Start by marking “Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic” as Want to Read:
Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic

Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  43 reviews
"Iceberg, Right Ahead!"

Only 160 minutes passed between the time a sailor on lookout duty uttered these chilling words and the moment when the mighty ocean liner Titanic totally disappeared into the cold, dark waters of the North Atlantic. This century-old tragedy, which took more than 1,500 lives, still captivates people in the twenty-first century.

Seventy-three years sep
Library, 112 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Twenty First Century Books

To ask other readers questions about Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic

Brigida
A vivid but tragic retelling of the Titanic. There are photos provided in almost every page of the book of the ship itself, the damage, and of the heroes whose legacies still live on. This book also provides a detailed aftermath and of the survivors trying to cope and move on with their lives. A very tragic end to such a great ship, but the Titanic will never be forgotten along with the people that went down with it.

Intended Grade Level: 4th- 8th
Lana Krumwiede
Fascinating! I learned a lot about the Titanic tragedy and the discovery of the wreckage. This book pulls it all together. I loved the design and layout of the book. But my favorite part of this book was the stories of the individual passengers. Absolutely mesmerizing.
Heidi
This book is fabulously done. It is definitely going on my shelf of favorites. Not only is the writing crisp and easy to read, but the whole design is beautifully done. The photographs, illustrations, and sidebars are placed so that they add to the overall design but don't interrupt the flow of the narrative. This is the sort of nonfiction that would work really well as a read-a-loud. One of the things I especially appreciated were the sidebars explaining some of the things we are still learning ...more
Jim Erekson
This book is highly browsable, with each header providing a self-contained 'story' about a person or an aspect of the ship's story. While organized in chronological sections, anyone who already knows the order of the story won't be thrown off by browsing around. It was good to see the contemporary photos, illustrations, and diagrams from the time of the sinking, but just as interesting to see some of the underwater photos and museum exhibit pieces.

Overall, I find the staying power of this story
Suzanne
Icebeg, Right Ahead! by Stephanie Sammartino McPherson was an interesting book. I did not see the movie Titanic, and I have read little about the ship, until now.

What I liked: the photos of the Titanic and its passengers were wonderful and made me feel as if I was there. I appreciated its before, during and after organization so I got a really full view: from its conception and construction to its sinking,location, and salvage exhibitions. The inclusion of art and artists who painted about the a
Tara Anderson
April 15, 2012 is the one hundredth anniversary of the night the Titanic sank in an ice field in the Atlantic. On that fateful night, more than 1,500 people lost their lives in the icy waters after the ship went down. Using photographs, artifacts, and personal accounts from survivors, McPherson takes readers through the complete history of the Titanic. She covers the building of the great ship, its maiden voyage, the sinking, the official inquiry of the incident, the effects on safety regulation ...more
Mary Kate
A short read at just over 100 photo-enhanced pages, Iceberg, Right Ahead! is an excellent account of the Titanic, from its conception through the 1985 discovery of its North Atlantic resting place. Author Stephanie Sammartino McPherson has done a stellar job of laying out the story, humanizing the facts with personal accounts and conveying the horror and tragedy of the great ship’s sinking – and all in a straightforward, highly readable manner. Even though much of the story of the sinking was fa ...more
Karen Ball
April 2012 will mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, one of the greatest ocean disasters of all time. This first class collection of Titanic information opens with the moment the iceberg was sighted in the starry darkness, and how that led to the terrifying rapid sinking. Details of the disaster from passengers of all classes, the rescue ship Carpathia, and the arrival in New York of the survivors make this a gripping read. McPherson includes a section about how steamship tr ...more
Karen

Author Stephanie Sammartino McPherson has written a fact filled account of the tragedy that was Titanic. Just about 100 pages in length, she easily shares accounts, photos, sketches and enough information about what happened after the survivors returned home, to engage a reader of any age. Iceberg, Right Ahead is directed at a YA audience and I think that's such a fabulous thing! There are many lessons to be learned and McPherson touches on the most important, that actions matter and lives and
Kendra
With the 100 year anniversary mark of the Titanic's sinking this spring, this book will fill a need for any collection. In reading Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic, the reader learns about how the Titanic was built, the details of its launch, the events of the night she sank, and the ultimate discovery of her wreckage on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The author also discusses the controversy over the salvage of items from the ship as well as new theories on why she sank. I re ...more
Becky
What an amazing book! I received a digital ARC of it from NetGalley, and though it was absolutely gorgeous on my computer, I can't wait for the opportunity to be able to page through the actual book. It's the story of the Titanic disaster--before, during, and after--but it's also a collection of stories of people, companies, and even objects associated with the ship. My son was crazy about the Titanic when he was younger, so I've read countless books about it to and with him as well as watching ...more
Kristina
Iceberg, Right Ahead discusses the terrible events surrounding the 1912 Titanic disaster. It also includes a lot of information about the ship itself and the people that were involved. There are photos on every page which also made it a lot more interesting.

At 100 pages, it is a very easy read and I think Titanic enthusiasts, as well as younger people who are first learning about the Titanic will really enjoy this book. It is very educational and I learned a lot of things that I didn’t know abou
Steph
Iceberg, right ahead! recounts the terrible event of the Titanic sinking in 1912. It provides lots of information about the Titanic as a ship itself, through to the people aboard, including some passengers such as, Frank Browne's personal story.

I thoroughly enjoyed Iceberg, Right Ahead! I loved the old black and white images used! The Titanic is a piece of history that will be remembered forever. I've read a few books on the Titanic but this one is the best.

It was very interesting to know about
Kathleen Behrendt
This book was fascinating. With the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking this year,we saw a great influx of books about the topic. This book is one of the best. The author goes into great detail of how the ship was built, the fatal mistakes that were made during consruction, the action of the crew and passengers on that night, and the consequences. The pictures accompanying the text are remarkable. The author was able to put a very human face on the victims and survivors. The book's bibliogr ...more
Elizabeth B
This book serves as a wonderful introduction to the tragedy of the Titanic. Many people may already know the information contained in the book but for those just beginning to look into the tragedy, this book would be a fabulous method to get started. Due to its short length, it does not go into great detail of any of the facts but, instead, provides enough information to garner interest in learning more and prompting further research. An excellent addition for school libraries and public librari ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
McPherson tells the story of the Titanic, from its construction in Ireland to its sinking in the Atlantic, the controversy afterword, and the discovery of the wreck underwater by Robert Ballard and his crew many years later. She does a good job of summarizing the story and putting a human face on the tragedy. I've read a lot about the Titanic, but I learned something I didn't know before from this book (about Frank Browne, the last person to take photos of the Titanic). This book would be an exc ...more
Marissa Garcia
Find yourself IN Titanic herself as readers are given a wealth of detail about the doomed ship that is often omitted from other book for young people on the topic, like her construction and what happened to the survivors in the lifeboats and after.

This fine work does not give young readers a sterilized version of the Titanic, but instead issues a great deal of faith and trust to them, presenting dense, rich information.

This book is ideal for Titanic or disaster enthusiasts, children needing qu
Marissa Garcia

This book is ideal for Titanic or disaster enthusiasts, children needing qu
Alicia
A great pairing with a fiction book like The Watch That Ends the Night about the sinking of the Titanic and the discoveries that were made after the sinking using scientific technologies. The book really begins quickly as the Titanic is being built and it's competition, the hype that built when these mega ships were sailing, and then the aftermath.

The text boxes, illustrations, pictures, and sidebars are well-placed and well-purposed for the nonfiction story to shape it and understand the mishap
Amy
This book blew me away! As a young child insterested in the Titanic story, I've read countless Titanic stories. However, this one will definitely stick with me. I loved the numerous eyewitness accounts, the photos (some I've never seen before), the inset boxes with more on-board stories of passengers, survivors, the ship's crew, etc. This books is definitely a must-read for Titanic enthusiasts or history buffs. Would recommend for 4th grade (high reading level) and up.
Hayley
Exemplary nonfiction for upper elementary/lower middle school grades. Well-written with plenty of photos, drawings etc. Straightforward linear narrative from the building of the Titanic to current times, including new theories about how/why the Titanic sank. Excellent source notes and further resources page. There's going to be a glut of Titanic books next year for the 100th anniversary of its sinking, but this one will be hard to beat as an introduction.
Angelica
Very informational fact book on the Titanic which sank in 1912. Very detailed accounts of survivors stories. Also what happened before the Titanic sank, to what the aftermath of the tragedy did to many survivors. Filled with amazing pictures of artifacts and photos of actual people aboard the ship this book would peak the interest of a child who wanted to learn about this subject.

Great for boys or girls ages 7 to 12

Great for grades 3rd to 8th
Ashley
For as long as I can remember I have always been obsessed with the story of the Titanic. I've seen most of the movies and documentaries on this amazing ship and the stories. So to have seen this on Netgalley and been given the chance to read it. I was amazing for me. I learned things I did not know about the Titanic. Anyone who is a history buff on all things Titanic should pick this up in November. I loved it!!
Leigh
Excellent look at the history and tragedy of the Titanic sinking as well as current information about the Titanic. Not too long in the future, the Titanic will rust out completely and vanish. Excellent books like this help keep the Titanic interesting to new generations of readers. Lots of photos, interesting writing and best of all, an eye catching cover make this a very good book indeed.
Katherine
Working in a middle school library gives me a chance to review many books written for young adults. This is an excellent account of the Titanic and its voyage. Included are personal testimonies, pictures and a timeline of events. There are also chapters including life after the disaster, and positive outcomes from the disaster. This is an worthwhile addition for school libraries.
Briony
This is a great book for the young person who has become a titanic fanatic and wants to learn everything about it. McPherson outlines the book from the conception of the Titanic to present day knowledge about the deterioration of the ship. The language and writing is smooth and non-cumbersome and will easily translate to children and young adults.
Infinite Reader
For a while I used to be obsessed with everything Titanic. During that time I read this book as soon as I got my hands on it.
I was in third grade at the time and it was the perfect book for me. It is written in a picture book format packed with so much detailed information and many pictures that turned the book into one of my new favorites.
Samantha
The best part of this book was the beautifully illustrated cover. The facts were just the norm, I knew pretty much everything it said... lacked any really interesting information. But, the pictures were great so I'll give it four stars. If you are a big Titanic fan, and well educated in the history of it... I don't recommend this read.
Lisa
I loved how this book brought to life the people on board. It tells the story of people we know, like Molly Brown and Captain Edward John Smith, but it also reveals the story of other less-known passengers. It shows a lot of the building and architecture of the ship itself. It has great pictures and a great cover.
Edward Sullivan
A thorough, informative chronicle of the Titanic. This book is notable for including chapters on the enquiries into the cirucmstances of the collision and sinking, what became of some of the survivors, exploration of the wreck site, and controversies surrounding the bringing up artifacts for exhibition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A recommended read on the same topic 1 1 Feb 13, 2012 02:49PM
  • Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship
  • Invincible Microbe: Tuberculosis and the Never-Ending Search for a Cure
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Dogs on Duty: Soldiers' Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond
  • Charles Dickens and the Street Children of London
  • A Black Hole Is Not a Hole
Stephanie Sammartino McPherson wrote her first children's story in college. She enjoyed the process so much that she's never stopped writing. A former teacher and freelance newspaper writer, she has written twenty-eight books and numerous magazine stories. She especially enjoys writing about science and the human interest stories behind major discoveries.

Stephanie and her husband, Richard, live i
More about Stephanie Sammartino McPherson...
Ordinary Genius: The Story of Albert Einstein Susan B. Anthony War of the Currents: Thomas Edison vs Nikola Tesla Stephen Hawking (A&E Biography) Rooftop Astronomer: A Story about Maria Mitchell