Start by marking “Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang” as Want to Read:
Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Tang carried the war to the enemy with unparalleled ferocity. This is her story as told by her skipper.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published July 6th 2011 by Presidio Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Clear the Bridge!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clear the Bridge!

John Nevola
There have been a number of books written by submarine captains about their specific boats during World War II. "Clear The Bridge" is among the best. Written by Rear Admiral Richard. H. O'Kane some thirty years after the war, it is a rollicking and compelling story about one of the elite boats of the submarine service.

The book is not only among the best books; the U.S.S. Tang was among the best submarines deployed in the Pacific. First of all, the book is well written. Most importantly, the subm
Mordy
Excellent, just amazing! I couldn't put it down.
Wanda
I read this based on a recommendation from a submariner off the USS Chicago I chatted with at the Horse and Cow in Tamuning. Fortunately, I found a copy at the book exchange in the medical library up the hill.
When I saw that it was 480 pages long and written by an admiral, I thought gawd this is going to be a long, slow slog. But it wasn't. It surely wasn't. I enjoy practical details of lives and jobs, skills and professions, and this book is full of all that. Now I can conceive of just what it
Scott
Best account of submarine operations during WWII. Starts with account of O'Kane as XO with a CO who was reluctant to "take the fight to the enemy." Interesting how he balanced his obligation to support his skipper with a crew that rapidly began doubting his ability to command. Goes on to describe his following war patrols as skipper of famous USS TANG. Exciting and technically accurate. I am a nuclear submariner. Not sure I would have had the guts to do the kinds of extended combat these brave m ...more
Scott Foshee
Fascinating Tribute to the Silent Service, Very Detailed, Understandable, and Well Written

I bought this book at the National WWII museum in New Orleans after I did the USS Tang experience, which makes you part of an interactive experience reenacting the Tang's last war patrol. You get a card before you go in identifying you as one of the actual crew members, doing his job during an attack and seeing at the end if you were lost at sea or rescued. My crew member, along with most others, didn't mak
Jeff Wombold
With each chapter I read I pictured myself on board; being a qualified submariner I can relate to some of the experiences were being talked about. Although I was only in the Cold War a lot of the experiences are the same. I finally understand the term "Flood negative and Blow negative to the Mark"; I hear these all the time in Movies, but never really understood what it was. I sort of wish I had a chance to serve on a diesel boat.
Ryan
Straightforward and unsentimental. Sort of a beefed-up patrol report put in language that can be understood by non-submariners. It doesn't give you much of a sense of what it was like to do a war patrol, or how O'Kane felt or thought or made decisions; it's almost purely narrative. Even knowing TANG's fate, I was surprised and saddened by the abruptness of the ending.
Rick
This was an excellent book. I had first read it 20 or 30 years ago. He had graduated from Phillips Academy in 1930 and I first heard about him when the alumnae magazine published a list of WWII heros and mentioned his book.

There are many lessons within the book about leadership. It does remind us all how sad and ultimately stupid wars are.
Dan
Excelent follow-up to Wahoo. Dick O'Kane gets his own boat. Exciting battles but a good dose of humor as well. It always amazes me how light-hearted these men were considering the dangerous task they were given. O'Kane was a real man, confident yet humble, tough yet protective of his crew. Where are our Dick O'Kanes today?
Rick Wong
Dick O Kane, probably would have been the greatest sub capt in the US Navy if it weren't for the faulty torpedo. That he survived is amazing. This book is like a been there; done that, but it's never boring.
Kirk
Occasionly difficult to read do to sub jargon. However,
interesting read, especially having experienced "Final Mission" at the National WW2
Museum in New Orleans.
Manray9
The U.S. Submarine Service broke the back of the Japanese Empire and "Killer" O'Kane was America's most accomplished submariner. Strong four-star material.
John
incredible autobiographical account of very successful WWII U.S. submarine captain. Reads like fiction....
Charles Nettleman,
Awesome book! This book isn't just a war narrative, but one of the best thrillers I've read all year.
Chris Walden
Detailed accounts of each war patrol of the Tang from her skipper. Next best thing to being there!
Carolyn
Did not care for this book at all as it had way too many statistics. Had to skim over many parts.
Ray Pierson
I read this after reading O'Kane's book about the Wahoo. OUTSTANDING!
Nathaniel Walden
Exciting, well written and full of history. What more could you want?
Jon Coker
One of the best Pacific war accounts by a likeable war hero.
Richard
Awesome bio of submarine warfare in WW2. Must read
Brian Baker
Brian Baker marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Biskit96
Biskit96 marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Joel Miller
Joel Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Joel Pettit
Joel Pettit marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Erle
Erle marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Submarine!
  • Silent Running
  • Silent Victory: the U.S Submarine Victory against Japan (Bluejacket Books)
  • Nimitz
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943
  • The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History
  • Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War Off America's East Coast, 1942
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days