Start by marking “Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2

Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 2 (The Black Ring #2)

When Lex Luthor finally regained control of LexCorp, he thought he had everything he wanted. But in BLACKEST NIGHT, he briefly became an Orange Lantern and got a taste of true power. Now he'll do anything - anything - to get that power back. Buckle in for a greatest hits tour of the DCU's most wanted as Lex Luthor begins an epic quest for power, all brought to you by write ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Jesse A
Mar 17, 2017 Jesse A rated it did not like it
Well that whole mini series was a gigantic waste of my time.
Relstuart
Oct 12, 2015 Relstuart rated it liked it
Shelves: dc
Solid finish.

While good I don't think it was so good we will be seeing this story in DLX or Absolute printings in the future.

Sam Quixote
Jun 29, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
This is the second and final part of Lex Luthor’s mini-series, The Black Ring, where he hunts down the energy sources that power the Black Lantern’s Black Rings (see Blackest Night - yup, Geoff Johns sure is imaginative in his naming of things). And he finds them of course, and finally Superman shows up too (he’s been absent for this entire run). But is the mini-series worth reading? Meh. It’s got its moments but its really overlong and kinda pointless, telling us what we already know about Lex ...more
Amanda Lynn
Apr 03, 2013 Amanda Lynn rated it it was amazing
This is mind-blowing. It's operatic, even. I'm writing my MA thesis on Lex Luthor as an American icon and catching the end of this tale in AC #900 was the inspiration for the topic change--while I was trying to write about Superman and immigration (I needed Goyer's "The Incident" from AC #900) and I realized that Lex as a character is by *far* the more compelling and complex of the two. This really is a classical Greek tragedy in graphic novel form.

:::spoiler space:::

As a gender/queer studies sc
John Carter McKnight
Sep 26, 2011 John Carter McKnight rated it it was amazing
I read Volume 1 back in April and immediately pre-ordered Volume 2, which turned out to be even better. TBR is one of the best comics stories I've read: it's layered, complex, emotionally powerful, beautifully drawn, and adds richness to characters who've been around forever.

Basically Lex Luthor's "Anti-Hero's Journey," Volume 2 gives us flashbacks to Luthor's earliest days in crime, technology and the long con, builds in two marvelous supporting roles: Robot Lois Lane as the Virgil to his Dante
zxvasdf
Nov 11, 2011 zxvasdf rated it it was ok
I think I'm being unfair to the creative team that worked on this book. I'm not a DC fan. Never was, though I enjoy the occasional Batman and Superman story. I guess this is the first time Lex Luthor is a hero, in a strange inverted act of megalomanical lack of altruism, if that makes any sense. He wants more power. The man, a genius, finds earthly pleasure, material possessions worthless, and instead cultivates a lust for power.

Specifically, a power capable of defeating Superman. So these blac
Amanda
Mar 13, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Minus the Secret Six stuff in the beginning, it had a solid finish.
Jesse
Mar 23, 2017 Jesse rated it really liked it
Mouse
Nov 13, 2015 Mouse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the Hell is going on in this book? Okay, so I didn't read the first book but seriously...c'mon! This story is all over the place and it feel like an Elseworlds tale most of the time! First off, isn't Action Comics a Superman thing? Well, someone must've forgotten to tell ol' Supes to make an appearance cause this book is solely a Lex Luthor thing and though I do think he's a great villain, I don't really want to read a whole book about him and his a**hole ways!
The tertiary characters in thi
Christopher
Oct 15, 2012 Christopher rated it really liked it
Despite the book's flaws-a needed epilogue never comes, the whole reaction of Luthor having a Lois companion/mental sparring partner robot is never fulfilled-this book, written by Paul Cornell, a screen writer for Doctor Who, ends up becoming something grandly Who-vian. There's definitely some influence of the Doctor's infinite ambition in Cornell's depiction of Luthor, which oddly fits. The vision is there, just warped to be a savior/conqueror, instead of an observer and helper. He's a human wh ...more
Emmett Spain
Nov 23, 2011 Emmett Spain rated it liked it
Concluding this Lex Luthor-centric story, hijinks are the order of the day here. Writer Paul Cornell brings a lightness of touch to what could have been a very dark story, and manages to play Luthor as villainous without necessarily drenching him in shadow. It's an interesting approach, and probably what landed Cornell the job.

What makes this volume work is the focus on Luthor's uncompromising nature, and his ability to think ten steps ahead. On every page he is outsmarting his opponents, outwit
Alan
Nov 12, 2012 Alan rated it liked it
Paul Cornell is best known to some as a writer of Dr. Who novels and screenplays. He has spent part of the last couple of years writing for American comic book companies. Despite a so-so ending, the conclusion of the roughly year long Lex Luthor saga does something most writers in any genre fail to do-give us an interesting anti-hero.

The reasons for the three stars in the ending which felt a little too pat for my tastes. Before then Cornell paints the picture of a ruthless and brilliant man. Lut
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: dcu
It falls apart in the end and it probably could have used one more issue for denouement, which leads me to realize that it wasn't the story that hooked me on this particular story arc. It was the writing.

The Secret Six, one of the greatest DC troupes ever, thank you Gail Simone, is fully splendiferous in this volume. The witty banter, the off-colour humour, the bizarreness all makes you forget that there is a pretty week inter dimensional storyline being formed.

Similarly, all the ret-con with Lu
Steven
Aug 20, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
While I've liked a lot of Paul Cornell's work, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this story.

What diminished my enjoyment was the annoyance on how much this all relies on retconned metafictional buildups. While it's a good Lex Luthor story all in all, it actually mutes its own effectiveness by showing how much the "self-made billionaire" seems tied to the other big movers and shakers among the DC universe's rogues' gallery.

Yes, it's interesting to see ties with R'as al Ghul, Vandal Savage,
***Dave Hill
Feb 26, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Luthor's quest for the secrets of the Black Rings continues, bringing him in conflict with Vandal Savage, R'as al Ghul, Darkseid, the Orange Lantern, Brainiac, Superman ... and, ultimately, himself.

Good stuff, which falls apart slightly by the end due to Over Epic Conclusion Syndrome. Luthor makes a great protagonist, as long as the writer doesn't try to be more clever than he is. Also, the revamping of Luthor's past to involve him with some of the villains involved feels contrived and unnecessa
Jacob
Jun 29, 2013 Jacob rated it liked it
Public library copy.

This was a weird mix of stories that mainly features Lex Luthor in his quest for power. The book starts out with Gail Simone's Secret Six (the title I think she writes best) and then the rest of the work features Paul Conrell's work from Superman Action Comics and a Superman annual. I found the story to be more interesting toward the end, maybe editorial was more hands off, I don't know. As is usual with much of DC Comics' work this work would be better appreciated by hardcor
James Bowman
Aug 26, 2015 James Bowman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(This review applies to both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.)

A fun follow-up to Blackest Night (even though it ultimately has little to do with it), featuring Lex Luthor. The author pits Lex against many of the other big bads of the DCU, and makes him an interesting protagonist, yet he remains utterly villainous and despicable throughout. The story does lose some momentum in the second half, and I'm not sure Lex needed Darkseid or Ra's al Ghul in his backstory, but it's still a very satisfying read. (A-)
Tony
Sep 29, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it
I read this in single issues, which may have been a factor in why it felt looser than the first volume. There was a second part of a story in another comic didn't pick up and some weird cross cutting with something I didn't care about in issue 900.

Still, this is a great character-driven book about Lex Luthor and Lex Luthor is the kind of character is take you around the world and to the negative zone via a cast villains.
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 15, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A good conclusion of the Black Ring story line. The annual -- especially with the Young Lex and Darkseid story, is great -- while the rest of the storyline is nice because of its focus on Lex and his quest, and the conclusion is good and appropriate for the character.

I found the sudden introduction of Doomsday in the final issue a bit off-putting, and would have been confused if I didn't know that was a plotline coming in from other Superman comics.
Scott
Jun 02, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, own, dc
Cool conclusion with a fun ending, which I won't spoil. Cornell did a great story-arc here. The last issue also heralded the return of Supes to Action Comics, too bad it is only for the next terrible story-arc "Reign of Doomsday." Luthor's story here and his search for the secret of the Black Ring was definitely enjoyable.
Charles
I don't really feel this tied things up well for me. The whole series seemed disjointed, as if things were done just because it would be cool to do it. On the other side, there definitely are many cool things going on, so I did like it. Obviously, if you read the first volume, you're going to read this one.
Steve
Jan 30, 2012 Steve rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Really did not like how this story resolved itself with all kinds of deus ex machinas. LITERALLY. It also seemed like it jumped forward to its conclusion rather quickly, like the pacing was rushed to wrap things up very quickly to coincide with the anniversary issue 900.
Joe Young
Jul 24, 2012 Joe Young rated it liked it
Paul Cornell - writer
Pete Woods - artist

3/5

A fun little story focusing on Lex Luthor's quest to find some mystical black spheres which, when he's found them all, will grant him power far beyond even his nemesis Superman.
Ron DeVinitz
Oct 02, 2011 Ron DeVinitz rated it liked it
Fun and diverting read. Moments of real wit, but a dull ending. I'm pretty sure Kurt Busiek and Pete Woods already did this ending a few years back.
Annice22
This was even better than the first volume. Lex Luthor will never stop being power hungry and will let nothing get in his way to obtain it. This was really great.
Eleana
Dec 24, 2013 Eleana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I didnt read vol1 so i was kind of confused but I enjoyed this
Jay
Feb 03, 2013 Jay rated it it was ok
Not bad, but not great just ok.
Danie
Aug 13, 2012 Danie rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc
A little puzzly of a plot, but, mostly enjoyable, plus, I need to catch up on who the heck Scandal Savage is.
Joe Kuhlmann
Not as good as the first volume, but still a refreshing and exciting must-read.
Variaciones Enrojo
Tomo 2 de 2. Editado por ECC.
  • Superboy: The Boy of Steel
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 5: Emerald Eclipse
  • Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow: Into the Woods
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell...

The Black Ring (2 books)