books)
  • The Case of the Vanishing Corpse
  • The Case of the Somerville Secret
  • The Case of the Threatened King
  • The Case of the Etruscan Treasure
  • The Case of the Frightened Friend
  • The Case of the Murdered Players
  • The Case of the Indian Curse
  • The Case of the Watching Boy
Merlin's Mistake The Case of the Vanishing Corpse The Case of the Somerville Secret The Case of the Threatened King The Case of the Frightened Friend