Start by marking “True Blue (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #3)” as Want to Read:
True Blue (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #3)

True Blue (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch #3)

True Blue is a beauty, a dappled gray, and when Abby gets to take him to her family's ranch, she can hardly believe her luck. The horse needs a home: his owner—a woman brand new to the riding stable--was tragically killed in a car crash and no one has claimed him. Daddy is wary, as always. But Abby is smitten. True Blue is a sweetheart, and whenever Abby calls out, "Blue, ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Kelsi_Betsy
WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS AND A LOT OF HATE FOR THIS BOOK. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T STAND HATE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOOK, OR HATE SPOILERS, DO NOT READ THIS. THIS IS MY REVIEW, MY OPINION, AND I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SHOW MY OPINION ON THIS BOOK. IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT WASTING YOUR TIME WRITING A HATE COMMENT ON MY REVIEW, DON'T. I WILL DELETE THE COMMENT, BLOCK YOU, AND SEND YOU A NASTY MESSAGE IN REPLY. SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

Years ago, I pi
Shannon
Sep 02, 2016 Shannon rated it it was ok
I thought the book was not as good as the first and second books that she written. this had less about the horses that she was working with or about blue. I thought she could of went in more detail of the horse Blue. I thought overall the book was ok.
Eva
Aug 23, 2012 Eva rated it it was ok
This book was kind of boring.... and whats interesting is, Im saying that as a horse lover... meaning I ride and own a horse. And I have to say reading this book was a few wasted hours of my time that I could have spent at the barn.

The he plot was hard to follow in my opinion. I got lost a lot. Also all the time the family met up for their religious meetings or whatever, I had to skip through those parts because they were too long and boring. Like I care about these people's religious meetings?
Cball
Oct 24, 2011 Cball rated it did not like it
Thought I would give Jane Smiley a try at the tween level since I enjoyed her adult books. Nope. This is a Horse story with a capital 'H' with most of the story around the various equipment, technique and types of horse, uh, stuff there is out there. I would have been able to keep with it if it was more character driven. And then the heavy handed religious overtones did me in. The Dad is a conservative evangelistic Christian (won't let his children go to the movie theater type). And that was ...more
Regan
Dec 26, 2012 Regan rated it did not like it
I thought it was awful. I couldnt even read it all I hated it so much! I was really disappointed to becuz i thought it was going to be really good so i bought it at barnes and noble in hardback, so it was really expensive and i couldn't even finish reading it.
Hannah S
Mar 20, 2012 Hannah S rated it did not like it
This was one of the strangest books I've ever read. The main character apparently is a 15 or 16 year old girl when in my opinion she acts like she's five. The plot was hard to follow and really confusing....
Annie
Mar 12, 2014 Annie rated it did not like it
This book was one of the worst books I have ever read. To this day I still do not know how I was able to finish it. Very lacking in plot and purpose, an extremely boring read. Please, spare yourself, do NOT read this book. For the love of God, you will die slowly on the inside with every word.
Gabrielle Mohos
Aug 04, 2013 Gabrielle Mohos rated it it was amazing
It was really good.
Cierra Telleen
Oct 16, 2016 Cierra Telleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The girl Abby was way to paranoid. She saw the ghost everywhere and it got tiring as the book went on.
Aspen
May 31, 2016 Aspen rated it did not like it
WARNING: THIS IS REVIEW WAS WRITTEN WITH HATE. IF YOU CAN'T STAND READING HATE REVIEWS ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE BOOK OR WHATEVER THEN DON'T READ IT. AND DON'T POST ANYTHING MEAN ABOUT MY REVIEW BECAUSE IT IS MY REVIEW AND MY OPINION. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN JUST STOP READING AND MOVE ON.

A beautiful dapple gray whose owner has just died in a car accident is left at the stables. When Abby Lovitt sees him she can't believe how beautiful he is. She can't help but ask if she can have him. Her dad says y
Beth Bonini
Jun 19, 2012 Beth Bonini rated it liked it
First of all, and as a note to UK readers -- this book has been published as "Mystery Horse" in England. Occasionally, it does make sense (because of language differences) to publish under different titles, but in this case it is rather a mystery -- and nothing to do with horses. And I would further add that I prefer "True Blue" as a title.

This book is the third in a series about a young teenage girl called Abby. She lives on a horse ranch in California during the 1960s, but except for the food
Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Abby Lovitt’s family lives on a California ranch in the 1960s. When a friend who runs a stable ends up with the horse belonging to a woman killed in a car accident, she offers the horse and its fittings to Abby, who gladly takes them. True Blue is a good horse, and well-trained, though apt to spook. The horse is a good addition to the family’s stables, and Abby gives lessons and goes to school, but is plagued by the ghost of the dead owner. Abby imagines seeing this ghost all over the farm. Abby ...more
Anne Broyles
Nov 03, 2012 Anne Broyles rated it liked it
I never was a horse crazy kid, but even as a horse-neutral adult, I loved learning about the horsey world in Jane Smiley’s book, TRUE BLUE. She not only gives her protagonist, young Abby, problems to solve as she lives and works on her parents’ horse farm, but Smiley brings to life the horses and their personalities. One example:

{The horses}…”were like kids in a classroom. Jack and Foxy and Happy were the ones in the front row who always raised their hands. Jefferson and Lincoln didn’t even real
Kylie
Mar 28, 2013 Kylie rated it liked it
I thought this was a very good book. It's a good book for horse-lovers like me. Even though i am a horse lover i was not very intriging at first, i liked the way the author showed imagery with the way blue looked and acted..she was mysterious and i was confused on the way she acted at first but i came to realize that it was a really good book.

If you are interested in mysteries and love horses i would recommend this to you. This book shows that you have to take risks and try something new, not o
Michelle
Mar 19, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Blue by Jane Smiley is a great book. It brought out the adventure in me. It made me wonder and want to keep reading.
This book is about a horse whose owner died and it needs a new home. The horse it put into to stables until abby Lovitt comes and take her home. While Abby is training her and letting her get used to her new home, abby notices that The horse will randomly get spooked.
One day, when abby is putting the tack on the horse, she hears whispering. She starts to wonder what her horse
Ashley14
Aug 07, 2015 Ashley14 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl named Abby who gets this new horse named True Blue. True Blue's owner died ina tragic car accident so it's up to Abby to take care of this new horse. Everything is going good until strange things start happening. True Blue starts spooking easily and looks off in the distance as if he is looking for someone. Then Abby starts seeing a ghost like figure. Is True Blue's owner's ghost coming for Abby?
Lucy Takeda
Sep 30, 2015 Lucy Takeda rated it it was ok
I picked this up because my niece recommended Jane Smiley. Yeah, it's young adult---but it was more pre-teen. Lots of stuff about training a horse; not terribly interested. Pre-teen angst; sort of interesting. Ghost; kind of cool. Family religious conflict---not my thing. ( Well, our religion is the ONLY proper one, and whipping your kids every day is necessary is totally opposed to what I believe.)
Linda
Mar 02, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
This was a nice story, but not quite what I expected. It had alot of details on caring and training horses. I had hoped the ghost of the True Blue's owner would be a bigger part of the story. The ending was a disappointment, it seemed to be a rush job to end the story. Not very satisfying and you never really learn much about the ghost or what happens with the horse.
Donna Jo Atwood
Mar 02, 2012 Donna Jo Atwood rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna Jo by: Lorie Hyten
I think you have be relatively crazy about horses to read this book and love every second of it.
My friend Lorie, who is horse-crazed, said it was very realistic as far as the horses go.
The ghost story that made up the main plot was a little too hokey to be appealing to me, but the tensions between family members seemed very real.

Martha
Apr 02, 2015 Martha rated it liked it
Interesting family here. I suppose if I had read previous stories about this family it would have been better. I like the main character's reactions to life. Hardly ever read about a strict, loving family these days. Just not sure of the "purpose" or goal of this book. It covered many aspects all at once, with a couple different "morals."
Abby
Jan 01, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it
This a HORSE book. However, the plot leaves a few things unanswered. For instance, you never find out if Jack is Alabama Lady's colt. For another thing, you never find out who the slim lady riding Blue is. If you have read The George's and the Jewel's and A Good Horse than you will enjoy the third installment in the series.
M—
Jul 12, 2013 M— rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I was not a fan of the ghost story aspect — it hardly seemed necessary and it stretched my belief that pragmatic and sensible Abby would be inclined toward such worries. (Particularly when she has so many real things to worry her!) But I particularly enjoyed reading of Abby's ventures towards teaching riding.
Lauren
Mar 23, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Although I don't like the parts in French. I'm also not very knowledgeable about horses so some things didn't honestly make sense. But I wouldn't want to see these taken out because it adds texture, you know? I love Janes books. Thank u for being a great author
Marcella Curry
Feb 25, 2012 Marcella Curry rated it it was ok
an intriguing plot that completes fizzles out; interesting setting/characters but found the amount of detail on the care/riding of horses became tedious; tyrannical father figure that we're supposed to believe is really ok.
Kevin Freeman
Oct 24, 2013 Kevin Freeman rated it really liked it
Shelves: xox
It was a good book overall in my opinion but it is def for the horse cray cray people. But it was good but seriously this girl is what like 14 2 16 yrs old and believing in ghosts she acts like a freckin 5 year old
Lynn
Oct 24, 2012 Lynn rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best series for 5th through 8th grade girls, particularly the horse crazy ones. The main character has a distinctly real feel to her that is a welcome and refreshing find in children's literature.
Yapha
Feb 09, 2012 Yapha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series of middle grade horse books. Abby faces some new and different challenges in this one, including a close encounter with what may or may not be a ghost. Recommended to horse lovers in grades 4 and up.
A.
May 11, 2012 A. rated it liked it
I picked this book up at random off the shelf. It was a nice story, but I never felt that it had any real crescendo, or climax, one that I kept asking, "What is this story about? About halfway through I realized it was going to be a bit of a ghost story, but even that never got terribly exciting.
Kathryn
Feb 22, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was ok
The ending felt very rushed, without the blurb I'm not sure we would of known what the plot of the book was and it didn't explain who/what the ghost was! Rant over was an OK book. (2 stars by good reads definition is an OK book)
Gracie
Dec 14, 2015 Gracie rated it really liked it
It was a good book and I really liked blue but it was kinda confusing when the ghost came in. I couldn't really follow it.
  • Fly-by-Night
  • Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders, #1)
  • Mystery At Saddle Creek (Saddle Creek, #2)
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • The Winter Pony
  • Off Course (The A Circuit, #3)
  • The Horses in My Life
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • My Guy Barbaro: A Jockey's Journey Through Love, Triumph, and Heartbreak with America's Favorite Horse
  • Horseplay
  • The Head and Not The Heart (Alex and Alexander #1)
  • Darcy (Horse Diaries, #10)
  • Unhappy Appy (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #5)
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • All or Nothing (Chestnut Hill, #6)
  • Desert Dancer (Phantom Stallion, #7)
Jane Smiley is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist.

Born in Los Angeles, California, Smiley grew up in Webster Groves, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis, and graduated from John Burroughs School. She obtained a A.B. at Vassar College, then earned a M.F.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. While working towards her doctorate, she also spent a year studying in Iceland as a Fulbright Scholar
More about Jane Smiley...

Horses of Oak Valley Ranch (5 books)
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • A Good Horse (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #2)
  • Pie in the Sky (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #4)
  • Gee Whiz (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #5)