Start by marking “Maybe (Maybe Not)” as Want to Read:
Maybe (Maybe Not)

Maybe (Maybe Not)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,209 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Bestselling author Fulghum believes that "truth is stranger than fiction" and proves it in this new collection of wise and witty inspirational essays--now available in large print.

From the Hardcover edition.
Paperback, Large Print, 236 pages
Published June 23rd 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Maybe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybe

natalie
Dec 16, 2016 natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
člověk, který se nestydí, být ve svých 80 letech dítětem, bude mít vždy v mé knihovně místo.
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was beautiful, and great fun to read.

Fulghum is a master at showing us particular aspects of a full life, without ever preaching. Not only did he show, he also lets us hear and smell and taste and touch. He made me cry over Beethoven's 9th!

"Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, 'because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,' it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, 'because I am not an eye, I do not
Adelina
Aug 21, 2008 Adelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature individuals
Shelves: own
I was given this book around the 8th grade. It was a hard read but I managed through it, and was able to relate to some experiences he talked about. This book is philosophical, and really makes you think about things. I plan on reading it again now that I am older and have a newer perspective on life.
Veena
Mar 12, 2014 Veena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad Fulghum book, but have read better ones by him. My favorite chapter in this, is the one where he talks about Greek arranged marriages and their take on the meaning of 'making love'...hint - takes a lifetime!
David
May 15, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kind of like sitting with a wise old man and listening to his stories about life. I've read it twice and will surely do so again.
Andrea
Feb 08, 2017 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Some stories were good, but overall Fulghum has written much better books.
Marsha
Oct 04, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bestseller in the early 1990s and I think I had my paperback copy sitting on my bookshelf for almost as long. Finally I read this book of short anecdotes. I enjoyed the book as the author had some interesting outlooks on things and each tale was short. There was a lot of humor and wisdom in his narratives. At first I started reading the book quickly, but then I decided to slow down and just read a couple of chapters each day to allow myself to think more about each of them and le ...more
Virginia Markhart
When a 228 page book takes over a couple of days to read, it is not fascinating. This book took me about three weeks to get though. The fault was not the author's, rather my personal circumstances at the time of the reading. The book itself was interesting. I recognized the author only after a casual mention within this book of his previous book...All I need to know I learned in kindergarten. There were some interesting chapters in the book. For the most part, I read fiction. This was a change. ...more
katastrofa
May 19, 2012 katastrofa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book got me thinking a bit. It's pretty amazing how authors writing style inspires you to stop and think about every day situations. Nevertheless I would say that this book is still in the group of a every day book. This means that it's far from a deeper philosophical books. You can read it after hard day and still be able to grasp the meaning.

Either way I enjoyed reading this book and will turn to Sartre, Solženicyn and my favorite Saint-Exupéry for hard reading (Of course there are many o
Lynette
Mar 10, 2016 Lynette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether I was just in a particularly receptive mood when I read this or whether it is really as good as it struck me, I loved this book. I picked it up because I like the credo of being skeptical when it comes to absolutes -- and stuck with it because it was a change of pace and had some pretty pithy illustrations of life's many curve balls and how people handle them. Plenty of humor and grace and acceptance of people's shortcomings. Spirituality without preachiness, wisdom without glibness. Ple ...more
Ryn
Oct 03, 2012 Ryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another Fulghum book...full of essays on life. I just loved this one!! Loved it!! You gotta read it. I can tell you that you won't be disappointed.

You can never go wrong reading Robert Fulghum. You'll learn something new, and have your boring old beliefs refreshed! (That's true, sometimes what we believe becomes so unappreciated because we don't take time to realize the value of what we hold as truth).
Ms Stef
Feb 29, 2016 Ms Stef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Robert Fulghum has a comforting way of looking at things. He is like that older friends that will tell you a story or an adventure they had just to help you through something. He is the gentlemen on the bus giving a different view on a situation. He is the positive essay, email or post you keep bookmarked for when your having a bad day.
I found he is also a good read after a heavy, dark or obnoxious book. Like a palette cleanser for the mind.
Cindy May
Jun 05, 2016 Cindy May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. His essays on confessions of family secrets, how to iron a shirt (as taught to him by their family maid), and alternative uses for everyday household items were especially clever. Even though this book was published over 20 years ago, the thoughts and advice are still timeless. Since it's a collection of essays, it's an easy book to dip in and out of as you fancy. I definitely recommend it.
Valissa
Oct 20, 2010 Valissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When my mother wasn't around, Lovey sang the blues. She didn't sing about Jesus or heaven or sweet chariots. Her singing was about getting up in the morning and dealing with the day. About love and sex and sorrow. About disappointment and not having any money and the roof leaking and jelly rolls and catching the next train for Chicago and finding some man better than the one who never came around anymore anyways.
I could relate. Oh, could I relate. I was an adolescent.
Sing them blues."
Nyss
Aug 19, 2012 Nyss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Robert Fulghum's style of writing. I always think of his stories whenever I blog because his stories are easy to read yet they are full of lessons.

The first book of his that I've read is Everything I Learned, I Learned from Kindergarten which I absolutely love. Maybe is something nice too but I was able to relate more with his stories in Everything I Learned.
Janel
Oct 18, 2009 Janel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not much for light reading. When I sit down I want something I can sink my teeth into and really feel I am more intelligent and have been challenged after I am done. These are fun, great books. I can't help but laugh out loud every time I read them, and I have read them multiple times. They were some of my dad's favorite books and have continued to be mine.
Tony
Jul 04, 2012 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this and my rating stands. This is not on par with his first two books. This one seems 'forced' and 'manufactured' as if he was expected to publish another book within a certain timeframe.
I gave it two stars because I do like Fulghum's musings about daily living and there are a few essays in this book that are worthwhile. All-in-all the book was a letdown.
Jill
Apr 12, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print-books
I wanted to put three and a half stars. Very insightful book, witty and reminds one that normal life is more quirky than one would assume, and it takes normal people to contemplate and achieve great things. Robert Fulghum adds an extra dimension of magic to the world we know. I particularly enjoyed the Christmas/Valentine's Day story and the one about men and their wallets.

Zeta T.
Jul 07, 2013 Zeta T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for short bus trips, kept me occupied and interested. Lots of great anecdotes; would be good fodder for when pen pals don't know what to discuss with each other, because what happens is you want to answer some of the questions Fulghum puts to these subjects, but the idea of writing to him directly would feel like creating excess work to his time. Good stuff! Plan to re-read!
Jennifer Heise
Oct 19, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Just didn't grab me the way his other essay collections did. Though I liked reading about his learning to iron a shirt properly, about his experience with the art model and the guy in the ape suit, and his love of field trips.
Cez Prieto
Jan 29, 2015 Cez Prieto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Fulghum continues to amaze me! His collection of essays about life will make you laugh and think. It's easy to read yet his words are direct and the application is practical. I'm glad to have stumbled upon this book at a thrift bookshop. It's more than worth the money I paid for.
Dome ^O^
Oct 04, 2007 Dome ^O^ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this's one of his works that's easy ,fun and quick read. Fulghum's got a lot of great thoughts from totally different areas of life. His really good sense of humor made me always smile when read it. Try it,you will love it like me ^^
Josue Olivares
Nov 05, 2013 Josue Olivares rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much. I would recommend it to people who love to get into thinking and get a good humor out of it. It relates to a lot of what goes on in our lives and I definately would tell people about it.
Daniel
Feb 23, 2016 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the author of "All I Ever Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten", Maybe (Maybe Not) continues the grandfatherly advice and conversation with the reader. I decent read, but I would save this for rainy day in the future.
Roni
Nov 05, 2012 Roni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am fan of reading Robert's books. This book had given me a comic view of general life and taught me not to take things too serious. Unlike other books before this one, it has a bit of a dark side. Overall, it is still a good read.
Robyn
Jan 19, 2009 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading fulghum now and then, quick and easy to read... with good insight on the way people think, or at least he connects to the way I think most of the time. There was a really funny chapter about pee that had me cracking up.
Todd
Feb 16, 2014 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books by Fulghum and while none of his stuff is bad, this just isn't his best. It seems it was just thrown together at points. Not his best, but still a book worth reading and keeping on your shelf.
Aia
Mar 17, 2015 Aia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this during my daily commute. Shed a tear while reading the chapter on Fulghum conducting the Minneapolis Chamber Symphony, can't pinpoint why. Always enjoyable to read Fulghum's musings and his ability to preach without sounding preachy.
Dave
May 20, 2010 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Includes a story about a man named Vedran Smailovic, a true hero from Sarajevo. If you read nothing else from this book, try that chapter!
  • At Wit's End
  • Noční klub II
  • Couplehood
  • Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night (MM to TR Promotion)
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • God Save the Sweet Potato Queens
  • Love and Marriage
  • Alexander and the Wonderful, Marvelous, Excellent, Terrific Ninety Days: An Almost Completely Honest Account of What Happened to Our Family When Our Youngest Son, His Wife, Their Baby, Their Toddler, and Their Five-Year-Old Came to Live with Us for Thr...
  • Summer of Caprice
  • When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!: Inspiration and Wisdom from One of Baseball's Greatest Heroes
  • Loving Each Other
  • More of the Straight Dope
  • Saturnin
  • How To Be A Little Sod
19630
Robert Fulghum is an American author, primarily of short essays.

More about Robert Fulghum...

“Above all, if what you've done is stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.” 108 likes
“If you tell people you talk to God, they'll think you're religious, but if you say God talks to you, it's ten to one they'll think you're crazy.” 88 likes