Done Gone Wrong

Done Gone Wrong (Southern Fried Mysteries Featuring Avery Andrews #2)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The delightful Avery Andrews of Malice Domestic winner Southern Fried comes out of hiding to face a big-city trial--and finds unpleasant surprises…

TAKE FOUR PILLS A DAY--
A chance to be a part of a headline-grabbing case against a drug company has lured attorney Avery Andrews back to Charleston, South Carolina. She agrees to meet with Mark Tilman, a young doctor from her ho...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
94th out of 593 books — 296 voters
My Country Right or Left by George OrwellThe Kids Are All Right by Diana WelchLies My Teacher Told Me by James W. LoewenThe Right and the Real by Joelle AnthonyAll the Wrong Places by Karin Kallmaker
Right and Wrong
9th out of 16 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Genie
Attorney Avery Andrews moves back to Charleston, South Carolina to be on the defense team for the family of a man who died while under the influence of a anti depressent drug. She has been contacted and agrees to meet with Mark Tilman, a young doctor who has questions about the studies this drug company is conducting. Unfortunately Mark is killed in an automobile accident before their meeting. She suspects he was on to something and his "accident" was staged to hush up his findings. Something ab...more
P.J. Coldren
Avery Andrews had a case blow up in her face, and she's been hiding out for a little while. Jake Baker has lured her back into a courtroom, on the side of the plaintiff, in a suit against a drug company who manufactured and marketed an antidepressant drug.
Seems a forklift driver with a bad history took his semiautomatic arsenal to work one day and killed a bunch of people, including himself. And the deepest pockets belong to the makers of Uplift, the drug that apparently didn't help one man.

Jak...more
Suzanna
The best part of this book was the writer's style, and that she had obviously done her homework on FDA drug approval procedures. (I would hope so, since she teaches law and ethics at a university.) Otherwise, I was very disappointed.

The main character of the novel is Avery Andrews, who also starred in the other two books I read by Pickens, Hog Wild and Hush my Mouth. In those I liked her, but I had a lot of trouble with her in this one. She was painfully obtuse and unable to put two and two toge...more
Marti
The copy of the book that I read looked pristine--as if the previous owner who donated it to the book sale hadn't even read it. This is not a series that I would seek out. The lawyers, including attorney Avery (she is a woman) Andrews don't seem terribly sharp. The doctors in this story tend to be sleazy, and there is just an overall sense of good old boy syndrome--you might be a redneck if... It is probably never a good idea to sue a drug company--They have too much money so they can hire all k...more
Diane ~Firefly~
It had been a really long time since I read the first book, but that didn't seem to matter here, I got enough back story to know what was happening. Interesting legal mystery. Avery is a contradiction. She does some crazy things for a lawyer and seems a bit unaffected by her "accident". It was a bit weird with her in Charleston and the rest of her family having a side story in her small hometown. But the case against the pharmaceutical company was interesting (view spoiler)...more
Lois
Patty
There is nothing wrong with this book. It was light and just what I needed after finishing two really heavy books. If you are into Southern mysteries with an easy plot, this is for you.

I won't rush out to read another Pickens book mostly because this is not my genre of choice for when I am looking for a light book. I am a romance reader, who was stuck for a book in a house with no romances.

Don't hold my prejudices against Cathy Pickens. She tells a good tale.
Ginger
This is the 2nd book Cathy Pickens has written. Did not know this when I bought the book but have since bought her first book. Characters are good...writing is entertaining, closing was good but not what you would expect and it basically is telling you there will be a 3rd book. She is a law professor from Charlotte. Definitely will be looking forward to the next book.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone else!
Shelves: mysteries
I just couldn't get into this book. I think it was because the main character is a hotshot lawyer who is planning a big lawsuit, and I don't really relate to that at all. It's about a lawsuit against a drug company who make an antidepressant. Anyway, I got about 6 chapters in and decided I was wasting my time.

CMB
Silvio111
Unfortunate title.
The main character has grown on me a bit. Less clumsy phonetic spelling of dialog than the first book in the series. The plot was better with this one, and I actually cared about most of the characters. This is not-quite-hard-boiled beige rather than Noir, but it's good light reading.
DonnaCarol
The lead character in this series is a lawyer, so predictably there is quite a bit of legal detail. But, for me, it was just a little bit too much. Great detail into procedures etc. that bogged the story down a little for me. But other than that, I liked it well enough to read another in this series.
Jodi Rohovit
This book was good enough to continue after the 100 page mark ( 100 pages is my limit on a book before I can stop reading it in hopes it will get better), however it is not good enough to pass along to my sisters so it will be going to the D.I.
Christina
Julie
Another installment done. The mystery in this book was better this time. Overall I liked this one better than the first, but it was still just okay. Took forever to finish it.....
Book Concierge
This is the second Avery Andrews mystery. Good, fast, entertaining read. I think she's trying to put too much into the book, though. I girued out the bad guy early on.
I like this series okay. They are good filler books when I want something lite. This one did get a little tedious toward the end, but overall I like the characters.
Melissa Thrasher
I'm a clinical research coordinator so this book was right up my alley! I really enjoyed this read and will be reading the rest in the series!
Mary
Just didn't hold my interest. I really think this author's background does not support her desire to write madcap mysteries.
Mary Lea
I discovered this author while browsing at the book store. The stories take place in the south and I really enjoy reading them.
Shelly
A book on my actual book shelf--completely unmemorable. I'll read it (or read again) and see if it's worth keeping.
Erica
Don't judge a book by its cover--this definitely was not a cooking mystery (a cursing legal thriller instead)!
Daelith
Struggled to finish this book. Just didn't hold my attention. Too much medical and legal detail.
Kbertram
A mystery that was easy to put down, but it was still an enjoyable read.
Sheri
Very cute. Kind of like Margaret Maron. Southern lawyer sleuth.
Elisa
It was OK, but not terribly memorable.
Joanie
Mar 10, 2013 Joanie added it
Do not like this author.
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Alexis Vega
Alexis Vega marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • The Body in the Sleigh (Faith Fairchild, #18)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)
  • Murder of a Wedding Belle (A Scumble River Mystery, #12)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery #3)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • The Silver Needle Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #9)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Flamingo Fatale
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery #9)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
Cathy Pickens has been, under different names, a lawyer, a business professor, a university provost, a clog-dancing coach, a church organist / choir director, and a typist.

The most profound influences on her life have been her family, her faith, Nancy Drew, and Perry Mason. She grew up in a small town and, forced to move to "big cities" to support herself, first as a lawyer and then as a professor...more
More about Cathy Pickens...
Southern Fried Hog Wild Hush My Mouth Can't Never Tell Charleston Mysteries: Ghostly Haunts in the Holy City