Start by marking “The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5)

The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen 0.5)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  2,027 ratings  ·  312 reviews
Every cemetery has a story. Every grave, its secrets. Enter the world of Amanda Stevens's Graveyard Queen series--where forbidden passion and secrets from the past are as restless as the ghosts--in the series prequel novella, The Abandoned.

There are rules for dealing with ghosts. Too bad Ree Hutchins doesn't know them.

When her favorite patient at a private mental hospital
Published April 1st 2011 by MIRA (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Abandoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abandoned

Rane

Ree Hutchins psychology student is trying to balance her life and that of her studies, when she loses one of her patient's to seeming old age. When she stumbles upon a deeper plot of blackmail and hauntings. With the help of ghost hunter Hayden Priest, they both discover a dark secret someone wants to be kept buried....

Thank you Ms.Stevens for scaring the crap out of me. I loved every bit of it!
The Abandoned gives you a taste of what's in store for the The Graveyard Queen series, with the sp
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A story reflecting the consequences of opening yourself up to ghosts.

Opening Sentence: Ree Hutchins was dozing at the old woman’s bedside, a dog-eared copy of The Call of the Wild open on her lap, when Violet Tisdale passed away.

The Review:

In the past, I have been very harsh with novellas claiming to be prequel’s when the truth of that statement is in question. Yes, The Abandoned, is a prequel. It does introduce major characters in the main
Nancy
Let us just say that it is a good thing I had read book number two - or is it book number one if you do not count the prequel, I always get confused when authors do this - or I would have never continued with this series.

The Abandoned comes across more of an outline for a book then an actually novel, with no real catch or lure.

Ree Hutchins is a graduate student working in a psychiatric hospital on the evening of the death of Violet Tisdal, one of their longest residing patients. Ree is curious
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I have some mixed feelings about this story. First, let me say that I loved The Restorer and I was very excited when I found out that this prequel was available. The events take place shortly before Amelia is hired to restore the old cemetery. But she isn't the main character here. This story centers on Ree, a graduate student who is interning at a psychiatric hospital. When an old patient named Violet dies, Ree is unexpectedly drawn in to the bizarre and haunting circumstances of her life and t ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
A prequel to the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens. It was interesting for what it what. Because it was short there wasn't much time spent developing the characters or the romance. Basically, it just laid some ground work for the upcoming series.
Samantha
I felt as the author gave me a piece of the puzzle but I don't know what the picture is suppose to be. I like the story but I have a few questions. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. This author has a way of sucking me into her stories.
Laura the Highland Hussy
I started reading The Restorer and got immediately hooked by the writing. About 40 pages in I realized that there was a prequel, and whaddayaknow, it was on my nook! hooray!

So I put The Restorer on hold and zipped through The Abandoned...or, I thought I would zip through it. It's so well-written and enticing. I read it as quickly as I could. For a prequel, I like how it stands alone. It's written in third person, but the rest of the series is in first person pov, so it's a nice change.

Ree is vo
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Grade: C or 3 Stars

A mildly entertaining novella about a vengeful ghost, buried secrets, and a psychiatric ward. It has a light romance. This story reminded me a little of an 80's film titled "A Ghost Story" although "The Abandoned" is not scary, unless you find cold drafts, foggy windows , and the feeling of being watched as a source of horror.

Ree Hutchins, a university student and mental hospital volunteer, loses an elderly patient. She overhears an ominous conversation between the head pschi
Keri
This is a free prequel to the Queen of the Graveyard series. Amelia Gray is a graveyard restorer who just happens to have the handy ability to see dead people. However, the prequel is about Ree and a conversation that she shouldn't have overheard about a lady that Ree just watched die. Now Ree is stuck between a mad ghost and a demented killer. Luckily she meets Hayden, who by day is a lawyer and by night he is a "ghost hunter". Even though this is a short story, I thought that Ms Stevens did a ...more
Dominika
I couldn't stop reading this one :) It's sexy, fast-paced, the story is good and I really liked the mystery :) Made me want to read the whole series.. Also, my second first time this week :P I always read books in pdf, but never a real e-book using a suitable program, so I really had no idea that it can work so well. Might actually give the whole e-book thing a go, seeing how my books have taken over my tiny tiny apartment...
I ended up reading this after the 1st book. What a fantastic teaser to get you to pick up the series. I loved meeting the characters we will be getting to know more intimatley in The Restorer. This one didn't hold the creep factor The Restorer does, but it was definatley a thrilling ride. I am officially an Amanda Stevens fangirl.
AH
Kobo Free download 4/12/11

This was different. It was like a ghost story, but better. Spooky, eerie, suspenseful, with just a touch of romance.

I'm looking forward to reading The Restorer.
Melanie Frenette
I know it was just a prequel. But I'm not sure if it was good enough to make me want to read the next book. I may or may not read it.

I find it slightly annoying that the word 'shuddered' seems to appear at least once every second or third page ... Maybe I'm weird?
willaful
Unpolished, unsubtle writing with meh action sequences. Not sure I will want to continue the series.

The Kindle edition has a lot of formatting errors and seems to be missing a few paragraphs.
SheLove2Read
I didn't get much out of this, certainly not enough to make me want to continue the series. It felt more like a draft that an actual story.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: Available Now!
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: http://www.amandastevens.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com (free as of April 12, 2011)
Part of a Series: Yes. Book 0.5 in the Graveyard Queen Series (Prequel to the forthcoming novel, The Restorer)
Steam Level: Warm

So a short while ago, you may remember me fangirling all over Amanda Stevens’ forthcoming novel, The Restorer, sche
Mara
There’s magic all around us. You just can’t see it.

I read this novella in preparation for the first book in the series, The Restorer, only to find out that the titular Graveyard Queen merely has a cameo here. Oh, well. For what it's worth, I liked this little intro, despite its obvious shortcomings, especially this passage:
“There’s a Chinese legend about hungry ghosts. Entities that devour human emotions. Spirits whose sole purpose is to sustain themselves in our realm by feeding on our warmth
Karissa
I read, The Restorer, the first book in The Graveyard Queen series and really loved it. So I picked up this prequel freebie. While the story is good, it doesn't represent the series very well. In fact the story doesn't even follow Amelia Grey, but a side character named Ree.

Ree works at a mental hospital. When one of her patients dies she overhears some shadey secrets. Then Ree finds herself sleeping walking strange places and thinks maybe a ghost is involved. Now she has to figure out what the
An
Cons: Amanda Stevens doesn't mind a cliche or three in her writing, The romance managed to be sort of engaging, and yet still lame. The other things I planned to mention actually fall under cliche, so I can't stress that enough. Nothing in the writing made me suspect that this was a published (other than self published) author until end blurb for the series that this story promotes.

Pros: I kept reading! Whatever its faults, this little ghost story kept me wanting to find out what happens next. I
Carolyn F.
Jan 14, 2012 Carolyn F. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carolyn F. by: Darcy
Ree volunteers at Emerson College in the psyche ward as part of her Masters' program. One of the patients Violet dies and when she's delivering the patient's file to the head doctor she hears something she shouldn't have. She's also being followed by a ghost which she keeping telling herself is just her imagination. She sleepwalks or is taken over by the ghost and awakes in a small college graveyard after she kissed a total stranger and took off her shirt. Hayden's looking for signs of ghosts an ...more
Rebecca
For such a short story The Abandoned is packed with so much. There is mystery, action, romance and suspense which, makes it incredibly awesome. The Abandoned is a novella that starts before the first book in the series, The Restorer.
I really enjoyed reading The Abandoned, it had creepiness and ghosts. There was mystery and I just had to know what was going on.
I liked Ree, and I liked Hayden. I thought they were really interesting characters. There were some points that I was really hoping that t
Amanda
I originally downloaded this book at the request of Kelly. And by request, of course, I mean that she gave me a link and said, "This is free, download it and read it." And because I always do what Kelly tells me to, that's exactly what I did.

As I'm not familiar with the Graveyard Queen series (nor Amanda Stevens), I can't speak to how well this sets up the series, especially since the MC briefly makes an appearance in The Abandoned. However, I think it was an interesting look into the Graveyard
AngelLeah
I loved this prequel and I can't wait to start the series.
This story is not told from the main character's point of view (Amelia). It is the story of a female master's student, working at a psychiatric hospital part-time. She gets herself tangled up in a cover-up and she can't help but investigate it, especially with a ghost pushing her to get revenge.
It was very suspenseful and I found myself getting goose bumps during some of the ghost scenes.

This was a quick read and I'm looking forward to
Irene
This novella was an easy, interesting read for me. Haven't read the series so I don't know how much is relevant in setting it up.

I do wish however that the novella included a conversation where Ree verbalized some sort of question to Hayden relating to (view spoiler). We're left to speculate about (view spoiler) I don't know if we get more information in the series late
K.R. Bankston
I downloaded this after a great synopsis, and while I won't say I was disappointed, I will say I expected more. The plot was decent enough, but lacked real depth for me. There was far too much of the romantic aspect (my fault for not knowing Amanda was a romance author) and even the action scenes, fell flat in my book. I MIGHT read another of her offerings, but probably not right away. All in all, it held my attention and was a decent read.
Sarai
Please do not judge this series by this book. Read The Restorer first and if you can skip this one. This book is good but it is nothing like the first one. I really enjoyed Amanda Grey this one I just couldn't connect with anyone. That being said I still enjoyed it as a fast quick read but by far not my favorite.

That being said I have already ordered the next in the series b/c I LOVED The Restorer so much!
Scott Collins
My biggest problem with this book was that it just seemed too short. I liked the plot and characters and was left wanting more. Having just read some of the other reviews, it has come to my attention that this is a prequel to a series. I'll have to go take a look at the other books in the series. Maybe those will be a bit (longer) more to my taste. :)
Delisa
Um. Are there pages missing to this? I downloaded it free from Kindle and it was a horrible book -sketchy plotline, no real depth to the characters and no development. I read it in less than an hour. I really am wondering if something was missing here...
Michelle
Great intro novella! This is just a taste of what is to come in the series and I am hooked already. Great character development, great plot, and excellent goose bump inducing paranormal activity---what more could you want?
Swanbender2001
I enjoyed this prequel to the Graveyard Queen series but might not have if I hadn't read The Restrorer and gotten so much information about Amelia Gray and what she was about and the Oak Grove cemetry, etc.
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Ashes
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Ghostly Awakening
  • Heart of the Sea: An Others Bonus Story (The Others, #10.5)
  • A Secret in Salem
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #1.5)
  • The Hunters
  • Baby, I'm Yours (Southern Roads, #0.5)
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Fresh Blood
  • A Hint of Rapture
Amanda Stevens was born and raised in the foothills of the Ozarks, an area known for its folklore and superstition. She learned from an early age to fear black cats, ladders, and broken mirrors. A risk taker, she now resides with all three. She is also the mother of twins, a wannabe taphophile, and a collector of all things Alfred Hitchcock. When she’s not writing from her home in Houston, she lik ...more
More about Amanda Stevens...
The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2) The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) The Devil's Footprints The Whispering Room