Start by marking “Night Corridor” as Want to Read:
Night Corridor
Read Excerpt

Night Corridor

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  47 reviews

At 17, Caroline Hill was torn from the boy she loved by her tyranical father. Then she lost her child. Finally, her grasp on reality.

Now, after nine years in Bayshore mental institution, once called the lunatic asylum, Caroline Hill is finally being released.

There will be no one to meet her. Her parents who brought her here...are de
Published March 24th 2011 by BWLPP (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Night Corridor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Corridor

This book could have been very good if it had ever seen the polishing effects of editing. This felt like I was reading a rough draft. There were several thousand words that could have been cut because they were unnecessary (like Gloria's reaction when she answered the phone and it was her ex-husband -- it added nothing to the story to tell me every emotion that went through this "extra" character).

I did feel like I should have known who the bad guy was simply because nothing was ever said about
I realize this was a free book on my Kindle so I can't complain too much, but I have to say that the amount of errors in this book took it from 3 stars down to 2. It was insane!! I'm not talking about a couple of errors here and there, I'm talking about 2-3 per paragraph! Missing words, incomplete sentences, repeated words, completely wrong words. It took me out of the story every single time.

That being said, the story was decent. The characters were well thought out and the "asylum" aspect were
Let me get this out of the way first... the grammatical errors in this book are like none I've ever seen. I don't know how that happens. If 1 person proof read this book, most of them would be corrected. It was unreal.

With that said, this book caught me by surprise. I don't believe all the characters were developed to their full potential and I did find some of the brutality to a bit amateur but that's okay because the suspense just built up and built up to a gripping climax.

This psychological
Barbara Brink
Night Corridor was a slow-building suspense story that reminded me of an Alfred Hitchcock tale. Ms. Hovey reveals her characters a bit at a time, showing their strengths and weaknesses and what makes them tick. She does a good job with pace and putting suspicion on multiple players and did a wonderful job describing the mental hospital at the beginning and the main character's mixed feelings of excitement and dread at leaving it. I enjoyed Night Corridor very much and would recommend it to lover ...more
An average thriller about a woman who is recently released from a psychiatric facility and some of the compications that go along with that. Oh, she's also being stalked.

There were plenty of grammatical mistakes which are easier to still decipher the meaning if the reader is a fluent English speaker. This book really dropped a star when I noticed the author didn't know the difference between then and than. They're not the same word and therefore cannot be used interchangeably.

I did read through
Lynda Kelly
I only made it 27% in and had to pack it up. This is the fifth book I've read by this author and in my other reviews I often complained about grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. This one sadly takes the biscuit, though, and I wasn't prepared to carry on. Such a shame as she writes really interesting stories but ALL her books are let down by a chronic lack of proper editing.
Things such as flow which should be floe and this which replaced his. Helen Reddy was spelt as Ready too. Just totally
All I have to say is "Who the f**k is this woman's editor"???? This is NUTS! I have never seen more grammatical, AND factual errors in a book before! This is the second book of hers that I have read, and I thought the grammatical errors in the other book were just a formatting fluke with the Kindle. Apparently NOT! The very first words at the top of the first chapter say, "October 1973", yet within a few chapters, the mention John Lennon as "the murdered musician", and later on in the book, they ...more
Scott Collins
I don't remember spotting a lot of the errors mentioned in the other reviews, though I don't tend to focus on that as much as some people do. Also, it's been about a month since I actually read it, so I may have just forgotten. I did enjoy the writing. I thought the story line was fairly original and she did keep me guessing the whole time as to who the killer was. I was slightly disappointed in the ending, though I didn't dock stars for that, just a note. Decent read. I won't complain as it was ...more
After spending 9 years in a mental institution, 27 year old Caroline Hill is released and moves to a boarding house. Adjustments are many and then the realization of being stalked occurs. A page turner, quick enjoyable mystery (with several victims), it was free on my Kindle and I did enjoy it.
Joan Young
The heroine of Night Corridor, Caroline, is a young woman who has suffered such mental trauma that she's experienced a breakdown and has been hospitalized. Upon her release, she is faced with a new terror, a threat in her own neighborhood that may be targeting her. Not only is the plot believable, but as a person who has a friend very much like Caroline. I know that the ways Caroline talks to herself to bolster her confidence, and her reactions to things people say and do are right on target. Th ...more
A good little thriller. Didn't figure out who the killer was until it was revealed, which was nice. Good pace. Liked it a lot.
John Hanson
The only thing that impressed me was the sense of story. The structure of a decent thriller is there, but the rest isn't. There are spelling errors, grammar errors, an overabundance of copulas and filtering verbs, logic errors, the writing is weak and uninteresting with very little sense of tension. On page 163 she makes the mistake of using the killer's real name instead of his self-assumed nickname, a faux-pas beyond imagination. This is a first draft that should not have been published, and i ...more
Mila Komarnisky
Another excellent novel by Joan Hall Hovey

I read the novel "Night Corridor" by Joan Hall Hovey with a great satisfaction. As her previous award winning novels, "Night Corridor" is a psychological mystery with skillfully developed major and minor characters. From the sinister beginning to the heated climax, the novel engages the reader's mind into an adventurous journey from the first pages to the very end.

Caroline, the main character who was released from the mental hospital, adjusts her life t
A young woman becomes pregnant at 17 and her parents force her to give up the baby. She has a breakdown afterwards and spends the next eight years institutionalized. Finally, the mental hospital is closing down and she is discharged. Her parents have long since passed away and she moves into a boarding house and her first job as dishwasher in a local cafe. Unfortunately the town in which she lives (the one she came from) is also the 'home' to a man who is killing women who resemble her. To say m ...more
Stephen Ring
My first Joan Hall Hovey and she is a good mystery writer. I was kept guessing throughtout between two potential suspect, and was wrong on both counts! Definitely a light read
Sally Malkowski
A poignant read about a young woman released from a mental facility after many youthful years, and her journey to adjust to society. Because those who interact with her on a regular basis know her history, her success ratio suffers many challenges, including abduction by another former inmate. This is a prime example of how a determined individual is able to put the past behind her by using the tools given her by professionals to rebuild her life. Not suggested for those who experience mental il ...more
Sally Beaudean
Night Corridor is about a young woman who has spent nine years in a mental institution where she had been living since she was a teenager. I found the story of her recovery and transition to life outside the institution to be heartwarming. The woman's new life is threatened by the intrusion of a serial killer. This aspect of the story is perhaps too predictable. Nevertheless, I would recommend this book to a reader that enjoys a quick read.
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads. I really did enjoy this book despite the many errors mentioned in previous reviews. Especially liked Caroline, the main character, and the way she developed after leaving the mental institution where she'd been for nine years. Then the next to the last sentence almost ruined it for me. A 10-11 year old reading Clan of the Cave Bear? Really?
This book is a very good read if you can get past all of the errors. It had transposed words, misspelled words, words that were missing altogether, and some interesting sentence structures. It must not have been edited at all. But with that said, it was an interesting and suspenseful tale that lets you really get to know and feel for the main character. Definitely worth reading.
Night corridor

Very good mystery. Had me going there for awhile. I have not read Joan hall hockey books. This is my first and I just might have to try another.
A woman leaves a psychiatric hospital after nine years and has to learn to live on her own. A serial killer is on the loose killing women. As the woman learns how to adjust to the world at large, someone stalks her . . .

The book is pretty good. Some of the info I found to be extraneous, but the story overall is intriguing.
Julie Powell
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and especially liked Caroline, fragile, maybe, but strong too when needed. I liked the way the characters developed by way of how they thought and felt - great details /good writing. I never give spoilers so will just say - highly recommended.
The Amazon Kindle version had a lot of editing problems. This is a major distraction and took away from being engrossed in the book. The plot line was drawn out and almost juvenile in its construction. Maybe YA fiction? Not a bad story but needs help.
This was a pretty predictable book; however, the plot seemed interesting (which is why I downloaded this free ebook). There's not much else to say other than I just found a lot I spelling errors, more than I have ever seen in a book.
TNae Wilcox
I thought this book was written very nicely, despite the grammar errors (since I downloaded for free I didn't mind much). I thought the pacing was just right and the last paragraph of the chapter always kept me wanting more.
Julie Baker
I really enjoyed this. I think I figured the bad guy out a couple of times but the author did a great job of throwing me off the trail each time I was certain. I loved Caroline. Such a sweet and endearing character.
I should probably give up on free e-books. It takes me a while to read something these days, so it would probably be worth it to actually spend money on something I can savor and enjoy. Anyway, this was alright.
Caroline's history of mental illness and hospitalization makes her an unusual and intriguing protagonist and makes this story more suspenseful.
Gregg Matthews
This seems to be a good story but a lot of work getting through it. Not what I was expecting. I would not recommend this book to a friend.
Terrible. I should have abandoned this one. So many awful typos and simple grammar errors...even I couldn't take it.
  • Subculture
  • Wrecker
  • The Only Witness
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Someone's Watching
  • Progeny
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • North Slope