Start by marking “O ùltimo papa” as Want to Read:
O ùltimo papa

O ùltimo papa (Vaticano #1)

3.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,399 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
1978, Cidade do Vaticano.
A irmã Vincenza, assistente pessoal de João Paulo I, chega à antecâmara dos aposentos pontífices e descobre que Albino Luciani, representante de Deus na Terra, jaz morto na cama. Tinha sido eleito Papa há apenas 33 dias. E em 2000 anos de História, nunca nenhum Papa havia morrido sozinho.

2006, Londres
Sarah Monteiro, uma jovem jornalista portuguesa,
Livro de Bolso, 11X17
Published by Bertrand (first published January 1st 2005)

Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rocha weaves a historical event with great action. He pulls no punches when it comes to the corrupt nature of the Vatican and presents a strong 'assassination' rationale for the death of Pope John Paul I. I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative and the interspersed historical explanations of key Vatican characters.
Glenn
Sep 30, 2009 Glenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, you know a book is in trouble when it takes 50 pages to explain the denouement. Somewhere in this book is a fun thriller, but it gets bogged down in crummy writing and the attempt to be cinematic. Apparently this was a best seller in Europe. It must be better in Portuguese. Bottom line, its an easy read (if you don't get bogged down by too many characters with no names) and a convoluted mess.
El
Aug 13, 2010 El rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 21st-centurylit
I honestly have no idea what happened in this book. I feel bad because I read it cover-to-cover. I haven't read Dan Brown, but this is exactly what I expect Dan Brown's writing to be like. But because this author is Portuguese I hoped it might be better (for whatever reason; hi, welcome to my brain).

I just... it's not even worth reviewing. If there was a legitimate timeline to the story it might have had a chance. But if you label one chapter as taking place in 1978 I assume the following chapte
Virginia Markhart
Oct 02, 2010 Virginia Markhart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the deal. I pride myself on finishing what I start. Part of my OCD, I guess. This book was in a bag that my mother gave me last time I visited.

I really really REALLY tried to get clear through this book. Took me two weeks of reading maybe 10 pages at a time. I could never even find anything interesting to help me with this goal. Finally on the weekend, I thought, ok, I can do this. With only 70 pages left, I can do this. Took all day Saturday to choke down 30 of the final 70. Then, I hav
Jorge Mota Pereira
A must read for someone to understand Vatican's most dark secrets and incomprensible facts.
Luis shows an amazing knowledge on the subject, a deep research work and a fluid writing, very easy to follow and taking the reader on a pleasure journey we wouldn't like to end.
Wonderful book.
Jen
Feb 06, 2009 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a "try it for 100 pages" rule. This book didn't make it past page 75.
Rita
Dec 06, 2012 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Adorei.
Acção. Conspiração. Intriga. Suspense. Ficção e alguns factos históricos.
Estes são os ingredientes que gosto num livro e neste caso estão cá todos.
Recomendo.
Holly
Feb 28, 2011 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good spy/thriller novel and a very quick read. It's the kind of fast-paced book I like to read just for the fun of it, so I didn't go into it with any expectations, other than to be entertained by some "what ifs?" for a few hours.

It's written with a blend of historical fact and fiction - the facts being that Pope John Paul I died after only 33 days as pope in 1978 under circumstances that seem somewhat shady. The author uses this as a jumping off point for the fictional part of the sto
Pedro
Jan 19, 2014 Pedro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depois de muitos anos a ler JRS e Dan Brown, começava a achar que a formula do triller estava esgotada e estagnada, tanto na temática como na abordagem. Devo dizer que fiquei positivamente surpreendido com este livro, mesmo sem nunca ter lido mais nenhum do mesmo autor.

Para começar, gostei que abordasse a corrupção no Vaticano de um modo mais próximo da realidade que os outros livros do género. As personagens não são cliché, como nos últimos livros que tenho lido, e são multi-dimensionais. Como
Julian Lees
Started off well with an intriguing plot concerning the death of Pope John Paul I but it fell away in the final quarter. A good holiday read.
Kevin Conlon
Mar 28, 2010 Kevin Conlon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So-so thriller featuring flashbacks to the 'murder' of Pope John Paul 1 back in 1978. A poor imitation of a Dan Brown novel (which is a bad start), but then it has the audacity to claim that everything in the book is true. Even fans of conspiracy theories should steer clear of this book
Miguel
Nov 26, 2015 Miguel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parecido com José Rodrigues dos Santos ou com San Brown ou Dan Brown com José Rodrigues dos Santos, etc....até me perdi, tal como no livro em que por vezes tem tanta acção que nunca se resolve a história, sobre algumas das actividades da igreja do Vaticano...
Dagmar
Apr 13, 2017 Dagmar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The thriller part felt a bit surreal I got lost a couple of times but made it to the back cover in the end. On the plus side it made me search a bit deeper into the church processing e.g. conclave and t discover more on John Paul I.
Jennifer C
Feb 15, 2013 Jennifer C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
If you liked the Da Vinci Code, you will like this book.

The Last Pope deals with the conspiracy theory around Pope John Paul I's death.

I enjoyed reading this, not so much for the spies and race against the bad guys to preserve good, but more so about the history around John Paul I's death. I was very intrigued by all that I learned. I was only 3 years old when he died so I don't remember any of the scandal but I find it all very intriguing now. It even has a Chicago connection.

I also find it i
intrepideddie
Similar to some of Dan Brown's work, this book has a lot going on: religious conspiracies, secret societies, murder, intrigue, and some actual history. Also similar to Dan Brown, the author has long, drawn-out pages of character dialogue and narrative detailing various historical points. It's almost a mash-up of various newspaper articles and Wikipedia entries. This isn't necessarily bad, if it's done right.

It wasn't done right.

The story comes across very flat; the characters have very little di
Joana Gomes
Este livro foi uma bela surpresa, afinal foi escrito por um autor que conseguiu um lugar no top do New York Times... Mas não consigo dar-lhe mais do que 3 estrelas, porque a escrita não é das minhas preferidas (a transição entre o formal e o informal pareceu-me uma tentativa de retirar tensão ao livro e dar-lhe um ar cómico, mas honestamente não me soou muito bem). A acção desenvolve-se rápido e o livro agarrou-me, mas achei as reviravoltas um bocado descabidas :-/ acho um livro óptimo para féri ...more
Peggy
Mar 12, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who enjoyed The DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons should definitely read this one!
The title caught my eye when browsing the World Literature collection at my local library, and. The Last Pope is historical fiction that reads like an action movie or TV show - in a good way ;-) Originally written by Rocha in 2006 and translated by Dolores M. Koch in 2008, I found The Last Pope to have a well paced plot and nice tension/suspense.
The subject matter actually is relevant to the recent surprisi
Maria Carmo
I am delighted about this Author. His books are incredibly thrilling and interesting. I am only sorry I discovered him after his death.
I am now looking forward to reading his other books!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 2 June 2016.
Álvaro Athayde
Mar 03, 2015 Álvaro Athayde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toda a gente.
Recommended to Álvaro by: Tropecei nele.
Shelves: historical-novel

A LER

Explica como, e porquê, morreu o Papa João Paulo I .

Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Bram Setiadi
Mar 26, 2017 Bram Setiadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rocha gave me a really wonderful adventure. He could smoothly combine facts from Catholic Churches in the past with some fiction characters. It creates such a terrific plots with knowledge (almost of them are history of the Church) which running inside my head every time I read it. Glad to find this book, proud to finish it. Fascinating.
Joao
May 29, 2017 Joao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito bom, com factos reais a mistura, prende ate ao fim.

Luís Miguel Rocha :
Os seus livros acabaram por ter uma grande projecção a nível mundial, causando também mal-estar junto dos responsáveis máximos da hierarquia católica.
David
Feb 15, 2017 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Unfortunately gave up at about 200 pages in. Too many characters that didn't seem to be involved in the plot in any way. The plot was thin and frankly didn't hold my attention.
James
May 18, 2017 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of trouble getting into this book and it just never got me
Eder Leal
A jornalista Sarah Monteiro, filha de pais portugueses, mas que mora em Londres, Inglaterra, ao voltar de férias, encontra em sua correspondência, alguns documentos enigmáticos. Entre eles, uma lista com alguns nomes, inclusive o de seu pai, e uma mensagem codificada. A partir daí, Sarah se vê em meio um turbilhão de acontecimentos e revelações sobre política e religião, que imediatamente colocam sua segurança e sua vida em risco. Tudo porque tais documentos estão intimamente ligados à morte do ...more
Wirotomo Nofamilyname
Dec 28, 2012 Wirotomo Nofamilyname rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people in the world, to show you that you know nothing... :-)
Buku ke-48 yang selesai dibaca pada tahun 2015.

Buku ini mengisahkan perburuan dokumen yang membuktikan teori konspirasi bahwa kematian Paus Johannes Paulus I pada tahun 1978 adalah disebabkan pembunuhan dan bukan kematian wajar.

Novel teori konspirasi seperti ini, menurut saya harusnya dapat menyampaikan hal-hal yang masih spekulatif menjadi sesuatu yang meyakinkan, dan tentu saja plot cerita harus cukup seru dan meyakinkan.

Untuk hal yang pertama, menurut saya dengan menampilkan skandal Banco Amb
Hobby
Oct 13, 2012 Hobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fanda, Sinta, Mia
Judul Asli : THE LAST POPE
Copyright © 2006 by Luís Miguel Rocha
Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Alih Bahasa : Fahmy Yamani
Desain Sampul : Marcel A.W.
Cetakan I : Juli 2011 ; 352 hlm

[ Period : 1907 – 2006 | Portugal, Spain, Venetia, Vatican City, London, New York ]

~ The Beginning ~
Vatican City, 29 September 1978, dini hari ...

[ 4.30 ] Suster Vincenza melakukan tugas harian, mengantarkan minuman kopi kepada Don Albino Luciani atau yang dikenal sebagai Paus Yohanes Paulus I, meletakkan baki di
Judy
This was not a bad book, but definitely could have been better. There are a lot of comparisons made to Dan Brown's books by other reviewers, but I think the resemblance is pretty superficial. The general premise of Pope John Paul I being murdered (he died after 33 days in office) by someone trying to keep him from reforming the financial affairs of the Vatican is intriguing, but the delivery is a bit confusing with jumps back and forth in time, points of view, and between countries and even cont ...more
Stephen
Aug 23, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I'll discuss technical considerations, and then I'll discuss the book and my feelings about it.

The English version is a translation from the original Spanish. As such occasionally it is hard to follow. For me the worst thing is that when the story shifts from the past to the present there are only year tags at the beginning of the chapters and not when it is done mid-chapter. That can cause some confusion for the reader. Other than that, this is a fine piece.

As for the book itself, I ran a
Dominic Barber
I am generally attracted to this kind of European spy story, especially when it has some reasonably believable conspiracy theory going for it. I have to say that it was confusing and oddly written. Most of that I attribute to the poor translation.
Rossrn Nunamaker
The book moved quickly with short chapters as one has come to expect from the genre. It also had some potentially interesting characters, but in the end it was a let-down for me.

The book was written and set in 2006. It opens with the murder of a clergyman, Monsignor Firenzi, in Rome. The murder is over documents that Firenzi came into possession of that were related to the death of Pope John Paul I.

Pope John Paul I died in 1978 within one month of becoming Pope and the reader soon learns it was
  • Enquanto Salazar Dormia...
  • Os Retornados
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #5)
  • Inverno de Sombras
  • A Mão do Diabo
  • The Sacred Bones
  • O Espião Português
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Kingdom
  • O Mistério da Estrada de Sintra
  • A Fórmula do Amor
  • Perguntem a Sarah Gross
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
So, you want to know more about Luis?
Well, he was born in Oporto, northern Portugal, in 1976. It was a sunny winter's day of February... at least that's what his mother says...
Luis spent his childhood in Viana do Castelo, a small town north of Oporto.
He devoted himself exclusively to writing while trying to be a citizen of the world.
He was the author of The Last Pope, The Holy Bullet and The Pope'
More about Luis Miguel Rocha...

Vaticano (5 books)
  • The Holy Bullet
  • The Pope's Assassin
  • A Filha do Papa
  • A Resignação (Vaticano, #5)