Start by marking “Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons” as Want to Read:
Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons

Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A season-to-season cookbook that provides recipes for 100 low-fat, flavor-rich soups, plus broths and stews and 25 breads to go with them. Includes Orange-Butternut Squash soup, Zesty Green Gazpacho, and Vegetable Stew with Gnocchi. You'll find exotic international offerings, basic comfort soups, delicate broths, and plenty of hearty soups and stews that can serve as one-d ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons

Lisa Vegan
Nov 04, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys soup, vegans & vegetarians
I have and love a very similar book to this by Barb Bloomfield called Soup’s On! Both books have wonderful soup and bread/muffin/etc. accompaniments recipes. Both are worth adding to your cookbook collection if you enjoy soup.

This book divides the soups by the four seasons. The recipes look easy to make. There are some useful general instructions and information provided.

My only complaint about these recipes is that many are heavy on oil and alcohol and sodium, none of which I usually enjoy, but
Liz
If I had to choose only one soup cookbook, this would likely be my pick. (And I love soup, so that's saying something!) Don't let its slim stature fool you; it's packed with delicious recipes for soup and a smaller number of recipes for yummy accompanying baked goods. I've yet to make anything from this cookbook that I didn't enjoy.

(As a side note, I've long wondered why some people [such as a reviewer below] review cookbooks before trying any recipes from them. It seems to me that that's kind
Amy
Jan 16, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegetarians, non-vegetarians, soup enthusiasts
Recommended to Amy by: Nan
I could never make a tasty vegetarian soup until I got this book (it was a gift from my pal Nan many years ago). I use it all the time, especially in winter. The recipes range from quick dinners to cook-all-day stews; my favorites are the tomato four-grain and the tomato-lentil-barley, both hearty cold-weather soups that freeze well for leftovers. There's also a handful of recipes at the back for breads, muffins, and crackers to accompany the soups and Atlas' amusing illustrations throughout.
Jen Gott
I found this cookbook to be very inspiring. The recipes were at a level of difficulty approximately one step more than I already do with my cooking so I found them approachable and achievable unlike some cookbooks where I read the 40 steps and say, "Well that sounds delicious and way too much work for me to ever make." This book by contrast was appealing and interesting. A very pleasant library-stumble-upon which I hope to own in the near future.
Nancy
4 stars because it had no pictures, otherwise it would be 5. Almost everything in here sounds good, and there's every a baking section in the back for the go-withs. I'm thinking Soupy Sundays might start preceding Meatless Mondays. This is a library copy, so I'm going to have to track down my own.
Jodi
I already own about five million cookbooks, which is why I check them out from the library. But the recipes in this cookbook look so fantastic, I might just have to buy myself a copy of this one.
Alyson
Lots of good soup ideas. Kind of potato heavy was my only complaint. I did get a recipe for vegan sour cream. I'm going to test that out soon.
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Sher
Sher marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Anon
Anon marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Linda Ross
Linda Ross marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Yusanda
Yusanda marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kathrynanne Wright
Kathrynanne Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Aldene
Aldene marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
The Earth Kitchen
The Earth Kitchen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Mandy Dunphy
Mandy Dunphy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Angela Hall
Angela Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
AnimalLover
AnimalLover marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Nava Atlas is the author and illustrator of many well-known vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, including Wild About Greens, Vegan Holiday Kitchen, and many others. Her first book was Vegetariana, now considered a classic in its field. In addition, she has published two books of humor,Expect the Unexpected When You’re Expecting! (A parody), and Secret Recipes for the Modern Wife. Her latest nonfiction

More about Nava Atlas...
Vegan Express The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons