Hour of the Beast

Hour of the Beast

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The nightmare begins on a lonely country road when young bride Elaine Stern suffers "a fate worse than death" at the hands of a werewolf. Nine months later, the traumatized woman gives birth to a pair of fraternal twins. One, Jason, is frail, bespectacled and timid. The other, Joshua, is aggressive and hairy, with uncanny strength. When the boys are in their teens, they ar...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Outskirts Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hour of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hour of the Beast

Tarrin Lupo
I don't read much horror but I think I will start reading a lot more of this genre if Michael Forsyth writes it. I did not know what to expect but this book did not disappoint. When I heard that this was a book about a werewolf that went to college, I thought it was going to be a cheesy teen wolf like tale. Boy was I wrong! This book comes out unapologetically swinging right from the start. At times this book is brutal, rough and crass but it made the college characters much more believable. I w...more
Joseph Ryncarz
I have finally been able to finish Hour of the Beast. I very much enjoyed the read. The genre is not one I normally read, unless you count Shelley’s Frankenstein. That being said, the story line grasped my attention and kept me engaged throughout. I had it almost completely read before the end of Horrorfind Weekend. I enjoyed the character development. There was no overkill, in my opinion, and gave enough to be able to ‘see’ the characters without detracting from the storyline. I also enjoyed Ca...more
Sheri
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book started off good with an action-filled first chapter where we are introduced to Elaine on her wedding day. After that first chapter we do not see much more of Elaine until the very end of the book. The book centers around her two sons, Jason and Joshua, who are a result of her interactions with a werewolf on her wedding night.

Jason and Joshua are twins who are as different as night and day. Joshua is muscular, athletic, and...more
Mat Nastos
I had a chance to read "Hour of the Beast" by C Michael Forsyth this past week. The book felt a bit like something you'd see at Cinemax over the weekend - a fairly straight forward werewolf story with some sex shoehorned. Not enough sex to be considered a "sexy" or "erotic" horror book, but enough to get a teenage reader excited. The book itself was decent, and it had some character characters in it. My complaints are from the fact that everything was so obviously set up from early in the book.....more
Kelly Knapp
Mar 25, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves campy werewolf stories
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway
Tiffany
Kimberly Bennett
This book was a very captivating version of a werewolf tale. Too much was going on in the story that intrigued me, so I did not focus on the few grammatical & punctuation flaws. The plot had many twists and several engaging characters. It was difficult for me to put the book down before finishing and when I wasn't reading it, I constantly thought about the characters and plot. Bravo Mr. Forsyth! I look forward to reading more of your works in the future!
Jodi Harrington
It was a pretty good book, kept me interested. I enjoyed the twists and turns. I was hoping for a better ending as it left me hanging.... HOWEVER, I just saw that there is going to be s series.... So, it isn't the end and there will be more. That's a good thing - I want to know what happens to Joshua and Cameron (there had to be more). I'm probably going to read this again.
Adventurereader
AHHHHH I found out from the author that there is going to be a series steming from this book :) really excitied. The last 50pgs or so had me turning pgs so fast and my head was spinning. Def ended not how i expected! A great read and can't wait for more.
Picked this up at Chicago Flash Back Horror weekend 2011 :))
Mary Steiner
This is a free book from Goodreads First Reads. I read this book in 2 days-only took me that long because I was reading it at work-don't tell. Super book, great story, loved the characters, hope to read more from this author. Would highly recommend this to anyone who reads supernatural or thrillers. Thank you.
Lori
I just finished reading this, and I thought it was really great! I was really interested in the characters, I thought it had alot of fun humor in it too. And I really love that combination of humor/horror. When I finished reading it, I definitely was hoping for a continuation with a book two.
Shelby
I was blown away by this book. Such a cool take on werewolves. I would highly recommend to anyone who reads paranormal books. I won this book through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway program,"Thank You!"
Lydia Schlais
This was a really strange book. It kept me very interested through out though. It was quite gruesome and scary, but had just as much mystery. I liked that a lot!
I.S. Anderson
Pretty good book.

See the real review on my blog!

Yy
Sep 15, 2011 Yy marked it as to-read
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Hope to read it soon. Thanks.
Silly
Sep 15, 2011 Silly marked it as to-read
I won this book from First Reads. Looks like a good book. Thank you.
Bob Mcqueen
Aug 21, 2012 Bob Mcqueen marked it as to-read
I love werewolves and this one sounds like it delivers a great werewolf story
Brett
I liked it. The last few chapters were really good
Chris Rutherford
Pretty good werewolf story. I enjoyed it. :)
Lisa Pulignani
Very intellectually done. And loved the terror.
Roberto Ivan
Roberto Ivan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Ghost
Ghost added it
Jul 30, 2014
Unsolved Mystery
Unsolved Mystery marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Pallavi Tirkey
Pallavi Tirkey marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Supernatural Fict...: Hour of the Beast by C. Michael Forsyth 1 6 May 24, 2011 12:21AM
  • Diana's Dreams (Whispers)
  • Willow Vale
  • Morgan's Choice
  • Prepare
  • Love Chosen (The Fae Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Shady Palms
  • Vale of Stars
  • A Laird For Christmas (The Highland Bachelors, #1)
  • A Christmas Hope
  • Dark Persuasion
  • Soulrazor (Blood Skies, #3)
  • Knight of Hearts (A McKnight Romance, #2)
  • House of Immortal Pleasures
  • Redwood Pack, Vol. 2 (Redwood Pack, #3-3.5)
  • Black and Orange
  • Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales
  • A Taste of Fire #1
  • Life Drawing For Beginners
C. Michael Forsyth's 2011 first novel Hour of the Beast was hailed by Horror Fiction Review as a “fast-paced, rip-snorting, action-packed, sexy college romp.” He is also the author of The Blood of Titans and The Identity Thief.

Forsyth is a Yale graduate with an MFA from NYU. For 10 year he was senior writer for Weekly World News, the outrageous satirical tabloid. Those stories can be found in a co...more
More about C. Michael Forsyth...
The Identity Thief The Blood of Titans Sir Arthur Conan Doyle & Harry Houdini in The Adventure of the Spook House