Start by marking “Packy & me” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176

Matthew Maberry

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On April 14, 1962, the birth of a precocious pachyderm captivated the world. The elephant--Portland, Oregon's own Packy--garnered national and international attention as the first-ever captive elephant born in an American zoo. In the face of an unpopular war in Vietnam and rising racial tensions, America needed a distraction. And now, more than forty years later, the man a...more
Published February 25th 2011 by Arnica Pub.

To ask other readers questions about Packy & me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Packy & me

LisaKaren
This is a easygoing book that gives perspective to an event celebrated, but largely forgotten- the successful birth of Packy the 50 year old elephant patriarch at the Oregon Zoo. Times were much different then and it is startling to read Dr. Mayberry's tales of trying to get any kind of help or information about elephant birth. There was no precedence. He was a typical country doctor suddenly forced to take charge at the biggest event of the year -- and he did it!
Gina
This is not a great book, but it is an easy read, with great pictures, and tells a story that is interesting in its own right, but is especially close to the heart of Portlanders. It would have been with it for the adorable baby pictures of Packy along.
Kallen Kentner
This is a comfortable read. The writing style is relaxed and informal, as if you were sitting across from the late Dr. Mayberry, listening to him tell you the amazing story of how he ended up being the first American Vet ever to deliver a baby elephant.

Packy, now 50 and still living in Portland at the Oregon Zoo, catapulted this man to fame.

The story of this man and Packy is also a story about how an elephant captured the imagination and excited an entire city.

This the story from his view. He...more
Amanda
An amazing story and a fantastic man and his love for animals. As an aspiring vet I was instently intrigued. His life story is incredible and I can only hope to accomplish a sliver of his life. The only thing that I found I was wanting more of was the technical veterinary information about elephant births. However for the average reader this is a fantastic book.
Angie Agerter
What a great story. Not only did I learn about Packy's birth, but I also learned more about the Oregon Zoo as a whole. Tidbits that made me laugh out loud and had to share with my husband.
Alexandra Joy
A great history of both Packy and the origins of the Oregon Zoo.
Kat Shelton
Kat Shelton marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Emma
Emma added it
Oct 05, 2012
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2011