Start by marking “The Boy With Pink Hair” as Want to Read:
The Boy With Pink Hair

The Boy With Pink Hair

3.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
He was born that way-The Boy with Pink Hair. He had a cotton candy colored mop that no one had ever seen before . . . Life is not easy being pink. Adults stare at you, little children giggle behind your back and some kids are just mean. But when you have a best friend who appreciates your uniqueness and parents who are loving and supportive, you can do just about anything. ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Celebra Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Boy With Pink Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy With Pink Hair

And Tango Makes Three by Justin RichardsonGoblinheart by Brett AxelHeather Has Two Mommies by Lesléa Newman10,000 Dresses by Marcus EwertIt's Okay To Be Different by Todd Parr
LGBTQ Children's Literature
34th out of 96 books — 71 voters
Drama by Raina TelgemeierOver You by Amy ReedRunning Lean by Diana L. SharplesMy Not-So-Still Life by Liz GallagherAbsolutely Maybe by Lisa Yee
Rainbow Hair
36th out of 41 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna Masura
A kindergartener, miraculously born with pink hair, learns how to overcome teasing by focusing on his talent- cooking delectable pink foods. The book features sweet, sensitive characters which are highlighted by bubbly, cartoony illustrations as brightly colored as the protagonist's hair. Written by celebrity gossip blogger, Perez Hilton, The Boy with Pink Hair,/i> tackles issues of self-worth and confidence which are, truthfully, too complex for the preschool/early elementary children that t ...more
Halley Todd
In his authorial debut, celebrity blogger Perez Hilton sends a strong anti-bullying message. The Boy with Pink Hair was born that way. His parents had normal hair color, but his just somehow came out pink. His parents loved him anyways, and still encouraged him to follow his dreams, which included cooking delicious food, and dying it pink. When he started school, a Boy with a Bad Attitude made fun of him because his hair was a different color. However, a Girl with a Ponytail liked his hair and b ...more
Susie Esrey
May 02, 2015 Susie Esrey rated it liked it
I thought it was a cute book with a good message.
Nathan
May 04, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-under10
I was skeptical about this book, because, let's be honest, it's by Perez Hilton. But the cover caught my eye and I couldn't resist bringing it home. Fortunately it was worth it.
I enjoyed this book mostly for the illustrations. The story was great as well, but these pictures were amazing. Also I loved the lesson here. We all know that differences are what makes us special but sometimes we need reminding. Great book, great message.
John Egbert
Jul 15, 2011 John Egbert marked it as to-read
Can someone please tell this guy to stop writing books?
Natalie Traylor
The Boy with Pink Hair is the name of the main character in the book. He was born with pink hair and loved to cook. The night before his first day of school, his parents warned him that he would be different than the rest of the kids. He walked in and a boy with a bad attitude made fun of him. He became friends with a girl with ponytails. The day the families were coming to eat, the stove stopped working. The Boy with Pink Hair saved the day by cooking all things pink with his friends. The boy w ...more
Robin Rousu
Shelves: 2013, queer
Barrett
Oct 27, 2011 Barrett rated it it was amazing
**Caldecott Nomination Book:
I believe "The Boy with Pink Hair" by Perez Hilton should be nominated for the Caldecott Award. First of all, I believe this book was very well written and had a great message to it: self-acceptance. This book teaches kids that it is okay to be different and you should not be afraid to express who you really are. In today's world, a boy who is tends to be more flamboyant and "girlier" than the other boys in school tend to get bullied and picked on. This book symbolize
Katie
Sep 14, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, family, glbt
Really my rating is 2.5 out of 3 stars. Not going to lie that I have a slight Perez obsession and all things gossip writing starting with Louella Parsons, which was the main reason I bought this one. I was also intrigued to see what his writing style would be particularly since writing a really good picture book can be the most difficult.

There are some moments where the writing is better than others. There wasn't as much repetitive language as I would like to see in a children's book nor did he
Lynn
Dec 05, 2012 Lynn rated it did not like it
To be honest I find it troubling that any...I mean ANY parent would purchase a book from a guy that is a bully, perverted, bottom feeding scum like Perez. He knowingly posted pictures of an underaged girls private parts. I CANNOT RESPECT ANYONE THAT WOULD BUY HIS CAR AND HOUSE. I KNOW THE GIRL STEPPED OUT WITH A DRESS WITHOUT UNDERWEAR, BUT WE WOULD NOT USE THAT EXCUSE FOR RAPE AND WE CAN'T FOR HIM!, because the girl was underaged and wasn't trying to draw attention. And sometimes a girl needs t ...more
Paige Partlow
This is a book about a boy who wanted to dye his hair pink. This book is controversial because it delves into the topic of being transgender. This book could be used in the classroom to uplift children and show them that they are still loved regardless of who they are.
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 Gina Diloreto rated it really liked it
Hilton, P. "The boy with the pink hair". (2011). New York: Penguin Group.

A great story about non-conformity and celebrating your differences! I was skeptical about a book written by Perez Hilton, but I really love the message.
Den
Mar 21, 2016 Den rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2016
A book which shows that being different is not always as bad as it seems. It is about accepting your differences and who you are, no matter what the rest of the world says.
Helie
Jun 16, 2014 Helie rated it it was amazing
My kids absolutely love this book! We read it over and over again, always finding a way back to it. The message is wonderful and I have recommended it to many of my friends.
Miri
May 01, 2015 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I know he's a celebrity author, but I don't know anything about Perez Hilton. The book is cute enough, and I like the message, even if the plot is fairly unlikely.
Ckolleen
Mar 09, 2015 Ckolleen rated it it was amazing
There is nothing wrong with having something different, like hair color. It is a cute book though about how everyone's differences help them.
Lupine
Oct 26, 2011 Lupine rated it did not like it
I try to read celebrity authored picture books with an open mind. Some impress me (holla Jamie Lee C and Steve Martin!) while others infuriate me because it shows how little some people think of picture books and the skill it takes to write a good one. This one falls into the latter category. The title is great and I think the illustrations are cute but that's where it ends. The story is flat, contrived and uninteresting and totally talks down to the reader. There are better books about acceptin ...more
Heidi
Dec 07, 2014 Heidi rated it liked it
Shelves: children, read-2014
3.5 stars.
Marika
May 02, 2016 Marika rated it did not like it
Shelves: edrd-314
Poorly written and patronizing; I did not care for this book at all. The formatting and story is exactly the sort that frustrated me as a child, because I felt talked down to. The writing style is obnoxious and insists upon referring to every character as things such as 'The Boy With Pink Hair' and 'The Girl With Ponytails' throughout the text. The one redeeming aspect of this book is the cute illustrations, they are colorful and fun. Overall, I did not enjoy this story at all.
Shanshad Whelan
Jan 31, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it it was ok
This is one of those message books that never quite achieves natural flow. Instead the anti-bullying, "your special and different" type of messages are plonked in the readers/listeners' laps and the story just never gets off the ground. This is a case of having something to say . . . but not exactly the right creative writing platform and story arc to do so gracefully.
Nicole Adams
This book is about a boy who wanted to dye his hair pink. The controversial book could be used to encourage the idea of being different and that someone who is different should still be treated with the same respect as others.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I get what the author was tying to do. The message is commendable but Hilton was fairly heavy handed in conveying it to the reader. The illustrations are cute.
Anthony
Jan 02, 2013 Anthony rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, university
I have to say, the book was awful.
The well meaning messages were defeated by the sloppy writing and one dimensional, stereotyped characters.
Don't recommend it, save your money for something worthwhile.
Claudia Telleria
Nov 20, 2015 Claudia Telleria rated it really liked it
This book was very cute! I love the message in this book. I would have this book in my classroom to teach my students that even though we are all different we all have a purpose in this world.
Dec 10, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book shows kids that even though you are different you can make a difference. It teaches people tolerance and understanding. Everyone has something unique and special about them.
Bradley
Aug 02, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I don't know why this was on my to-read list. Probably because Perez Hilton is involved. It's a good book for kids that might feel different because this book endorses loving yourself.
Oct 12, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Cute enough, though the plot is decidedly unrealistic, even though I guess it's good to dream big. Nice anti-bullying/acceptance message for kids.
Crystal
Sep 22, 2011 Crystal rated it it was ok
I like the general idea of the book - celebration of differences, but the actual storyline felt very contrived.
Taylor Baker-Gower
Apr 18, 2016 Taylor Baker-Gower rated it did not like it
Despite the fun cover, this book turned out to be ridiculous and boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr. is an American blogger and television personality. His blog is Perezhilton.com (formerly PageSixSixSix.com), which he writes under the pseudonym Pérez Hilton. On his website Lavandeira posts gossip items about musicians, actors and celebrities. His posts are delivered with an irreverent and sometimes cruel slant. He often posts tabloid photographs over which he has add ...more
More about Pérez Hilton...