Start by marking “The Best of O. Henry” as Want to Read:
The Best of O. Henry

The Best of O. Henry

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  28 reviews
26 of the best of O. Henry's stories including: "The Gift of the Magi," "The Voice of the City," "The Ransom of Red Chief," and more.
Paperback, 1st, 268 pages
Published 2008 by Jaico Publishing House (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of O. Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of O. Henry

Nov 02, 2010 Matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: social critics
Shelves: shortstories, fiction
Am not really through with this yet, but I really like O'Henry so far. He has a sharp eye for the minute, daily clashes and crashes between individuals of various races, backgrounds, etc, as per the America of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It makes me think that Singapore is in a similar situation - if only we had a writer with a sharp eye and turn of phrase to turn our history into the next generation's literature! His twists are smart but realistic, his writing sympathetic without be ...more
Anshu Malee
I first read O Henry, some years ago in his most famous story 'The Gift of the Magi' which is one of the few stories I recall often as one of my favourite short stories. That time I had thought I shall read more of him some day sooner or later. This week I was fortunate enough to do so.

I enjoyed my short read as the stories were quite short, not so elaborated but relating to a particular incidence, with unexpected twist endings. And as critics say prominent features of his stories seemed to be w
Oct 16, 2008 Kirstie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Interesting people
Recommended to Kirstie by: my mother peaked my interest at an early age
This is definitely a great starting point for those interested in O. Henry. These stories really remind me a bit of Roald Dahl without all of the grimness but with some of the twisted endings crossed with the humanity element that Richard Yates provides. Most of them take place in NYC and focus on the issues of the people there and this collection in particular is worth looking at if you are a purist because the stories are published in the original submitted form vs. the post edited forms that ...more
John Stevens
I picked up this book in a used book store, Cellar Stories, in downtown Providence, RI, while out for a lunchtime walk about 15 years ago. As most people do, I knew a couple of the stories and was curious about O'Henry's writing style. Would I like more or all of his work?

As I read the cover I found that the collection is organized in the order that he wrote each piece. It describes how O'Henry's style, vocabulary, story telling ability and perspective it easily witnessed by the reader as she st
Dec 18, 2007 Stacy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I did this play last Christmas. So I have read a script version of this about 1000 times, broken it down, memorized and read it again and then performed it about 8 times. So to say I've read it is a bit of an understatement. Many of O'Henry's story's show the "real" picture of life for people in the cities while still giving you the warm fuzzies. Hard to do but he manages it. Gift of the Magi anyone? I would highly encourge anyone who is feeling Scroogy at any time of the year to head to Greensb ...more
It's true, O. Henry looses a little something after the first read, but just the guy's command of language is worth multiple reads. Somewhere between Samuel Clemens and John Steinbeck. And the sheer number of original short-stories he has written (over 600 (?)) is phenomenal. I listened to this in the car and I think it would have been better in a quiet situation, like in the dark before bed, because everything is so condensed and the innuendo is important. He manages to evoke a lot of feeling f ...more
I love O. Henry's stories.

Although I will prepare my own guess of the how the author will end it, I always surprised how wrong my predictions were when it comes to O. Henry's short stories. The only problem with this collection is that, there are a lot of typographical errors. Almost every page contains spelling mistakes, which I think is a grave sin in publishing. I don't think Jaico had been thorough in proofreading. So, I hope that they will publish flawless copies on their next printing.

O. Henry was a brilliant story writer. I am amazed when I find people who have never read a single one of his stories. There was always one O. Henry short story in my English books and it was always assigned. As soon as my mother purchased my school books at the beginning of the year, I would thumb through the pages of my English class textbook to find if there was an O. Henry story in there.

Definitely a wonderful treat for any avid reader of short stories.
Phani Tholeti
O.Henry. "Cop and the Anthem" with Soapy was the first story followed by "after Twenty Years" with Silky Bob and Jimmy Wells. And from then on I've tried to read as much as I could. This collection begins with a beautiful description of streets and roads. And has some very very good stories including the above and also "The Last Leaf". Probably the major missing story is "Roads of Destiny".
Nice short stories, but many of them were so similar to each other that it got a bit predictable and boring.
Airplane book.

Getting five stars because I didn't think it would 'hook' me (and I love O. Henry) because I didn't think these stories were really the author's best.

I was totally wrong. This little text helped me survive a scary take-off from PDX, and held my attention on a brutal red eye flight. So, hats off to you, Ian F. A. Bell. You really know your stuff.
O. Henry short stories are the scale that all other short stories in English are measured against. Writers crave winning the O. Henry Award for their writing. Winners have included Stephen King, John Updike, and Woody Allen (had to throw that one in). This is a good little collection of some of the stories from the ex-con who wrote under the pseudonym O. Henry.
Feb 05, 2010 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica this is ny
It's evident why O. Henry is one of the finest writers from any era. Right off the bat "A Harlem Tragedy" knocks your socks off and the stories that follow are just as crisp, easy to read and captivating. Clip on your "mighty bright" book light (got mine at Borders) in a pitch black room and go off into your imagination. Thanks, "New York World". Thanks, O.!
Goodloe Bankes
O. Henry is a master of language and can use it like an artist uses brush and canvas. He paints his story with words. I enjoyed him in jr.high, high school and university. When someone refers to his language as archaic, they should consider the date he wrote it and that the language of that day was. Heck, they even have a candy bar named after him.
Sep 03, 2015 Amanda is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
O. Henry has a way with words reminiscent of Fitzgerald: one turn of phrase, and he owns the English language. Yet there is only so much snarkiness and so many (predictable) twist-endings I can take in one sitting.

I would recommend reading O. Henry intermittently. A few stories in between longer reads.
Yash Mehta
O'Henry is an indulging author, combining humour and circumstantial oddities, resulting in a mindbogglingly fantabulous page-flipper. His usual theme "Life Offers To Deny" at its apex.
i adore o'henry. excellent writing style, great dry wit, beautifully crafted sentences. his stories usually have a white hat verses black theme and are good for some quick moral inventory.
Rita Platt
Didn't read every story... but, I personally am finished with this book. O Henry's story are uneven...some are FANTASTIC so much.
These stories are amazing. The first, The Gift of the Magi, is very famous. It could made a stone cold serial killer smile.
I must have read this over and over as a child and adolescent. I loved his surprising twists of fate. So much like real life!
A brilliant collection of short stories from a master. A delight to dip into, again and again.
The stories I liked: The Last Leaf and The Cop and the Anthem.
Yara Chalupa
Difficult to read, his English is so rich, many words I never heard.
Lindsay Campbell
Aug 27, 2007 Lindsay Campbell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
the original master of the short story.
Favs are The Green Door and The Skylight Room
All of his stories are great!!!!!!
superb short stories
nice ending
I love all stories written by O'Henry!
Ferry Herlambang
Penulis cerpen terbaik. Di versiku...
  • The Short Stories of Charles Dickens (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)
  • Best of S J Perelman
  • The Celestial Omnibus and other Stories
  • The Secret Cases of Sherlock Holmes
  • Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants
  • Countdown
  • Capital Markets: Institutions and Instruments (4th Edition)
  • Why I Live at the P.O. and Other Stories
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • The Great Book Of Puzzles And Teasers
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories The Best Short Stories of O. Henry