Grooves: A Kind of Mystery

Grooves: A Kind of Mystery

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A quirky middle-grade novel about an enterprising seventh-grader who discovers an astonishing plea for help in the grooves of his blue jeans.

Dwayne Ruggles is a regular kid living in a regular town until evil entrepreneur Howard Thigpen shows up. Thigpen seems to have the ability to make people do whatever he wants, and sparks of light swirl around him wherever he goes. Bu...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Katherine Tegen Books

Andrew Bernstein
i'd go 3.5 stars, but couldn't get myself to round up to 4.

been reading a lot of Brockmeier the past month or so and I saw this and thought it would be fun for my 11 year old and I to read about the same time as I had really enjoyed his writing style and other stuff.

I was disappointed that this didn't feel "Brockmeier-y" enough to me, however it was a fun, quick read and had a lot of little bits of humor and clever wordplay.

I picked it up on a lazy Sunday (it was sitting next to me and my kin...more
Luke
Sorry to all those who loved this book, but I just did not liked this. I found it very annoying that the author was constantly referring to the characters by their full names: "Kevin Applebab" or "Emily Holmes". (I also did not like the names very well...)

The concept really appealed to me. Talking jeans! How cool is that? Anyway, the author just didn't come through.
Alli
Aug 25, 2012 Alli rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 9-12, people who like intriguing mystery. (even some grown-ups may like this)
Recommended to Alli by: my dad...
This book was pretty good, all though I feel like it resolved a little too quickly and easily in the end. I like the concept a lot, though. If you liked this book, you should try reading The Mysterious Benedict Society series, it has lots of similarities. Overall, this book was pretty good.
Israel Rogers
Real fast read. The author is from Little Rock. I enjoyed it, but be aware it is a young adult book so not too earth shattering or plausible, just a fun quick read.
Teen
I love booktalking this one - a guy is learning about how phonographs/records work in his science class and starts "listening" to the grooves in walls, his jeans, etc. - he hears voices begging for help and goes on a quest to find out what's up - very funny in a deadpan way. Good times. (JLR)

7th grader Dwayne is learning about how phonographs/records work in his science class and starts "listening" to the grooves in walls, his jeans, etc. He hears voices begging for help and goes on a quest to f...more
Lara
What a neato story, where the kid finds a weird message embedded in the grooves of his jeans, like a record album. Then he, and his friends, all of whom he refers to by their full name (a quirk that I liked), must find out where these panicked messages are coming from. Also, I liked the teacher Mr. Fred, a comic book enthusiast, who has won several thousands of copies of the Ghostbusters soundtrack and now uses them as frisbees and furniture.
Mark Holtzen
Eh. Not sure why he pulled punches with this one - it certainly shouldn't have been because it's a kid book. Maybe an editor got a hold of it? His writing is so great but this one had too many scenes of waiting for the bus. I feel he dumbed down too much. Kind of cool concept but just didn't have teeth. Maybe having read his short stories and a novel recently made this seem more watered down.
Kim
This book was silly and irreverent and a bit strange. It reads like something Piers Anthony might have done if he was given two hours and ten random words or phrases to play with. I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't buy it for my kids -- this one is best borrowed.
Emily
Messages encoded in jeans, potato chips, and fingertips. Help me, help me. Just go with it, and the book is kind of fun to read. And the TV shows described in the book are pretty funny. Again, just go with it.
Annika
This book is really interesting, grooves being the main subject. It provides thrills of both a mystery and an adventure.
Allison
The plot's a little thin in places, but it's all about discovery and thinking and experimenting. I really enjoyed this one.
Tiffany
Unique story idea but the writing is kind of simple. Everything goes pretty easy for the kids. Fun, quick read though.
Abigail
cutely written, but overly predictable.
Rose
May 20, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
JF Bro
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jun 21, 2014
Joshlynn Melvin
Joshlynn Melvin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Widji
Widji marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Joyce
Joyce is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
cam
cam marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Nidhi
Nidhi is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2013
Christina Bryant
Christina Bryant marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born and raised in Little Rock, Arkansas, Brockmeier received his MFA from the Iowa Writer's Workshop in 1997. His stories have been featured in The New Yorker, McSweeny's, Crazyhorse, and The Georgia Review. He is the recipient of an O. Henry Award, the Nelson Algren Award, and a National Endowment of the Arts grant.
More about Kevin Brockmeier...
The Brief History of the Dead The Illumination The View from the Seventh Layer Things that Fall from the Sky The Truth About Celia