Start by marking “Alone Across the Arctic: A Woman's Journey Across the Top of the World by Dog Team” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In February 1993, eight sled dogs and one woman set out from Barrow, Alaska, to mush 2,500 miles. "Along Across the Arctic" chronicles this astounding expedition.
Published June 1st 2003 by Alaska Northwest Books (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Alone Across the Arctic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alone Across the Arctic

Terri
Jan 25, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
Pam Flowers loves the arctic. And she decided to undertake a huge task - to cross the artic circle with her dog team. This is the story of that trip (with lots of great pictures). A very interesting read which I really enjoyed.
Emily
The book was fine, but it wasn't a page turner. I wouldn't read it again. It took me a month and a half to finish it and it's a really short book. The story line is interesting, but I just found that the author included a lot of details that I didn't care about and then skimmed over ones that might have been interesting. I have to admit that the parts I didn't care too much for where the ones where she went into details on the dogs. I guess that's because I'm not a dog lover. She spent a whole s ...more
Arminzerella
Pam Flowers has always been kind of a loner. After finding herself in Texas, working at a career she didn’t particularly enjoy, she remembered her dream of one day moving to a “snowy vastness” and having adventures. She decided to quit her job and move to Alaska. She found work at the Howling Dog Farm and learned how to raise and train sled dogs. She took up dog breeding and mushing and competed in the Iditarod. During this time she also began planning her own expedition – she wanted to retrace ...more
Cynthia
Sep 26, 2015 Cynthia rated it liked it
This is an older memoir but such a great adventure story. Pam Flowers seems like such a strange, grumpy person but she clearly loves her dogs. Maybe more detail than some kids would want but overall interesting. And spoiler! All the dogs survive.
M Baldrica
Jan 20, 2016 M Baldrica rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Woman from UP of Michigan makes a trip across the Arctic alone with her dogs and dog sled. Unbelievable what they went through and all survived. Took them 15 mos.
Jeanne
Jul 24, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story about Pam's trip across the Arctic.
Ginny
Oct 14, 2014 Ginny rated it really liked it
Quick and interesting read.
Diane Wachter
Mar 24, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
Alone Across The Arctic: One Woman's Epic Journey by Dog Team, Pam Flowers, with Ann Dixon. HB-B, @ 2001, 4/11/06. One woman alone (Pam Flowers) with 8 sled dogs, going from Barrows, Alaska to Nova Scotia, in February of 1993, 2,500 miles. Very interesting.
10-11 Isabella
Dec 26, 2010 10-11 Isabella rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
I thought this book was just okay. It was interesting to read about Pam Flowers' adventures, but it was not really a topic that I really enjoy. I am not really into adventure in the wild.
Stacey
Dec 10, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
Read this with my 10 year old and we were both captivated with Pam & her dogs and their epic journey. Can't wait to meet her in person this spring at the library!
Margiemae
Apr 10, 2010 Margiemae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard Pam speak last week and was impressed with her courag and determniation. I am a dog sledding fan! I enjoyd going along with her on her travels.
C
Oct 06, 2009 C rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Read this with J, now reading with E. Good modern woman adventure story, though I can never imagine the appeal of the arctic...
Cheryl
Mar 25, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous true adventure story.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
Why? Left me??
Veronika Stigaard Larsen
Veronika Stigaard Larsen marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Kimberly Carter
Kimberly Carter marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Maggie Luning
Maggie Luning is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Kc
Kc rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
John White
John White rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Jan 24, 2016
Tessa
Tessa rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Tamiko
Tamiko is currently reading it
May 06, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016