Start by marking “Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)

Airborne (Airborne Saga #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,200 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Avery knew she had a knack for attracting trouble, but even she is shocked when a six-foot-something harpie shows up on her doorstep. Coping with the existence of a mythological race? Okay. Unwittingly finding herself in the middle of a vicious harpie conflict? A little less okay. Having to rely on an arrogant harpie boy who gets under her skin? Now that is something Avery ...more
Nook, 316 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Constance Sharper (first published March 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Airborne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Airborne

Rane
Nov 29, 2011 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Indie books have it harder in the grand scheme of book publishing as they have to rely much on the reader reviews and the work they publish and how good it is without having the help of editors or big name publisher backing them up. But when you find that beautiful gem of a self pub you feel like your holding that winning ticket in your hand and with Airborne by Constance Sharper- I felt like I won the lotto baby!

I was truly in awed by how great the whole story was, the action was nonstop with
Rachel
Jun 18, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm guessing this is a self-published novel. The writing was horribly awkward and forced, and barely a (Kindle) page went by without a serious editing error (e.g. past instead of passed, ceased instead of seized, not to mention the sense that the author lacks even a basic understanding of when to use a comma). Overall, it read like something a 7th grader would write (and get a B- on, due to all the grammar and punctuation errors).

The only reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 is that the story i
Bonnie
May 16, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, z-2012

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Storyline
Avery is on summer break visiting her brother in California when she discovers a mysterious shell on the beach. As she picks it up she’s shocked by a sudden pain and when she drops it the shell shatters into dust. Where the shell touched her hand a dark bruise takes its place and starts to spread. Once she returns to boarding school, a harpie named Mason shows up on her doorstep demanding she return the shell. She eventually shows
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Emilee the Hipster Kitty Kat
Nov 03, 2011 Emilee the Hipster Kitty Kat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I-I don't know, why are you asking me so many questions? JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
Recommended to Emilee the Hipster Kitty Kat by: A talking unicorn with pink eye who tried to eat my birdhouses.
Rating: 1.5 stars

I made it to page 78 (in the Nook edition, which has 158 pages) before I honestly couldn't take it any more.

It wasn't as though it bad. Well, it was bad, just not, you know, Evermore bad *shudder*. It was just sooooooo draining. How? I don't know. It wasn't slow or anything... honestly this book just confuses me.

You know what? I think I'll use this review to sort out my bambozzled mind. And to do that, I must go back to were it all began...

The begining. Or as I like to cal
Amber
Jun 26, 2011 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ebook-own
Airborne was a book of it's very own. I really haven't read anything really like it. I have seen great reviews on said book, however, it did nothing for me. This was a book that won't leave you with a lasting impression or one that lingers in your thoughts weeks down the road.

Positives:
*The cover is beautiful

Negatives:
*Harpies (unique) but I have a hard time finding a bird-like man very sexy...sorry. Seriously! Those talon like fingers!!! I'd run and hide!!

*I am really over the whole Ithinkilik
Courtney Wyant
I honestly fell in love with this book. I love the characters and the plot. I cant pick a favorite character but I can say I will be buying the sequel when ever it comes out. I wish i could give more than a 5 star rating. I will be honest I just bought this book because it was only 1.99 but it was worth 10 dollars if you asked me. I love this book.
Kim (Sliced Open Reviews)
I have fallen head over heels for this series! I have had both Airborne and Grounded on my Nook since January and never got around to having time to get into both of them and this weekend was a perfect opportunity! And, I would like to add, I am almost GLAD I waited, because as soon as I finished book one I had to jump right into book two, so it’s good that I waited until I could stay up for hours on end to finish!

Airborne follows Avery returning to her school in Alaska after a summer with her b
Naomi
Jul 27, 2011 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has the making of being great. This book is different from the litter of YA novels that have been coming out lately, especially since it adds a new creature into the mix, Harpies. The story is very unique and nothing short of imaginative. I love all the action within this book, and all the twists and turns this novel takes.

Avery is a normal teen thrown into the vicious world of Harpies when magic passes from an amulet into her. This is something no one has ever seen before in the worl
Chernyse
Oct 10, 2011 Chernyse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrible-reads, own
First impression when I got the book:
I hate the font of the front and back cover, a lot. It looked unprofessional.

First impression when I read the blurb:
Wow, this sounds pretty good. I like the change of supernatural creatures, and harpies are definitely something that has not been written about, except maybe in the House of Night series by P.C. Cast.

The Review:
This book was surprised me. The blurb sounded like it had so much potential. I did not have high expectations for this book, I just tr
Heather
Sep 21, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Airborne by Constance Sharper was a huge surprise for me. I didn't know how I would like the story revolving around harpies but I was pleasantly satisfied where the plot line went. I've never read about harpies before and I was excited to read about something new and different.

Sharper took an unusual topic and made it great. The characters were believable and likeable especially Mason and Avery. The romantic attraction was awesome as well because it wasn't "love at first sight" like in most sto
Celeste
Sarah Castillo
Aug 23, 2011 Sarah Castillo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, fiction
I would call Airborne, a self-published novel by Constance Sharper, a young-adult urban fantasy. It's about a high school girl who finds herself in the midst of a war between supernatural creatures.

At this point you're probably thinking, I've read this book. When I picked it up and started it I thought the same thing. This is not the same book. For one thing, the locality is much different. We start in Alaska, an unforgiving and to most of us, alien landscape. This might not be true for people w
ILoveBooks
Apr 12, 2011 ILoveBooks rated it it was amazing

Avery will capture the readers' attention. She is funny, somewhat abrasive, caring, and intelligent. The setting is in Alaska, a very different setting that a reader is not likely to find in many, if any, other books. The setting sets the scene for a pervading sense of danger, the reader will feel a sense of urgency while reading.

Then there are the harpies. Harpies are creatures, male and female, who are not friendly to humans and are quick to anger. Avery encounters her first harpy, Mason, whe
Caity
Jul 04, 2011 Caity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca A. Rogers
I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never read, or ever heard about, a book concerning harpies. Constance brings a new creature to the paranormal/mythological table, and she isn’t afraid to throw you in with them. Airborne is a fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat supernatural thriller with a lot of action and a budding romance.

Avery is thrust into the world of harpies after she cuts her hand on what she thought was a seashell. As it turns out, the “seashell” wasn’t a seashell at all; it was an amulet fro
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Airborne was diffrent compared to all the other books with vampires, werewolve, and angels. This book was about harpies, I mean how often do you get to read about harpies? The answer is never. The storyline was amazing, it was fast-paced and action packed. There was a combination of everything that makes up a good story. There was mystery, romance, suspense and did I mention action. Honestly I couldnt put it down, I tried hard to pace myself but failed (-__-). I couldnt stop, I was so submerged ...more
Tess
Apr 13, 2011 Tess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I usually avoid self-published books because(and lets admit it) they can be horrible. But I decided to give this one a try because of a friend recommendation. Since I was shocked about how good it was, I gave it a five. I could see it in any bookstore.
The writing, pacing, and story line were good. There were some missing commas here and there but I never struggled to understand anything. Less romance than I expected though and I wanted to see the classic story book ending! I read the s
Sandra
Mar 31, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ivy
Jul 20, 2011 Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Airborne by Constance Sharper is a surprising and entertaining novel about Harpies and humans!

I have never heard about Harpies before nor have I ever encountered anything with Harpies. I was primarily interested in this novel because I have never heard of Harpies and was deeply interested to learn more about who they were.

Avery is your typical average girl/human. On vacation, she discovers an amulet, but when she picked it up, it dissolved and the magic contained in the amulet is now within her.
Rachel
Devon Ashley
This is the first book I've ever read with harpies and I was pleasantly surprised where Constance Sharper took the story. The characters were engaging, the romantic attraction between characters wasn't love at first sight but built slowly through the story and the harpy civilization was believable.

Avery was just your average girl hanging out on the beach when the simple act of picking up a stone threw her into the world of the harpies. When she broke the stone, the magic within seeped into the
Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire
sooo.. it ended up as a DNF. I might still slog through, and maybe it'll get better, but as of right now I'm about half way, and I couldn't care less. I honestly don't even remember enough details to right the best review, and I put it down about a week ago.

Avery is in a word... annoying. Whiny, childish, somewhat sympathetic I guess? I felt a little sorry for her? I couldn't bring myself to care at all what would happen to her, but I could feel for her crappy situation, maybe a little? Same goe
Cindy (eclecticfirefly)
May 15, 2011 Cindy (eclecticfirefly) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-won
This debut novel takes a risk and includes a rare paranormal character - harpies.

According to the dictionary, a harpy is: "A rapacious monster described as having a woman's head and body and a bird's wings and claws or depicted as a bird of prey with a woman's face." In her novel, harpies come in both male and female. They are bad-tempered beings, quick to anger and intolerant of humans. The vast majority of humans have no idea that harpies even exist.

Avery attends The Mayweather Academy, a boa
Marsha
May 12, 2011 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults and Adults
"Airborne" is a great story about Harpies living among humans off the coast of California. Avery attends boarding school in Alaska. However, this past summer she visited her brother in California. On the fourth of July she discovers an unusual shell on the beach and when she picks it up, she receives a minor cut (or so she thinks).

Upon returning to school for her senior year, Avery finds things have not changed. She is still an outcast but her best friend awaits her. Her best friend is also dati
Karry
Jun 04, 2011 Karry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s got quite an eloquent writing style which is nice and something you don’t see often anymore. Let me tell you, I’m so sick of “he did this, she did that, she felt like this…” books. The author has at least taken one writing class and can form more than simple sentences unlike most of the YA genre. Now, maybe it’s not for the younger audience at a higher level of reading but the story does involve a high school girl and is very much a young adult tale. The gist is this. Seventeen year old Ave ...more
Farrah
LOVED IT! This book was unique and totally amazing. It has everything: action, a hot hero, a tough heroine, and tons of sexual tension (seriously, the entire book I was on the edge of my seat yelling "get together already!")The fact that Airborne uses harpies makes it an anomaly; new mythological creatures that I now adore (well, maybe some of them; some of them I hated)

The only problem I had was that the plot was jumpy. One thing would happen and before I had time to process, the plot jerked so
Hmr28
Jul 03, 2011 Hmr28 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better editing would have helped this book immensely (for both content and copy). The number one question I wanted to ask through the whole book was....why the heck was she in an Alaskan private school, living on campus???? Where were her parents when she took off? Where was the concern from family and school friends??? This book had so many what the heck moments it drove me nuts. There were many typos, grammatical errors and obvious spell check errors. The idea was interesting but nothing flesh ...more
JD
Jul 24, 2011 JD rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I was expecting more. I bought this off of Amazon and thought the idea of using 'harpies' was unique and interesting. However, the book did absolutely nothing for me. It took me a long time to finish which for me isn't a great sign. I didn't get drawn in by the female lead in any way and I only like the male lead a little. It's not a horrible book by any means but still not something I would ever read again or tell my friends about. Sorry :(
Heather
I found Airborne a fun light read. I have never read a book about harpies before and found the harpie mythology to be very interesting. I enjoyed Mason’s humor the most and admired Avery’s bravery. The story line really sucked me in from the very beginning. This is a well written book and I was able to feel the tension and humor in different situations. I look forward to reading the second book to see where the author takes Mason and Avery’s relationship to.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 14, 2015 11:17AM
  • Stay (Callie Rose #1)
  • Abithica
  • Sleight (AVRA-K #1)
  • Bloodspell (The Cruentus Curse, #1)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)
  • Ember (Ember, #1)
  • Watched (Mikayla Blake, Demon Hunter, #1)
  • The Twin Prophecies: Rebirth
  • Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)
  • Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, #2)
  • Haven (The Willows, #1)
  • Radiant Desire (Handmaid’s Seduction, #1)
  • Silver Moon (Silver Moon, #1)
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
Constance Sharper juggles following her writing passion with completing her doctorate degree. She's been a lover of urban fantasy and young adult books, and published The Airborne Saga as her first series. She continues to write multiple books in the same and similar genres. She currently lives with her beagle and wishes a Starbucks would open up nearby.

Details of her whereabouts are best found a
More about Constance Sharper...

Airborne Saga (3 books)
  • Grounded (The Airborne Saga, #2)
  • Windswept (The Airborne Saga, #3)

“White angel wings, made up from thousands of short feathers, now surrounded him.

"Uh. Bird?" She pointed dumbly, unable to form a single coherent though more.
"Harpie." He gave her a glare that could have killed.”
3 likes