Start by marking “The Girl” as Want to Read:
The Girl

The Girl

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Her name was Hannah Boyle, but to the people of the village she would always be “The Girl” – Matthew Thornton’s bastard.

Savagely treated by Matthew’s wife, Anne, she fled for protection to the devil-may-care horse-dealer, Ned Ridley, who had earlier befriended her. But, as the waif grew to beautiful womanhood, she became an object of desire to the local young men, and even...more
Published March 24th 2011 by Peach Publishing (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl

Velvetink
4 stars for the movie. Drama set in North East England in the 1860s about Hannah Boyle, an illegitimate girl who is taken in by her father to be raised with his other children, much to the horror of his wife.With Jonathan Cake (Actor), and a strong female lead by Siobhan Flynn (Actor).
Amy Louise
Love Catherine Cookson books :) One of my Favourite Catherine Cookson's. Amazing characters and such a brilliant story. 5/5 + Ned <3
Tara Chevrestt
As my title states, the heroine of this novel, Hannah, doesn't hold a candle to Cookson's previous heroine, Tilly Trotter, but it was a good story anyways. Hannah is introduced to a man named Matthew at the age of eight and told that he is her father. Immediately after being handed into his care, much to his wife's dismay, Hannah's biological mother dies. Hannah then proceeds to grow up in a household fraught with tension and hate.. mostly coming from her stepmother and one sibling. Thankfully,...more
In mid-19th century Yorkshire, Hannah Boyle is left with the family of Matthew Thornton, the man her dying mother claims fathered her. Ill-treated by Thornton's bitter and vindictive wife Anne, who views Hannah only as evidence of her husband's infidelity, she is married off to the village butcher, whose waspish mother torments her further. But through her patience, intelligence and strength, she wins her freedom and the man she loves.

A movie was made based on this book and it is available at Yo...more
Vicky
Watched the ITV mini-series when I was about 13 and loved it. The book is good and a fairly easy read. Ned Ridley is yummy!
Elodie
Fabulous read and four stars all the way.
Maudie
Quick, interesting and downright enjoyable read...a read aloud treat with hubby back in the waning days of January when the ice still covered our sidewalks and there was no place to escape the cold except in the pages of a warm book.
Becky Villareal
This is a wonderful drama about life in England in the 1900's. Would highly recommend.
Christina Dudley
Historical fiction set in 1850s+ about an illegitimate child left to a family in the north of England. Evil, religiously-hypocritical (now there's a character we haven't seen before!) foster mother, diamond-in-the-rough fella, gorgeous and kindly heroine with whom everyone is in love, and so on. Read Part One. Skimmed Part Two. Flipped through Part Three. Didn't care about Part Four.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Kate
I absolutely love this book. It has become one of my favourites. Highly recommended, I just couldn't put it down! The ending felt a little rushed though, I felt more could happen and was surprised the ending seemed so abrupt and simple after all the drama over the preceding pages.
Louise Mary Moore
I first watched the film to this book and its an all time favourite of mine. The books are always better then the film and i was so surprised to read the ending. I couldnt believe it. I wish they had extended the film to show this. The Girl is an all time re-read for me.
Janet Richards
I was obsessed with this book in high school - I must of read it 5 or more times. I really want to get my hands on it now 30+ years later and see what the big deal was.

I'm now about 1/3 through and I it's all coming back - the drama and sadness, and eventual triumph.
Pat
Classic Cookson. I've been revisiting some of the older authors and time hasn't diminished her mastery of the historical/romance genre. I still love her books. They are consistenly well written and engrossing.
Joanna
I read this book and watched the TV mini series about 20 years ago and loved it. Re read it and still do. Typical CC and a cosy read.
Hayley
Keeps you on the edge of your seat never turns out what you think but still work out for the best
Donna
I like this writer. Her books reflect her memories of growing up in England in the late 1800's.
Linda
When her mother dies, a girl goes to live with the father she's never met.
Carmen
Compulsively readable making alive the end of the last century.
Helen
I read this book while staying with my grandma, aged 8!!
Hafiza
Grim saga.
E book format on Open Library
Lisa
Couldn't put it down! Loved this main character.
Raquel
una de mis novelas favoritas.
Janet Randon
Once again really enjoyed this book.
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Ms. Beak In A Book
Ms. Beak In A Book marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)
  • The Sun and the Moon (Wexford Family #2) (Lords of Conquest #2)
  • The House at Old Vine (House, #2)
  • Ship of Dreams
  • Cherokee Storm
  • Foxfire
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Broken Wing
  • Answer as a Man
  • Safe Harbor
  • The Warrior's Touch
  • Change of Heart
  • Bonded In Brazil
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Random Winds
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • Sign of the Raven
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
The Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Glass Virgin The Mallen Streak The Black Velvet Gown

“The Girl was gone, buried in the past. She never wanted to hear that name again. She was a woman for better for worse. Whatever the future might bring she could face it as a woman, Ned Ridley's woman.” 6 likes
“You make your son out to be to be almost an idiot; well let me tell you something, Mrs Loan, if he were a complete idiot, drooling at the mouth, he'd still be a better person then you.” 1 likes