Start by marking “Gailene's Vow (Original Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gailene's Vow (Original Blood, #1)

Gailene's Vow (Original Blood #1)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
DESTINY IS IN THE BLOOD

GAILENE’S VOW is the delicious, but tormenting tale of two women as they become vampires. Gailene must rise from devastation, rage, and vengeance in 1790s rural England, leaving her human family to become a powerful vampire matriarch in fledgling America. Two centuries later, college coed, Zondra, discovers she’s the leader of her grandmother’s empir
Published January 31st 2011 by Stuart Land (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gailene's Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gailene's Vow

Witch Song by Amber ArgyleClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie Stiefvater
2011 - Books to read
272nd out of 495 books — 608 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandDelirium by Lauren OliverBloodlines by Richelle MeadWither by Lauren DeStefano
First In Series (2011)
259th out of 418 books — 998 voters

More lists with this book...

Douglas Meeks
Nov 04, 2011 Douglas Meeks rated it it was amazing
Stuart Land has created a world that while vaguely following the traditional vampire type has used it to create a panorama of a story that actually recounts the building of an financial empire over decades while at the same time the love story and "vampire coming of age" story. Anything my inadequate vocabulary can say about this excellent novel would be not be up to the task. Bottom Line: Slow paced, ultimately satisfying and epic in nature, think Gone With The Wind with vampires and covering s ...more
Grammy 1
Jun 29, 2011 Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
In the spring of this year, the Paranormal Romance Guild received a submission request from Stuart Land for two of his books, Original Blood and Shadow House (previously reviewed here by Penelope Adams) Thankfully I received one of his pieces for review. All I can say is, “Stuart Land, where have you been all my life?”

Synopsis of Original Blood by Stuart Land

Original Blood follows the transformation of two women born two hundred years apart as they become vampires, one to build a powerful vamp
Tamera McIntosh
Dec 20, 2013 Tamera McIntosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I wanted to read this book from the start. Yet once I started I could not put it down. Wonderful story about finding love and family.
About 2 women who share memories from two different era's, the past and the present, coming together. Seeing each others lives and learning from it. Zondra had always known she was adopted on her 18th birthday she receives a necklace that belonged to her mother and grandmother. Questions are then raised about her family and her birthmark. Yet with no one to
Alesha Escobar
Feb 28, 2014 Alesha Escobar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I love how this story pulls you in at the beginning and seamlessly takes you from 18th Century England to present day Washington, D.C. Zondra may think she's a normal college co-ed, but her world is turned upside down after an attack by--a vampire (and a very creepy one, by the way).

She's soon thrust into a world of passion, intrigue, danger, and discovery as she uncovers her past and her blood tie to her great grandmother, Gailene.

This was a very enjoyable read, and Mr. Land has just released t
Matt Posner
Jul 26, 2011 Matt Posner rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of vampire books out there, but this one really had an impact on me. After Twilight I couldn't read any more of Stephenie Meyer, but I will stick with Stuart Land!
Ron
Nov 21, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Original Blood has been a extremely difficult book to evaluate for me. Overall, I did enjoy it, and the quality of the writing is more than average, but there were a couple of things I did not care much for. Let’s take it step by step:

The storyline here follows two women from the same family: the one was turned into a vampire in the England contemporaneous to the French Revolution, and the other lives in current day States. Little by little, the lives of these two women begin mixing up, and both
Christina  Torretta
Mar 20, 2014 Christina Torretta rated it it was amazing
I did really enjoy this take on vampires, although, I do prefer the eat your heart out type, I love how different artists can come up with these ideas that just make the reader all the more curious. We do see in the beginning of the story when Fenton mistakenly drinks too much of Gailene's blood that these vampires can be like the vampires of our nightmares, which just made me all the more curious!

Full Review coming soon on BTSe Mag!

Danni
Mar 15, 2014 Danni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always impressed when an author does something different and I really like how Stuart Land has approached Vampire Lore. He really does grab your attention from the beginning in a story that is hauntingly dark. Well written and compelling, Original Blood leaves the majority of books in this genre in the shade!
Simon
Mar 14, 2014 Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original Blood is spellbinding fantasy with an original plotline that impressed me form the early pages. Author Stuart Land has some powerful imagination and he puts a lot of detail in which makes everything easy to visualize. There are a lot of books out there about vampires but few as memorable as this one.
Reading Write
Dec 26, 2013 Reading Write rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Iva for Kota's Book Kollection

"Stuart Land's vampires borrow from both traditional stories and more modern vampire books in a way that is acceptable and pleasing. You still get the fangs and blood, but there is the modern twist of them living in families in the city and driving cars.

The story is infused with romance but it is subtle and doesn't steal the story's telling. The characters are well developed, especially the blending of the two personalities of the main characters as the
Diane
Mar 15, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Inventive, original,very well written, it was great to read something that didn't seem to come of the YA Vampire production line! On to the next one......

Kate Wrath
Sep 14, 2014 Kate Wrath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-indies
Review coming soon....
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Shaynah Kowitz
Shaynah Kowitz rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Michael Phelps
Michael Phelps rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Juli La porte
Juli La porte rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Nadine Stoelman
Nadine Stoelman marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Laura Thomas
Laura Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Trisha
Trisha added it
Apr 02, 2014
Malliana
Malliana rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2014
Jenny needham
Jenny needham marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Brianna Hughes
Brianna Hughes marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
119401
Stuart’s story ideas come from his vivid imagination, but his inspiration draws from extensive world travel and fascinating careers: from US military medic to hairstylist, then Washington D.C. Police officer to NYC photographer.

Later, he converted a chicken coop in the woods into a live-in studio and taught himself metal sculpture. That rudimentary craft expanded into the fine arts. Sculptures in
More about Stuart Land...

Original Blood (2 books)
  • Szejna's Revenge (Original Blood #2)