Start by marking “His Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:
His Lovely Wife

His Lovely Wife

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When tall, blond, and beautiful Ellen Baxter enters the Paris Ritz the day before Princess Diana dies, she's mistaken for her by the paparazzi. The next morning, as Ellen's older, Nobel-laureate husband attends a physics conference, she goes to the site of the fatal crash and finds an uncharacteristic photograph of Diana. Surprised by how deeply the death has affected her, ...more
Published March 20th 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about His Lovely Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Lovely Wife

Greg Bascom
Beautiful Ellen has been married to Lawrence Baxter, a Nobel Prize winning physicist for fifteen years. As the sparks of love fade into distant memories, Ellen wonders if she has become a trophy wife for her famous husband. Their friends seem to think so.

In August 1997, Lawrence and Ellen arrive at the Ritz hotel in Paris where paparazzi briefly mistake Ellen for Princess Diana. While jogging early the following morning, at the site of a recent automobile crash, Ellen happens upon Max Kafka, the
Florinda
I was intrigued by my introduction to this novel as a DearReader.com Fiction Book Club selection earlier this year, which prompted me to buy a copy to finish it. I chose it as my pick for my offline Book Club to read for our September meeting, and we just met to discuss the book on Friday night. By consensus, this isn't going to go on record as one of our favorites.

This is by no means a plot-driven book, so let's call this a synopsis of the premise:

Ellen Baxter is a lost woman. Raised by a widow
Jennifer Gallagher
DNF. This one was too "ladies who lunch, in Paris, with nothing better to do" than fantasize about talking to a dead (may god rest her soul) Princess Diana and try to figure out how to have a clandestine affair with a paparazzi photographer. The entire book takes place in just a few days and the scenes - even the unimportant ones drag on forever. Just not my thing...

Oh, and I must add... This was another of the deeply discounted Borders "going out of business sale" books. And the cover and menti
Maureen O'Connor Saringer
I have to admit I picked this up because I'm a fan of Robert Olen Butler. I thought they were married, and they were, past tense. After I finished the book, I googled Elizabeth Dewberry to find out more about her and was surprised to find that her marriage had ended in such a public way, and that I completely missed all this great gossip several years ago.

Still, I liked this book very much. I'm sure the author would be displeased to find that I bought it for $2.99 on the closeout table, but stil
Amanda
His Lovely Wife started out good
but as I got in the book more it went off on physics tangents and things like that... things I don't understand nor care about. It was interesting to read how the death of Princess Di affected Ellen and why. Also, it was interesting to read Dianas supposed thoughts after her death. I like to reread books but this one I think I'll pass on for a second go around.
Kathryn Reagan
This novel is a feminism trainwreck. I'm bein generous with two stars because there were some parts that were intriguing and I couldn't tear my eyes away (like a trainwreck). And maybe there were a few nice themes in there, but it all just kind of fell apart at the end (like a trainwreck).

Otherwise that's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.
Christy
The story begins when a woman is mistaken for Princess Diana, and then propels with the death of Princess Di. But the real gem of the story is the character study of a woman, a lovely wife, trying to come to grips with who she is and what she stands for. Quite a thoughtful story.
Elisabeth Awamleh
Frankly, I liked the book a bit better after I read about the author's marriages and affairs. The real life context gave the book a bit more meaning.
Started out boring and a little weird... I don't have time to read books that are going to be of borderline interest to me. A quick return to the library.
Rita
felt like I was inside the head of someone with ADD. Self absorbed characters, totally uninteresting. Skimmed thru the last 3/4, to see if it got better.
Rebekkila
Nov 30, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kristin
Very interesting look at the inner life of a woman who is a lovely wife, but feels somewhat lost in the shadow of her successful husband.
Gerilyn
It was like watching a train wreck. I had to finish it because it HAD to get better, right?

It didn't.
Trish
Total crap about Princess Diana haunting a bored, rich trophy wife. Not at all what I was expecting.
Cacay Rivera
i love the story about Princess Diana :) GREAT !
Beth Shields-Szostak
Aug 11, 2011 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed & inscribed by author
Donna
I rather liked it. It was different.
Fanooni4ever
i did not like this book at all.
Katie
3 1/2 stars
Polly
Jul 30, 2007 Polly marked it as to-read
Afpl - SS
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
has also written under the name Elizabeth Dewberry Vaughn
More about Elizabeth Dewberry...
Many Things Have Happened Since He Died Sacrament of Lies Break the Heart of Me Flesh and Blood Heaven and Hell (On Earth): A Divine Comedy