Start by marking “The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)

The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Living in swanky LA, via the barrio, Angel Vargas is happy with his life. Great job, great boss, and he can keep an eye on his mom. The one thorn in his side is major league pitcher Brandon Halvorsen, The Great Dane. The stuffy, stick-in-the-mud straight guy is one of his boss' best clients, and the guy annoys the hell out of Angel.

Huge changes are happening in Brandon's
Published May 11th 2011 by Torquere Press (first published May 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble With Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble With Angel

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
154th out of 503 books — 996 voters
Force of Law by Jez MorrowSigned and Sealed by B.A. StretkeA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesHis Convenient Husband by J.L. LangleyA Change of Tune by J.M. Cartwright
"Harlequin" mm romance
7th out of 35 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Katharina
After a quick reread, I have to downgrade this. I'm sorry, but... no. There were parts that were definitely okay and some even entertaining. But I'm still feeling personally offended by how Angel gets and lets himself be treated. Argh. Aside from a completely unbelievable story line, Brandon is just such an incredible ASSHAT I wanted to use his head as a bowling ball. Dude.

Original review:

2.5-3

I read The Trouble With Angel right after Brainy and the Beast (which I really enjoyed, by the way) and
Ami
A couple of reviews I read (prior to reading this book) said that the story didn't exactly win for the "depth" or "idea" of making the kids live with someone completely not related to the family. I agree with that. This story wins for it being fun and light and OMG the men with kids!!! What can I say, I'm a sucker for stories that involve kids and pets. This story has both (though the pets came later) and it just makes me darn happy.

Angel is high-maintenance and has a temper, but at the same tim
Ayanna
This. This is zany and out there and I like it.

The chapter breaks are terrible.

Angel seems rather...ADHD/Bi-polar at time *cough cough* most of the time.
He is such a queen it's not even funny.

I didn't even mind the sex.
That is, not until it got to the rimming part. And then I kind of sat and thought about what problems I had. I think it's cuz of the small measure of mysophobia I got going on. In the end, it's still an asshole and it's still where the shit is expelled from your body. Now, I don'
Mandi
I loved this book! Angel and Brandon were smokin' hot together and add in the kids...just loved it. :) I enjoyed CeCe (from 'Change of Tune') being Angel's boss and the mention of Johnny Rayne. I just wished he had a cameo!

Highly recommended. :)
Tam
May 15, 2011 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I struggled between a 3.5 and a 4 rating, but I stayed up on a work-night until 2 AM finishing it, so obviously despite some very personal issues I had, the quality of the book I think is 4 stars.

Angel has fought his way out of East LA. He's now a fashionista who works for an entertainment agent. When his boss has other commitments she sends him to help out client Brandon, a pro baseball player. Angel has always found Brandon attractive, but Brandon comes across as arrogant and aloof and straig
Karen K
**4.5 stars**
I'm a sucker for men with kids but I think I would have liked this regardless. Angel is a hoot - I love his clothes addiction and his wise-ass, sarcastic remarks. He's totally strong on the outside but soft and mushy on the inside.

Brandon was a little hard to figure out at first and I have to admit there are still some things I'm curious about with regards to him, such as what happened to his baseball career and why wasn't he playing when all this was going on. I might have just mis
SueM
The Trouble With Angel follows a similar theme as found in Cartwright's A Change of Tune and A Change of Scenery.

Brandon, a professional baseball player and single, has become the legal guardian of his late friend Sandy's two orphaned grandchildren, Trey and Marisa. Concerned about meeting these two children for the first time, he asks his agent CeCe (also Johnny's agent in Change in Tune) for help. However, he ends up with the volatile Angel (an employee of CeCe) when she is unable, at short n
Murmurella
First of - Lilia, thank you so much for letting me borrow this book! Unfortunately, I don't think I can finish it :( The way Brandon forced Angel into relationship, and with kids, too(!) is not right.

Brandon and Cece-the-madam are driving poor Angel (and me equally) insane and for many reasons.

(view spoiler)
Edina Rose
Angel was a bit of a chick-with-dick character. The roles were a bit "heterosexualised", with Dane as the man and Angel playing the role of the woman. A silly woman.
But strangely, though I cringed a lot, I also laughed a lot. Angel was so excessive, his behaviour was so outrageous that I could not help but like him. I kept thinking: is he real? Well, I know he is not, it is fiction, but you know the feeling. His outrageousness and funny comments made me think of some Ethan Day characters.
And on
Librarian Kate
I loved this...I can totally appreciate "complex and powerful" stories with redemption of deeply flawed characters, but you know? sometimes it's just really great to read a sweet story with endearing characters who happen to live in a nice suburb of Over the Rainbow. (no pun intended)

This is absolutely going in my "Happy Days" folder for when I need a reliable pick-me-up, either from a crappy day or as mental/emotional "Tums" for apres-angst reading. (you know, after one of those Redemption Thr
Rossy
May 21, 2011 Rossy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gay parents/sugary romance fans
This story had my inner romantic sap, twirling around in glee. I honestly don't think this book will be for everyone. I would recommend reading it when in the mood for a sugary-sweet romance. The kids are a very nice and funny addition, that left me very satisfied.

Review to come soon!
Crispy
Grrr! A "gay" version of Green Acres, is my best guess as to the point of this horrible nonsense. I'll leave you to work out which character in the book was Eva Gabor and which was Arnold the talking pig.
Leaundra
I loved it! I loved both Brandon and Angel and the kids were great also. This was a getting to know each other and becoming a family story.
Bookwatcher
The Pros and Cons of this book, IMO

Let me start with The Pros
[image error]

First the kids! I love both! Marisa broken my heart to many times! Such CUTE girl! And Trey trying so hard to be the big tough brother to Marisa! Love them!!!!

Brandon is a little manipulative, but I like him too! A LOT! A baseball player in the closet, and trying very hard to give Marisa and Trey a good house, and a chance to be happy again.

The story is original, and I liked it. I think it was the first story with a ba
Fi Brit
Anke
I enjoyed this story very much. It was perhaps a bit too easy, the way Angel went with the development, but - hey, it's romance and I was in the right mood:). The kids were cute and believable, especially Trey with his difficulties to adjust to the new situation. This was one of the books, where I thought the Epilogue was unnecessary.
Chris
Very good m/m romance about a pro baseball player who suddenly has two kids to take care of, so he shanghais his agent's assistant into helping him with the kids.
Paris
Somehow I couldn't believe in the story, and therefore I struggled with the book. The MCs did nothing to improve my interest in the book, too.
Charming
Pretty entertaining in a suspend your disbelief of the "pretend relationship" variety. No sports at all though.
Phaney
2014 Re-read:

Ah, this was so much better than I remembered. And I did not remember it as bad to begin with.
Maybe part of it is the relief in reading something that’s solidly written and characterized again after such a long detour into… okay I won’t be mean about that. But it sure felt nice to read an actual romance again, one that took time to develop and despite its beginnings did not actually focus on sex too much.

In comparison to the other books I’ve read by this author, maybe I particularly
Tara
It seems I am at the beginning of a trifecta of similar books. We'll see I suppose.

In this one an executive assistant at a talent agency, Angel has worked very hard to hide his past and Brandon, a professional baseball player, has been hiding who he really is from the world. Now thrown together in highly sensitive circumstances, these two might find out they have a a spark.

This story was almost great, but ended up falling flat. We joined the story too late to maybe they started their story too
Lilia Ford
This book has become a definite favorite, one of those feel-good stories that I can turn to when I desperately need to be cheered up. It's a pretty simple story with no bad guys, no stupid, easily avoided misunderstandings or unnecessary conflicts. Yeah there cute kids and puppies, but I found it sweet without crossing the line into sugary.

Basically, I just loved the whole set-up. I have a weakness for stories about creating a family, which is an ongoing theme of Cartwright's, and one of the re
Spectro Chick
The premise of this was very Harlequinesque, so I should have been warned. But I frequently like Harlequin! So I gave it a go.

It started out great, I liked the MCs, the ST, the kids etc.

But it descended into a morass of stereotypes and cliches, it squeezed these guys into a heteronormative formula, with outrageous gender stereotypes for the two kids. And then there was the "fire cracker" Latino. Gah
Eileen
What a wonderful story of Angel and Brandon making a family together out of a tragic situation. I love Brandon's honest approach of taking those children as their guardian, not having all the answers, but doing what is right for them. He made those kids his first priority and treated them with respect. That touched me. Angel made me laugh throughout the story. He was adorable! They were building something together but it took some time before Angel would admit it to himself let alone Brandon. In ...more
Kathleen
This was one of those "chick with a brick" stories with kids and puppies thrown in. Not my cuppa but not badly written. 1.5 stars rounded up.
Arthur
I liked reading this book. Angel is really an interesting character. The two kids are good too, with depth. (view spoiler) ...more
Jane A
I donno if I like this book a lot or just like it. I kind of expected it to involve more around sports, but was disappointed to find that the only thing involving sports was Brandon's title. He didn't even play catch with Trey. I did however like it for the plot. It was nice to read a bout a family that suddenly came together and had to make the best of it in a whole different environment. There could've been more conflicts going on, like the children have more difficulties adapting. Everything ...more
Makhda
I love me enemies-to-lovers trope.
I can't help it. XD
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
4 1/2 stars!

This book is about good people. There isn’t a lot of angst or silliness like snipers trying to pick one of them off. One character who at first appears to be a bigot turns into one of their best friends. It’s just a nice book about two men falling in love and raising a family. And what can be more pleasant to read than that? I enjoyed this book very much. I am quickly working my way through Ms Cartwright’s backlist because I simply love her style of writing, the characters she develo
MandyM
3.5 stars. Fun, over-the-top story of a flamboyant city executive who is roped into helping a sport star care for his two young wards. The is the third book I've read by J.M. Cartwright and I'm noticing a distinct similarity between her characters. However since I'm a fan of the opposites attract theme I'm happy to go along for the ride. The story is superficial and while Angel's character is appealing, I found Brandon to be more of a cardboard cutout. This is a book that will be enjoyed more fo ...more
  • The Manny
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated, #1)
  • Deefur Dog (Deefur, #1)
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)
  • Last First Kiss (Southern Comfort #1)
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)
  • With The Band
  • Irresistible (Something in Common, #4)
  • We Danced
  • By The Numbers
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Sidelined (Southern Scrimmage #2)
  • Out in the Field
  • Steamroller
  • Love at First Sight (Home #4)
JM Cartwright is the alter ego of a polished professional who works all the time. Well, maybe not all the time... but paying the mortgage and buying dog food keep JM pretty busy.

JM dreams of the Appalachians and someday sitting on the veranda overlooking 100 acres of paradise.
More about J.M. Cartwright...

Baseball (2 books)
  • On The Ball
A Change of Tune (Change #1) Brainy and the Beast A Change of Scenery (Change, #2) A Change of Pace (Change #3) Appearing Knightly