Start by marking “The Emperor's Gold (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Emperor's Gold (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
July 1805. The armies of France have only to sail to England to complete Napoleon’s domination over Europe. Britain is militarily weak, politically divided, unsettled by her rioting poor. Into this feverish environment comes a dead man. Pulled half-drowned from a shipwreck, his past erased, Tom Roscarrock is put to work
for the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey
Published June 1st 2011 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's Gold

Andy
Feb 01, 2014 Andy rated it liked it
I‘m glad that’s done with, moreso in relief & with a tinge of disappointment as the premise & opening chapters were good & promised of a grand adventure over land & sea with Bony’s army massed in Northern France, The desperate British navy blockading ports to prevent invasion, Vice-Admiral Nelson chasing a French fleet across the oceans, Irish provocateurs loose in the countryside, spy networks that only a select few at admiralty knew of & the French secret police, all during ...more
Manda Scott
Jun 17, 2011 Manda Scott rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a pre-publication proof and it blew me away - As a writer, I always got a huge number of historical novels to read (and provide cover quotes if I liked them). As Chair of the HWA, that number seems to have increased exponentially. Some of them, frankly, are dire. Some are OK. Some are quite good. Once in a while, there’s one that’s so very, very good it leaves me breathless and speechless and at the same time reading bits out to Faith. She has a degree in English Lit- she’s f ...more
Anthony Fisher
Mar 03, 2012 Anthony Fisher rated it liked it
The premise was good. Napoleon's hordes waiting to cross the English Channel to defeat the English. Plots regarding a mysterious french naval fleet to draw off the English naval squadrons blockading the French ports. Spies in both countries gathering intelligence and killing off each other when possible. Industrial uprising and sabotage in industrial areas assisted by Irish rebels. General unrest and insurgence leading to a march on London. Added to this the mysteriously recruited English spy (t ...more
Elizabeth Ashworth
This book begins with an atmospheric description of a shipwreck and continues with the story of the one man who survived and who is given the name Tom Roscarrock by a shadowy rescuer.

I wouldn't rate this novel as an easy read as the plot is complex and for much of the time I wasn't sure what was going on, but it helped me to empathise with Roscarrock as he didn't really know what was happening for much of time either until things became clear to him towards the end of the novel.

The story is take
Margareth8537
May 19, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook read by Cameron Stewart
Published under title Treason's Tide.
Fascinating book which works surprisingly well as an audiobook. It consists of documents from the Office of the Comptroller-General for Scrutiny & Survey (a precursor of MI5 and MI6), and deals with Napoleon's proposed invasion of England in 1805. To get his barges out of port he has created a secret fleet to draw off the English blockade, and various diversions in England.
The book moves from England to France, from the Ad
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
There are some really well written reviews on here already so im not going to go into too much detail... lets just summarise

Very Well written
Great Plot
Great characters
Great Pace
Sucks the reader into another time and place

And all this for 1 on the Kindle.... how can you lose...seriously i hope Robert Wilton has book 2 ready to go at a serious price so the poor guy can make some money off his hard work and clear talent

Very highly reccomended

(Parm)
Tom
Feb 16, 2014 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off well but tails off quickly. I found it difficult to keep interested, and only kept going as I was hoping it would get better. It did, slightly, towards the end, but not sure it was worth the slog!
Geoff Boxell
Dec 07, 2015 Geoff Boxell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it an engrossing read but can't add anything to Manda Scoot's review, which I think covers it all
Emma
Jan 14, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am delighted to learn that there are more to read.
Derek
Mar 05, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent plot & brilliantly atmospheric of the times. My one critism (of the publisher rather than the author)is that the hand-wriiten letters printed throughout the book are very difficlut to read in a paperback, maybe OK in a larger hardback. I found that I frequently gave up and skipped them but don't let this put you off reading it. I received this book free from Goodreads First Read, thank you.
Bettie☯

Fraudio>rosado
summer 2013
hist fic> napoleonic> spies
pub 2011
abandoned> arch> purplish> wanted to be taken seriously and I couldn't muster the reverence

Read by Cameron Stewart

This only got as long a go as it did because the mp3 player was tucked into my panties on a walk where there was little chance to change the book. Not completely ugly, however there are better books to read.
---------------
Alex Rogers
Jul 03, 2012 Alex Rogers rated it did not like it
I got about 100 pages into this, and gave up, bored. Its not badly written, and the story is okay, but I've got a big library of unread books and I just don't have time to read books that don't thoroughly engage me. Perhaps if you are a historical novel buff you'll get more out of it.
Paul
Received a free copy from Goodreads First Reads Brilliant, exciting tale . a must read.
Naomi Aud
Naomi Aud marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Cameron Robert McHale
Cameron Robert McHale marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Martyn Lennon
Martyn Lennon is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Mark Bowman
Mark Bowman rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Zain
Zain marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Paul Henretty
Paul Henretty is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Dawn
Dawn added it
May 06, 2016
Kurt Vanwezer
Kurt Vanwezer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Mel Cook
Mel Cook rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Christina Holt
Christina Holt marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Walls of Byzantium (The Mistra Chronicles, #1)
  • Zulu Hart (George Hart #1)
  • Master Of War: The Blooding (Master of War, #1)
  • Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1)
  • Castillon (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #1)
  • Traitor's Blood (Civil War Chronicles, #1)
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • Rebellion (Matthew Hawkwood, #4)
  • Imperial Fire
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Leaden Skies (Silver Rush, #3)
  • Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal, #3)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • The Watermen (Tom Pascoe, #1)
  • Brother's Fury (Bleeding Land Trilogy #2)
  • The Caspian Gates (Warrior of Rome, #4)
Robert Wilton is a civil servant who worked for the Ministry of Defence, and on occasion for the Cabinet Office. He was advisor to the Prime Minister of Kosovo in the lead-up to the country’s independence, and has now returned there as a senior international official. He moves between Prishtina, London and Cornwall.
More about Robert Wilton...