Start by marking “If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?: Finding Common Ground” as Want to Read:
If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?: Finding Common Ground

If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?: Finding Common Ground

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
“We need to understand our stories because our lives depend upon it.” -- Ted Chamberlin

The stories we tell each other reflect and shape our deepest feelings. Stories help us live our lives -- and are at the heart of our current conflicts. We love and hate because of them; we make homes for ourselves and drive others out on the basis of ancient tales. As Ted Chamberlin vivi
Published May 28th 2010 by Vintage Canada (first published August 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?

Emily
When I first read this book, I wrote this as a caption in Instagram: “One of the best books I've read on quite some time. At once eclectic, elegant, and spirited, it charts the hold stories have on us, and articulates everything I love about the field of literature. If you're looking for a book to read this summer, this one comes very highly recommended.”

Having now read it many times over, my love for this book has only deepened – we’re talking if-I-could-only-read-one-book-for-the-rest-of-my-li
Malcolm
Every now and then I read a book that thoroughly impresses me with the author's learning, its erudition, its sheer elegance, and with the power of its argument (in 1990 it was a marvellous book called Black Sheep and Kissing Cousins: How Family Stories Shape Us). This is one of those. By way of a discussion of the question of indigenous claims to land, Chamberlin explores the ways that stories work, the ways they blend the real and the imaginary, the ways different communities, cultures and occu ...more
Bill Brydon
J. Edward Chamberlin, takes his title from the indigenous challenge issued to British settler/colonials who claimed this land by over-riding the claims of its original inhabitants, Chamberlin stresses the world-making power of stories this way. He writes: “In many ways, home is an image for the power of stories. With both, we need to live in them if they are to take hold, and we need to stand back from them if we are to understand their power”
Emma
I just finished reading this book today and feel like I need to go back to the beginning and start reading it again. The subtitle of my edition is 'finding common ground' which I think is a better subtitle. It's about ideas of story, ownership of land, truth and history and it made me see all of those things in a new way.
Andrew
This is an important book without seeming like an "important book" -- highly readable and entertaining, as a story should be. It provides insight into what common ground and inter-cultural understanding is all about.
Nicole
There was a lot to think about in this book. I enjoyed it, but I don't know if it was the best choice for holiday reading - I might try reading it again sometime when I'm less distracted.
Mathew
Mathew marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Samye
Samye added it
May 21, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
Caira
Caira marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Alistair
Alistair marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Orchid
Orchid marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Mavaddat
Mavaddat marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Julia
Julia added it
Feb 02, 2015
Chaneli
Chaneli marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Mavaddat
Mavaddat marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Horse: How the Horse Has Shaped Civilizations Island: How Islands Transform the World COME BACK TO ME MY LANGUAGE: Poetry and the West Indies A Covenant in Wonder with the World Living Language and Dead Reckoning: Navigating Oral and Written Traditions