Start by marking “For One More Day” as Want to Read:
For One More Day

For One More Day

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  98,256 Ratings  ·  5,948 Reviews
"Every family is a ghost story..."

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a
Published September 26th 2006 by Hachette Books

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made You Cry
77th out of 1,411 books — 3,058 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Books that made you cry!
131st out of 2,658 books — 6,612 voters

More lists with this book...

Estee
Jan 05, 2009 Estee rated it it was amazing
You may believe it or not, but after I read this book, I love both my parent more and more. I try to be a better daughter for them, and I try to understand and appreciate every little thing they've done for me. By reading this book, you will see your parent, especially your mother, as a person who has the purest love ever, and trying to give them back the same...
Heba
Oct 28, 2007 Heba rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a beautiful book. It shows you how every mother in Earth will do just to make her family happy and safe! I cried while reading it.. It shows you the real love the purest love you will ever know. Love without any limitation!

what an outstanding book.. Worth to read it and read it again and again!

Mitch Albom I wish you don't stop writing.
Rajat Ubhaykar
Sep 21, 2012 Rajat Ubhaykar rated it really liked it
Today is a momentous day. It's my mom's birthday! Through an utter coincidence, I happened to take this book up for reading a day before my mother's birthday, temporarily oblivious to the occasion. Oh, how I love such coincidences! They are little life affirming miracles, dismissed by reason as coincidences, for what were the chances of my walking into a friend's room in a different hostel on a hot afternoon on an impulse and ending up finishing this book, unaware of the relevance of the next da ...more
Swetha Amit
Aug 04, 2007 Swetha Amit rated it really liked it
There are many in this world who would do anything to get just that one chance to make amends for their past misgivings. Yet very few get this golden opportunity while the majority is saddled with that nostalgic remorse and regret.

Mitch Albom’s new edition titled “For one more day” takes one through a wistful journey which encounters a strange and enigmatic tryst with the ghost of the past. The story unfolds the main character Charley Benetto (Chick) whose life is in ruins. Being unwanted at his
Wulan
Oct 05, 2008 Wulan rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was on a plane from London to Indonesia via Hongkong, and I cried like a baby all the way. I swear, if the people that sat on my left and right hadnt been my friends, I would've been considered a crazy girl weeping for no reason.

Reading this book made me realize how much I've taken my mum for granted. It opened my eyes and showed me how big and everlasting a mother's love can be, despite all the things that's been done to her.

Mummy, I LOVE YOU!!!!
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 19, 2014 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful and touching mother and son story that will make you reconsider how you treat your own mother.:)
indri
Aug 12, 2010 indri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to indri by: Qui
Shelves: novel-abroad, drama
#2010-72#

"Baca deh, Squid, bukunya baguss.. bikin nangis.."

Aku nggak pernah baca bukunya Mitch Albom sebelumnya, dan ketika Qui merekomendasikan buku ini ketika jalan-jalan di RB menjelang tahun baru kemarin dengan ekspresi mengharukan.

Akhirnya setelah sekian lama dalam tumpukan to-read aku sambar juga untuk dibaca dalam perjalanan pulang. Benar apa yang dikatakannya, sepanjang perjalanan di KRL rasanya dadaku sesak dan mata berkaca-kaca.
Bagaimana Chick Benetto bertemu lagi dengan ibunya yang m
Dale Harcombe
Jan 10, 2016 Dale Harcombe rated it really liked it
Sometimes as you read a book it makes you think not only about the characters in the story but about your own life. That was the case with this book by Mitch Albom. Haven’t you ever wished for one more day with someone you love who has died? A day when you could say all the things you wanted to say and could resolves any past hurts and regrets?
Charley Benetto is at rock bottom, having lost all that meant anything in his life. He decides life is not worth living. But then he gets the gift of one
Abduraafi Andrian
Feb 11, 2016 Abduraafi Andrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terjemahan, 2016
PERHATIAN! Bagi yang belum membaca buku ini, segeralah membacanya. Aku tidak akan menjelaskan kenapa, kau harus mencari tahunya sendiri.

Buku ini tentang seorang anak laki-laki. Tentang seorang ibu. Tentang hubungan seorang anak laki-laki dan ibunya. Tentang Saat-Saat-Ketika-Ibu-Membela-Anaknya. Tentang Saat-Saat-Ketika-Anak-Tidak-Membela-Ibunya.

Juga, tentang seorang ayah. Tentang hubungan seorang ayah dengan anak laki-lakinya. Tentang pilihan. Tentang seorang ayah yang meninggalkan keluarganya.
Matt
Mar 14, 2009 Matt rated it did not like it
For One More Day, like all of Mitch Albom's books, attempts to be an exercise in feel-good warm fuzzies. This overly-verbose mortality tale, however, is not particularly inspiring, uplifting, or even interesting.

When the main character tries to commit suicide, he gets to spend the titular "one more day" with his deceased mother. During the visit, he reminisces about his life growing up in a broken home, the mistakes he made, and how we would do it differently if he could. Interspersed are exampl
Ryan Barton
Jan 13, 2008 Ryan Barton rated it it was ok
Eh. Not sure what the big deal is with this guy. This book was...OK. I cannot say that I liked it a great deal, nor can I say I detested it. The author is a good storyteller, has a good command of structure and the craft of writing, and does not strike me as being anything less than the consummate professional. Picasso was rumoured to have the ability to draw a "perfect circle" freehand; the resulting line is not necessarily a great work of art.

I suppose the nature of the material just was not s
J
Jun 18, 2007 J rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sentimentalists
Reading the back cover and realizing the backdrop is suicide, I was sorely disappointed by the lack of self-face stabbings.

Again, picking up this book, I thought to myself, suicide and Mitch Albom... how could I go wrong? But I was wrong (snicker) dead wrong.

From the beginning, Albom signifies his attachment to this book. He is telling this story from notes and interviews he may have had with the main character. Why is this important? Could the book have been equally effective without him putti
Kay
Very touching book. Much of what the protagonist goes through is very close to my heart, and reading the last chapter made me teary. I'm not a parent, but I am a daughter, and reading this book has reminded me in a gentle and soothing way the sacrifices parents and caregivers make for their children.

Told in flashbacks and the chapters often around two to three pages long, the book was a quick read. Despite the content material, I didn't feel emotionally burdened by the end but instead a little
Suraya (thesuraya)
"I also believed that parents, if they love you, will hold you up safely, above their swirling waters, and sometimes that means youll never know what they endured, and you may treat them unkindly, in a way you otherwise wouldnt"

This book discuss the topic on parents and children and family and it is as heartbreaking as it gets. I miss my parents :(((

/brb calling home/
Jimmy
Sep 14, 2010 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pernahkah Anda merasa sangat merindukan dan membutuhkan seseorang yang sudah pergi dari kehidupan Anda? Lalu, Anda merasa marah pada diri sendiri karena tidak sempat mengatakan hal-hal yang seharusnya Anda katakan padanya. Anda semakin marah karena telah menyia-nyiakan begitu saja hari-hari yang pernah Anda lalui bersamanya. Apalagi Anda sadar bahwa suatu saat setiap orang akan menghadap Sang Pencipta – bisa terjadi kapan saja – tapi Anda selama ini selalu menunda mengatakan atau berbuat sesuatu ...more
Rose
Mar 25, 2016 Rose rated it really liked it
What a beautiful story.

"But she wasn't around, and that's the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone."

If this book doesn't make you want to hug your mom, then I honestly don't know what will.

Chick's story is so powerful because of how honestly it portrays a mother-child relationship. Most of us have felt anger, embarrassment, and disappointment because of our mothers, and while that's normal, we sometimes fo
Roos
Sep 03, 2008 Roos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Syl
Shelves: novelia
Gak sengaja baca buku ini saat Eyang Kakung meninggal, sedih sih tapi lega.

Mitch Albom selalu pintar dalam membuat satu kisah hidup seseorang menjadi satu buku yang syarat pelajaran hidup. Buku ini bukan cerita hantu yang menyeramkan tetapi hantu Seorang Ibu yang sangat mencintai anaknya, saking cintanya dia menemui anaknya sekali lagi untuk menyelamatkan hidup anaknya...huhuhuhu...mengharukan.

Bercerita mengenai Charley 'Chick' Benetto dan Ibunya Pauline 'Posey' Benetto. Ayahnya yang tidak berta
Arif Zulkifli
Aug 30, 2015 Arif Zulkifli rated it it was amazing
The feels...
All those feels...

T.T
Jenny
Dec 05, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
“She put one hand on mine. “When someone is in your heart, they’re never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.”

I loved this book!
Mery
Jan 13, 2013 Mery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
"Menyia-nyiakan waktu itu sungguh memalukan. Kita selalu berpikir kita punya terlalu banyak waktu."

Hidup begitu berharga. Aku tak memiliki seorang pun yang bisa membujukku keluar dari keputusasaan, dan itu sebuah kesalahan. Kau perlu memiliki orang di dekatmu. Kau perlu memberi mereka jalan masuk ke hatimu.

Tapi selalu ada cerita di balik semuanya. Bagaimana sebuah lukisan bisa tergantung di dinding. Bagaimana sebuah luka membekas di wajahmu. Kadang ceritanya sederhana, dan kadang keras dan mengh
Salymar
Nov 03, 2012 Salymar rated it it was amazing
A child can never choose between his/her mom and dad. In fact, a child can have both.
A child can never be complete without the love and care of his/her mother and the guidance of his/her father.

This is a one-of-a-kind novel that reminds us how precious the little time we all have and how more valuable time with our family is much more important. Cherish the moments before they're gone.

The story started with Chick Benetto's struggles with his wife and daughter about 8 years after his mother, Paul
Jade
Apr 05, 2008 Jade rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jade by: my mom
This book will touch your heart and make you think. You should always charise everyday that you have with a loved one.
Liyana Zaher
touching, boring, tragic
Miss Ravi
Nov 04, 2014 Miss Ravi rated it really liked it
Shelves: رمان
دو بار این کتاب رو خوندم و هر دو بار اونقدری گریه کردم که نتونستم ادامه بدم. گاهی فکر میکنیم تنها کتابهایی احساسات ما رو برانگیخته میکنند که قسمتی از تجربههای زیستهی ما رو دوباره برامون زنده کنند، در حالی که اغلب اوقات کتابهایی احساسات ما رو تحریک میکنند که بخشی از وجودمون که تمایل به تجربهای مثل تجربههای شخصیت کتاب داره، به قلیان میافته. قسمتی از وجودمون که میخواد مثل راوی کتاب باشه اما نشده و نتونسته که بشه. نتونسته توی اون موقعیت قرار بگیره.

عشق مادرانه شاید یه موضوع کلیشهای باشه اما تصویر کر
Diana
Mar 19, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing
It was our graduation practice yesterday and we had nothing to do so I decided to borrow a book from my classmate. I immediately started reading the book when he handed it to me.

One thing I realized from this book is how a mother's love can be the purest form of love there is. I realized that no matter how you feel that you are often misunderstood by your mom, she is the person who, of all persons, can understand you no matter what happens.

I also learned about the sacrifices that they make just
Mago0
Dec 12, 2013 Mago0 rated it it was amazing

I finished this book on my mother's 56th birthday, with a burst into tears,and I'm like running to her, hug her and told her that I love her. Charley's story are almost same like mine. Almost same. We had one great mom that their Principe is, what's the matter? I'm a mother. This is the books that made me wet the eyes in th train, this is the book that made me felt the purest love of mother. This is the book, that made me realize every times my mom stand up for me back then and I didn't do the s
Janie Johnson
Jan 15, 2015 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I was not quite sure at first about this book since this was the first time Author for me. But it did not take long for the words to absorb into my mind. Made me start to rethink things that I have been struggling with.

I gotta say I was so disappointed in Charley as if I knew him. I could not understand how he could respect his Father, who ran out on him, so much more than his Mother, the one who saw to his well being, struggled and fought and worked hard so he would be taken care of, attend col
Tsaki
Feb 20, 2016 Tsaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belinya udah lama, bacanya baru sekarang. Agak nyesel baru dibaca yah... Hmpft! :'(
Natha
Feb 13, 2012 Natha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apa rasanya saat hidupmu begitu berantakan, keluargamu meninggalkanmu, anakmu malu mengakuimu dan kamu tidak punya apapun selain minuman keras? Itulah yang terjadi pada Charley Benetto.

Saat kanak, Charley ditanya oleh sang ayah, "Anak mama atau anak papa, tapi tidak bisa keduanya." Dan Charley memilih "anak papa". Ini membuat Charley selalu berusaha memenuhi harapan-harapan yang ayahnya tuntut dari dirinya. Ia berusaha menyenangkan sang ayah dan mengabaikan ibunya.
Namun ketika ia beranjak rema
  • Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin
  • Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • The Letter (The Christmas Box, #3)
  • The Best of This Is A Crazy Planets
  • Three Weeks With My Brother
  • Letters to Sam: A Grandfather's Lessons on Love, Loss, and the Gifts of Life
  • Morrie: In His Own Words
  • Totto-chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World  (Anak-Anak Totto-chan: Perjalanan Kemanusiaan untuk Anak-Anak Dunia)
  • Noli Me Tángere
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • Life is an Open Secret: You, Me and We
  • Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering
  • Vince's Life
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.
More about Mitch Albom...

“When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.” 2457 likes
“Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back.” 2396 likes