Start by marking “Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang” as Want to Read:
Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Tang carried the war to the enemy with unparalleled ferocity. This is her story as told by her skipper.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published July 6th 2011 by Presidio Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Clear the Bridge!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clear the Bridge!

Rick Wong
Oct 02, 2007 Rick Wong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick O Kane, probably would have been the greatest sub capt in the US Navy if it weren't for the faulty torpedo. That he survived is amazing. This book is like a been there; done that, but it's never boring.
Jan 02, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
incredible autobiographical account of very successful WWII U.S. submarine captain. Reads like fiction....
Jan 24, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelent follow-up to Wahoo. Dick O'Kane gets his own boat. Exciting battles but a good dose of humor as well. It always amazes me how light-hearted these men were considering the dangerous task they were given. O'Kane was a real man, confident yet humble, tough yet protective of his crew. Where are our Dick O'Kanes today?
Dec 28, 2009 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best account of submarine operations during WWII. Starts with account of O'Kane as XO with a CO who was reluctant to "take the fight to the enemy." Interesting how he balanced his obligation to support his skipper with a crew that rapidly began doubting his ability to command. Goes on to describe his following war patrols as skipper of famous USS TANG. Exciting and technically accurate. I am a nuclear submariner. Not sure I would have had the guts to do the kinds of extended combat these brave m ...more
Charles Nettleman,
Awesome book! This book isn't just a war narrative, but one of the best thrillers I've read all year.
Mar 02, 2013 Manray9 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The U.S. Submarine Service broke the back of the Japanese Empire and "Killer" O'Kane was America's most accomplished submariner. Strong four-star material.
May 18, 2012 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this based on a recommendation from a submariner off the USS Chicago I chatted with at the Horse and Cow in Tamuning. Fortunately, I found a copy at the book exchange in the medical library up the hill.
When I saw that it was 480 pages long and written by an admiral, I thought gawd this is going to be a long, slow slog. But it wasn't. It surely wasn't. I enjoy practical details of lives and jobs, skills and professions, and this book is full of all that. Now I can conceive of just what it
Aug 03, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Straightforward and unsentimental. Sort of a beefed-up patrol report put in language that can be understood by non-submariners. It doesn't give you much of a sense of what it was like to do a war patrol, or how O'Kane felt or thought or made decisions; it's almost purely narrative. Even knowing TANG's fate, I was surprised and saddened by the abruptness of the ending.
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
John Nevola
Sep 10, 2012 John Nevola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There have been a number of books written by submarine captains about their specific boats during World War II. "Clear The Bridge" is among the best. Written by Rear Admiral Richard. H. O'Kane some thirty years after the war, it is a rollicking and compelling story about one of the elite boats of the submarine service.

The book is not only among the best books; the U.S.S. Tang was among the best submarines deployed in the Pacific. First of all, the book is well written. Most importantly, the subm
Jeff Wombold
Feb 09, 2014 Jeff Wombold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With each chapter I read I pictured myself on board; being a qualified submariner I can relate to some of the experiences were being talked about. Although I was only in the Cold War a lot of the experiences are the same. I finally understand the term "Flood negative and Blow negative to the Mark"; I hear these all the time in Movies, but never really understood what it was. I sort of wish I had a chance to serve on a diesel boat.
Aug 02, 2013 Carolyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not care for this book at all as it had way too many statistics. Had to skim over many parts.
Aug 17, 2013 Mordy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, just amazing! I couldn't put it down.
Oct 12, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. I had first read it 20 or 30 years ago. He had graduated from Phillips Academy in 1930 and I first heard about him when the alumnae magazine published a list of WWII heros and mentioned his book.

There are many lessons within the book about leadership. It does remind us all how sad and ultimately stupid wars are.
May 21, 2015 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-history
Occasionly difficult to read do to sub jargon. However,
interesting read, especially having experienced "Final Mission" at the National WW2
Museum in New Orleans.
Robert Paquette
Robert Paquette rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Vince Fox
Vince Fox rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Scott Foshee
Fascinating Tribute to the Silent Service, Very Detailed, Understandable, and Well Written

I bought this book at the National WWII museum in New Orleans after I did the USS Tang experience, which makes you part of an interactive experience reenacting the Tang's last war patrol. You get a card before you go in identifying you as one of the actual crew members, doing his job during an attack and seeing at the end if you were lost at sea or rescued. My crew member, along with most others, didn't mak
Hal rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Jason , etc.
Jul 10, 2015 Jason , etc. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People come up to me all the time and ask, "M'Lord, why do you read books about WWII submarine warfare written by people who commanded submarines during WWII?" My response is that I read such books because there's nothing in the fiction genre (excepting perhaps The Hunt for Red October or Run Silent, Run Deep) that packs a wallop equal to the exploits of extraordinary people living in extraordinary times and doing extraordinary things. Submarine warfare and those who were involved in its executi ...more
Karl Magallanes
Karl Magallanes rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2015
Martin J. Hornung
Martin J. Hornung rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
preopširno, prerazvučeno. na žalost.
Kevin Seufert
Kevin Seufert rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Jan 14, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional and engaging account of an American submarine crew during WWII. The story of survival is harrowing and awe inspiring.

I read the complete book on a flight from Denver to London for a business trip.
Dean Moore
Dean Moore rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Feb 23, 2016 7$MartyQ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Hell Was In Session

Dudley "Mush" Morton's protege Dick O'Kane learned the finer points of his trade from probably the most daring submarine skipper of WWII, and were it not for a faulty torpedo, would have probably been the highest scoring boat of the war. One of only a very few men to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and remain alive, he was one of the Greatest of "The Greatest Generation".
Ian Chapman
Apr 25, 2016 Ian Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well written. Captain O'Kane, son of a college professor, is an example of the great East Coast Irish-American families towards their best.
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Submarine!
  • Silent Running
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Nimitz
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War Off America's East Coast, 1942
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
Rear Admiral Richard Hetherington “Dick” O'Kane was a United States Navy submarine commander in World War II, who received a Medal of Honor for his service on the Tang.

He also served on the Wahoo, as executive officer and approach officer. He participated in more successful attacks on Japanese shipping than any other submarine officer during the war.
More about Richard H. O'Kane...

“We all learned to think before we spoke and to limit what we said to the problem at hand.” 0 likes