Start by marking “Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2

Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2 (The Black Ring #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Lex Luthor finally regained control of LexCorp, he thought he had everything he wanted. But in BLACKEST NIGHT, he briefly became an Orange Lantern and got a taste of true power. Now he'll do anything - anything - to get that power back. Buckle in for a greatest hits tour of the DCU's most wanted as Lex Luthor begins an epic quest for power, all brought to you by write ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Sam Quixote
This is the second and final part of Lex Luthor’s mini-series, The Black Ring, where he hunts down the energy sources that power the Black Lantern’s Black Rings (see Blackest Night - yup, Geoff Johns sure is imaginative in his naming of things). And he finds them of course, and finally Superman shows up too (he’s been absent for this entire run). But is the mini-series worth reading? Meh. It’s got its moments but its really overlong and kinda pointless, telling us what we already know about Lex ...more
Amanda Lynn
This is mind-blowing. It's operatic, even. I'm writing my MA thesis on Lex Luthor as an American icon and catching the end of this tale in AC #900 was the inspiration for the topic change--while I was trying to write about Superman and immigration (I needed Goyer's "The Incident" from AC #900) and I realized that Lex as a character is by *far* the more compelling and complex of the two. This really is a classical Greek tragedy in graphic novel form.

:::spoiler space:::

As a gender/queer studies sc
John Carter McKnight
I read Volume 1 back in April and immediately pre-ordered Volume 2, which turned out to be even better. TBR is one of the best comics stories I've read: it's layered, complex, emotionally powerful, beautifully drawn, and adds richness to characters who've been around forever.

Basically Lex Luthor's "Anti-Hero's Journey," Volume 2 gives us flashbacks to Luthor's earliest days in crime, technology and the long con, builds in two marvelous supporting roles: Robot Lois Lane as the Virgil to his Dante
I think I'm being unfair to the creative team that worked on this book. I'm not a DC fan. Never was, though I enjoy the occasional Batman and Superman story. I guess this is the first time Lex Luthor is a hero, in a strange inverted act of megalomanical lack of altruism, if that makes any sense. He wants more power. The man, a genius, finds earthly pleasure, material possessions worthless, and instead cultivates a lust for power.

Specifically, a power capable of defeating Superman. So these blac
Minus the Secret Six stuff in the beginning, it had a solid finish.
Emmett Spain
Concluding this Lex Luthor-centric story, hijinks are the order of the day here. Writer Paul Cornell brings a lightness of touch to what could have been a very dark story, and manages to play Luthor as villainous without necessarily drenching him in shadow. It's an interesting approach, and probably what landed Cornell the job.

What makes this volume work is the focus on Luthor's uncompromising nature, and his ability to think ten steps ahead. On every page he is outsmarting his opponents, outwit
Paul Cornell is best known to some as a writer of Dr. Who novels and screenplays. He has spent part of the last couple of years writing for American comic book companies. Despite a so-so ending, the conclusion of the roughly year long Lex Luthor saga does something most writers in any genre fail to do-give us an interesting anti-hero.

The reasons for the three stars in the ending which felt a little too pat for my tastes. Before then Cornell paints the picture of a ruthless and brilliant man. Lut
Despite the book's flaws-a needed epilogue never comes, the whole reaction of Luthor having a Lois companion/mental sparring partner robot is never fulfilled-this book, written by Paul Cornell, a screen writer for Doctor Who, ends up becoming something grandly Who-vian. There's definitely some influence of the Doctor's infinite ambition in Cornell's depiction of Luthor, which oddly fits. The vision is there, just warped to be a savior/conqueror, instead of an observer and helper. He's a human wh ...more
James Bowman
(This review applies to both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.)

A fun follow-up to Blackest Night (even though it ultimately has little to do with it), featuring Lex Luthor. The author pits Lex against many of the other big bads of the DCU, and makes him an interesting protagonist, yet he remains utterly villainous and despicable throughout. The story does lose some momentum in the second half, and I'm not sure Lex needed Darkseid or Ra's al Ghul in his backstory, but it's still a very satisfying read. (A-)
Dec 26, 2012 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dcu
It falls apart in the end and it probably could have used one more issue for denouement, which leads me to realize that it wasn't the story that hooked me on this particular story arc. It was the writing.

The Secret Six, one of the greatest DC troupes ever, thank you Gail Simone, is fully splendiferous in this volume. The witty banter, the off-colour humour, the bizarreness all makes you forget that there is a pretty week inter dimensional storyline being formed.

Similarly, all the ret-con with Lu
While I've liked a lot of Paul Cornell's work, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this story.

What diminished my enjoyment was the annoyance on how much this all relies on retconned metafictional buildups. While it's a good Lex Luthor story all in all, it actually mutes its own effectiveness by showing how much the "self-made billionaire" seems tied to the other big movers and shakers among the DC universe's rogues' gallery.

Yes, it's interesting to see ties with R'as al Ghul, Vandal Savage,
***Dave Hill
Luthor's quest for the secrets of the Black Rings continues, bringing him in conflict with Vandal Savage, R'as al Ghul, Darkseid, the Orange Lantern, Brainiac, Superman ... and, ultimately, himself.

Good stuff, which falls apart slightly by the end due to Over Epic Conclusion Syndrome. Luthor makes a great protagonist, as long as the writer doesn't try to be more clever than he is. Also, the revamping of Luthor's past to involve him with some of the villains involved feels contrived and unnecessa
Joe Kuhlmann
Not as good as the first volume, but still a refreshing and exciting must-read.
Dony Grayman
Edición española. Tomo 2 de 2, publicado por Planeta.
Public library copy.

This was a weird mix of stories that mainly features Lex Luthor in his quest for power. The book starts out with Gail Simone's Secret Six (the title I think she writes best) and then the rest of the work features Paul Conrell's work from Superman Action Comics and a Superman annual. I found the story to be more interesting toward the end, maybe editorial was more hands off, I don't know. As is usual with much of DC Comics' work this work would be better appreciated by hardcor
Shannon Appelcline
A good conclusion of the Black Ring story line. The annual -- especially with the Young Lex and Darkseid story, is great -- while the rest of the storyline is nice because of its focus on Lex and his quest, and the conclusion is good and appropriate for the character.

I found the sudden introduction of Doomsday in the final issue a bit off-putting, and would have been confused if I didn't know that was a plotline coming in from other Superman comics.
Cool conclusion with a fun ending, which I won't spoil. Cornell did a great story-arc here. The last issue also heralded the return of Supes to Action Comics, too bad it is only for the next terrible story-arc "Reign of Doomsday." Luthor's story here and his search for the secret of the Black Ring was definitely enjoyable.
I don't really feel this tied things up well for me. The whole series seemed disjointed, as if things were done just because it would be cool to do it. On the other side, there definitely are many cool things going on, so I did like it. Obviously, if you read the first volume, you're going to read this one.
Really did not like how this story resolved itself with all kinds of deus ex machinas. LITERALLY. It also seemed like it jumped forward to its conclusion rather quickly, like the pacing was rushed to wrap things up very quickly to coincide with the anniversary issue 900.
Joe Young
Paul Cornell - writer
Pete Woods - artist

A fun little story focusing on Lex Luthor's quest to find some mystical black spheres which, when he's found them all, will grant him power far beyond even his nemesis Superman.
This was even better than the first volume. Lex Luthor will never stop being power hungry and will let nothing get in his way to obtain it. This was really great.
Jim Ratkowski
Good read, liked it as much as volume 1 if not more so. To see Lex Luthor interact one on one with the likes of Vandal Savage, Darkseid, Ra's al Gul, and The Joker...
Ron DeVinitz
Fun and diverting read. Moments of real wit, but a dull ending. I'm pretty sure Kurt Busiek and Pete Woods already did this ending a few years back.
I didnt read vol1 so i was kind of confused but I enjoyed this
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dc
A little puzzly of a plot, but, mostly enjoyable, plus, I need to catch up on who the heck Scandal Savage is.
John Yelverton
This was such a great book, and it really brought some of the characters into their own.
Closer to 4.5 stars. Vol. 1 was so-so, but this book was significantly more entertaining.
I'm not impressed with this ending. it could've been better
Not bad, but not great just ok.
  • The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 5: Emerald Eclipse
  • Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 3
  • Green Arrow: Into the Woods
  • Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow/Black Canary, Volume 1: The Wedding Album
  • Batman: Time and the Batman
  • Superman/Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: War and Peace
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell...

The Black Ring (2 books)
  • Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 1
London Falling (Shadow Police, #1) Batman and Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight Demon Knights, Vol. 1: Seven Against the Dark Dark Reign: Young Avengers The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)