Start by marking “Grooves: A Kind of Mystery” as Want to Read:
Grooves: A Kind of Mystery

Grooves: A Kind of Mystery

A quirky middle–grade novel about an enterprising seventh–grader who discovers an astonishing plea for help in the grooves of his blue jeans.

Dwayne Ruggles is a regular kid living in a regular town until evil entrepreneur Howard Thigpen shows up. Thigpen seems to have the ability to make people do whatever he wants, and sparks of light swirl around him wherever he goes. Bu
Published February 28th 2006 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Grooves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grooves

Andrew Bernstein
Aug 13, 2012 Andrew Bernstein rated it liked it
i'd go 3.5 stars, but couldn't get myself to round up to 4.

been reading a lot of Brockmeier the past month or so and I saw this and thought it would be fun for my 11 year old and I to read about the same time as I had really enjoyed his writing style and other stuff.

I was disappointed that this didn't feel "Brockmeier-y" enough to me, however it was a fun, quick read and had a lot of little bits of humor and clever wordplay.

I picked it up on a lazy Sunday (it was sitting next to me and my kin
Luke
May 01, 2008 Luke rated it did not like it
Sorry to all those who loved this book, but I just did not liked this. I found it very annoying that the author was constantly referring to the characters by their full names: "Kevin Applebab" or "Emily Holmes". (I also did not like the names very well...)

The concept really appealed to me. Talking jeans! How cool is that? Anyway, the author just didn't come through.
Alli
Aug 09, 2012 Alli rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ages 9-12, people who like intriguing mystery. (even some grown-ups may like this)
Recommended to Alli by: my dad...
This book was pretty good, all though I feel like it resolved a little too quickly and easily in the end. I like the concept a lot, though. If you liked this book, you should try reading The Mysterious Benedict Society series, it has lots of similarities. Overall, this book was pretty good.
Brionna Kincaid
Feb 14, 2017 Brionna Kincaid rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book in middle school. It's about this everyday kid solving a weird mystery with his friends. I personally loved the little details each character received. Helped them to be more real to me. Though I do understand if it's a bit to quirky for some readers.

If you like strange mysteries, attention to details, or going on an adventure with an everyday Joe, than you'll like this book.
Candida
Oct 23, 2016 Candida rated it liked it
Chapter 1-The main characters are Dwayne Ruggles, the class is doing an experiment

Chapter 2- Dwayne meets his best friend Kevin Applebab, Dwayne is trying to figure out what he is going to do for his science project. Dwayne noticed sparks in Howard Thigpen

Chapter 3-Dwayne is confused what the lights are around Howard Thigpen, Dwayne is getting an idea at home Dwayne is testing his jeans and doing the same experiment he did at school in science

Chapter 4- Dwayne is testing the grooves in his jeans
Joyce
May 22, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
I found this to be an intriguing, unpredictable book--in a good way. Couldn't guess what was going on; enjoyed the camaraderie of the kids. Summary: A quirky middle-grade novel about an enterprising seventh-grader who discovers an astonishing plea for help in the grooves of his blue jeans.

Teen
I love booktalking this one - a guy is learning about how phonographs/records work in his science class and starts "listening" to the grooves in walls, his jeans, etc. - he hears voices begging for help and goes on a quest to find out what's up - very funny in a deadpan way. Good times. (JLR)

7th grader Dwayne is learning about how phonographs/records work in his science class and starts "listening" to the grooves in walls, his jeans, etc. He hears voices begging for help and goes on a quest to f
Mark Holtzen
Jun 06, 2011 Mark Holtzen rated it it was ok
Eh. Not sure why he pulled punches with this one - it certainly shouldn't have been because it's a kid book. Maybe an editor got a hold of it? His writing is so great but this one had too many scenes of waiting for the bus. I feel he dumbed down too much. Kind of cool concept but just didn't have teeth. Maybe having read his short stories and a novel recently made this seem more watered down.
Lara
Aug 13, 2009 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-fic
What a neato story, where the kid finds a weird message embedded in the grooves of his jeans, like a record album. Then he, and his friends, all of whom he refers to by their full name (a quirk that I liked), must find out where these panicked messages are coming from. Also, I liked the teacher Mr. Fred, a comic book enthusiast, who has won several thousands of copies of the Ghostbusters soundtrack and now uses them as frisbees and furniture.
Emily
Jan 02, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Messages encoded in jeans, potato chips, and fingertips. Help me, help me. Just go with it, and the book is kind of fun to read. And the TV shows described in the book are pretty funny. Again, just go with it.
Kim
Jan 02, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
This book was silly and irreverent and a bit strange. It reads like something Piers Anthony might have done if he was given two hours and ten random words or phrases to play with. I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't buy it for my kids -- this one is best borrowed.
Tiffany
Mar 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Unique story idea but the writing is kind of simple. Everything goes pretty easy for the kids. Fun, quick read though.
Allison
Jan 25, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The plot's a little thin in places, but it's all about discovery and thinking and experimenting. I really enjoyed this one.
Israel Rogers
Feb 21, 2014 Israel Rogers rated it really liked it
Real fast read. The author is from Little Rock. I enjoyed it, but be aware it is a young adult book so not too earth shattering or plausible, just a fun quick read.
Megrarian
Megrarian rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2009
Ever
Ever rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2011
J Fleck
J Fleck rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Feb 21, 2009
Abigail
May 08, 2008 Abigail rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensj
cutely written, but overly predictable.
Tess
Tess rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Dianna Damir
Dianna Damir rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
emily
emily rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2007
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
David
David rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2008
Lori June
Lori June rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born and raised in Little Rock, Arkansas, Brockmeier received his MFA from the Iowa Writer's Workshop in 1997. His stories have been featured in The New Yorker, McSweeny's, Crazyhorse, and The Georgia Review. He is the recipient of an O. Henry Award, the Nelson Algren Award, and a National Endowment of the Arts grant.
More about Kevin Brockmeier...