Start by marking “The Archived (The Archived, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Archived (The Archived, #1)

The Archived (The Archived #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  11,456 ratings  ·  2,300 reviews
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Ma
Published January 22nd 2013 by Hyperion

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
46th out of 1,524 books — 10,629 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
76th out of 2,466 books — 12,472 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
I have to admit, it wasn't until the second half of the book that The Archived really started clicking together for me. I've heard that some people who read the extended preview online were unsure if they wanted to continue, and I can see why--but something about the writing was really appealing to me and I ended up having a great experience with it.

Here's what I liked about the book:

* Dead people who are kept on shelves like books? Sign me on! Awesome premise.
* I loved the eerie, something's-n
Lola
description

Thinking back, I don’t remember ever reading something quite like this story before. It was very creative and imaginative, I have to say. The concept refreshing and interesting to read about. Although, there were many things that didn’t work for me as well as they did for multiple other book lovers who read this mysterious looking book.

For being mysterious, that it sure was, especially at the beginning. I was eager to learn everything about the main character’s ability and the world-building,
Raeleen Lemay
*2.5*

HEAR ME OUT.

I really loved the intricate world that Victoria Schwab created, and her writing was great as usual. However. The plot fell so flat for me, and I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening. One redeeming factor aside from the world building was WESLEY. I really loved him as a character and it made me sad that he wasn't a bigger part of the story.

I don't think I'll be continuing on with this series (trilogy? duology? who knows.), but I will definitely be chec
Victoria Schwab
Jan 30, 2012 Victoria Schwab added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Two years in my brain and more than a year putting it on the page properly. I can't wait to be able to share it.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This book was AMAZING. Everybody needs this book in their life. Do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP.
Regan
Victoria Schwab crafts another beautiful and unique story.

Plus, guyliner.
Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 4.5

I truly underestimated this book. You know how when you first read a book's blurb and it totally catches your attention as something different and unique? You know that feeling right afterwards that can only be described nothing short of "Gimme Syndrome"? Yeah, that's how I felt with The Archived. But for whatever reason, I got distracted and started picking up other books (you know how it is). Well, one day I was frolicking through my bookshelf, re-read the blurb and engaged t
Kat O'Keeffe
Amazing story, beautifully written, and all around fantastic characters! AN EXCELLENT READ!
Joel
I can’t believe I am giving this a 1 star rating… I am so disappointed :(. I don’t want to ramble on about what made me dislike this book so much, but to put it simply, everything that made Victoria’s other novel Vicious so wonderful, was just not there at all with this book.

The only good thing I can say about the book is that I am so glad that I read Vicious before it! I probably never would have read any more of Victoria’s work if I had read this first; but I will definitely be reading A Darke
Hailey LeBlanc (HailsHeartsNyc)
3.5*
I just didn't love it. I had been so super excited for this book when I first heard about it and I built up this idea in my head of what it was going to be and it just wasn't anything like that. I think had I have had lower expectations and no previous knowledge of the synopsis, I really would've liked this, but that just wasn't the case.
Merna
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Initial reaction when reading the blurb: Yeah, I sooo want to read this!

Reaction after finishing: meh...

Blurbs are one of the utmost misleading information to be given to a reader. Reading a blurb and thinking it sounds decent is like watchin
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘
Buddy read with the wonderful Chelsea

" What if I mess up? "
" Oh, you will. You’ll mess up, you’ll make mistakes, you’ll break things. Some you’ll be able to piece together, and others you’ll lose. That’s all a given. But there’s only one thing you have to do for me. "
" What’s that? "
" Stay alive enough to mess up again. "

See, I don't know if that's because :

a) I actually read a lot of slow-paced-kill-me-now books when I was in college - like this one, the riveting story of a man who decides to
Pixie
**Please go to my blog The Bookaholic to see my full review.**

Today, I have a most wonderful book to talk about. I’ve been trying to hold off a little while on my review since I had finished it a few weeks ago, but I figured it’d be okay to post it now.

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff is perhaps one of my favorite books of the 2012 releases. But it’s not going to be a tough one to answer next year when asked about favorites of 2013. Hands down, The Archived by Victoria Schwab is one of the best read
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Shamazing buddy read with two of my favorite lovelies, Anna and Elena. *Muah*

*********************************************************************

Knowledge is power, but ignorance can be a blessing.

This book...this book took me by surprise. If not for how much the idea of a place where the dead are cataloged and their memories forever embedded in their very being (I think that's the best way to describe it), then for how much I loved and adored these abilities.

A death is traumatic. Vivid enou
Kassidy
*4.5*
Okay so I really really loved this one!!

That atmosphere is amazing. It's so creepy and haunting. I just had a weird, almost magical, feeling the whole time I was reading this book! Most of it is set in this old hotel that was turned into apartments, and it holds so many secrets. I loved figuring out all of the secrets and mysteries along with the main character, Mackenzie.

I really enjoyed Mackenzie's character. She has so much to deal with in her life, and I like how she does make some mis
Leah
One of these days I’ll get around to really sitting down and planning out how I want my reviews to look and read. I really should make them consistent, but it’s not happening yet.

THE ARCHIVED is the second book by Victoria Schwab/VE Schwab that I’ve read, and she’s definitely becoming an author whose work I’ll be on the lookout for in the future. The plot of this story seemed so freaking original and creative to me. I really don’t think I’ve read anything like it. The idea that the dead are line
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Mackenzie isn't your average teenage girl, she's a Keeper. Her job is to keep the Histories from the Outer and returning them back The Archived. When her family moves to an old hotel where she knows a murder takes place, she starts to unravel the corruption that is deeply ingrained in the Archived. Who can she trust? Who is the mysterious new boy? Is he a friend or foe? Will she find out who is responsible for the Histories getting out?

Slow start to the whole story-line since we're getting used
Liz

I wish I knew how to review this one to do the book justice.
I wish, and yes I am aware how morbid that sounds, I could wander in the Archive and its utter peace and quiet and trace the names of those long gone with my fingers and take a look at their stories.
(view spoiler)

Imagine a library where you can read bodies and people's Histories instead of books. Where mysterious Librarians catalogue every History they have and guard
Mitch
The Archived is a book I would read for the writing, but for me at least there’s just something missing to the story that didn’t leave me particularly satisfied. It wasn’t until almost the end that I really understood how the variously storylines connected together and what the ultimate point of the book is, but even now, my reaction to the whole thing is more underwhelmed acceptance than anything else because I just don’t have any strong feelings toward anything I’ve read. I guess for a book th ...more
Mith
I'm not really the sort of person who needs to have all her questions answered by the end of the book. I don't sit and dissect every book I read, trying to figure out the allegories, once I'm done - I'm mainly in for the ride. Make the story and the world it's set in (not to metion the writing) plausible and I'm a happy camper. So, it's not wonder that The Archived (where, though the world-building is not fully explained away, it is enough to make you think "A library for the dead? Sure, why not ...more
Neil(ed) it!
EDIT: Changing my rating to 4 stars since I realized you guys are correct that the main purpose of The Archived isn't clear.

Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there; I do not sleep.

I'm keeping an eye for this book since then because of its promising premise and interesting main concept. And after reading this book, well, I was very satisfied that I forgot some of Mackenzie's (the female protagonist) irritating actions, though they happened for a good reason (I think), they were still
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Sometimes a book can be perfectly well done, and unique, and clever, but still fail to work for a particular reader. I mean, I like The Archived, but I do not have hugely strong feelings for it. On some levels, I'm really not sure where the book lost me, but I'll try to explain as best I can. Keep in mind as you read that this is a good book, even if it's not as much of a "me" book as I expected.

The whole concept of the Archive makes me so curious. Even now I have a million questions about what'
Danielle (is trying to escape reality)
I hate when I'm the only one who dislikes a book.

The Archived is another one of those tons of squandered potential books. You've supposedly got a kick ass premise that's super unique (a library of dead souls and the people who protect them and get them when they escape), what seems like will be a fun protagonist and love interest, some paranormal fun, some action, etc etc etc...... and you think all this is gonna happen and be included. Then it just. doesn't. pan. out.

My issues with this book:

Shandra
Buddy read with Andrea and Athena.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars. Any spoilers will be clearly marked.

meh photo: MEH ! MEH.jpg

3.5 stars is actually a fairly good rating. While I liked this book, it left me with a generalized meh feeling. It didn't wow me, or leave me feeling like I just have to find out what happens. I suppose I should clarify why this isn't four or five stars…

shrug photo: shrug shrug.gif

So, the concept is that the Archive houses all of our "bodies" after we die. The Librarians can "read" us and they shelve us accordingly. If you
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
I am only reading this because Victoria wrote The Near Witch, which was one of my favorite books this year. (Seriously, go read it, it's fucking BRILLIANT)

OHMIGOSH, I SO EXCITED.

description

Upon Finishing...

Inheriting the job from her grandfather, Mackenzie Bishop works as a Keeper, someone who can slide a key into cracks in the world. These cracks lead into endless corridors of doors called the Narrows. Mackenzie's job is to find Histories, copies of people who have died, who have woken up and send them
Nickle Love (Night Owl Reads)
Review of the sneak peek can also be found in my blog: http://www.nightowlreads.org/2012/09/...

I loved it. It's a unique story with and intriguing plot. Since it's only a sneak peek, there's still much more to learn about this world. So far it's only been about Mac and her job as a Keeper, and how she misses family members she'd lost.

Mac looks back to when she first trained for the job she was too young for, but asked to be part of. At the same time adjusting to the new life her parents want for
tarawrawr
Review to be posted on my blog closer to publication date.

I don’t even know where to begin talking about The Archived by Victoria Schwab. I am head over heels for The Archived. If you thought The Near Witch was amazing, you are just going to be blown away by The Archived.

I mean, for one thing – the story. I loved the world Victoria Schwab created in The Archived. There are so many elements to the world of The Archived, like the Narrows and the Histories and the Librarians and the Outer and the A
Macarena
4,25 o tal vez ,5
Me gusto mucho la historia, el mundo en general me pareció interesante y la escritura de Victoria es muy bella, sin embargo, el libro no me llego a deslumbrar como para 5 estrellas.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Katy
4.5 stars - Bouncing between 4 and 5, but why the hell not. I had a few issues, but it's has been a long time since I've come across something different from the same o' same o'. And one that was done so well that I was left thoroughly impressed.

Simply put, this book was beautiful written - the deceivingly normal world Schwab has created only to reveal a haunting concept just beyond the doors, literally. I loved the creepy feel to the Narrows as the Keepers wander through the maze, not knowing w
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Mystique
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Blackbirds
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)
  • Warm Up  (Vicious, #0.5)
  • The Waking Dark
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.
More about Victoria Schwab...

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Untitled (The Archived, #3)
The Unbound (The Archived, #2) The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1) Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5) New Beginnings (Everyday Angel, #1) The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)

“What if I mess up?"

"Oh, you will. You'll mess up, you'll make mistakes, you'll break things. Some you'll be able to piece together, and others you'll lose. That's all a given. But there's only one thing you have to do for me."

"What's that?"

"Stay alive long enough to mess up again.”
170 likes
“Lying is easy. But it's lonely."
"What do you mean?"
"When you lie to everyone about everything, what's left? What's true?"
"Nothing," I say.