100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Once upon a time, there was an easy roast chicken recipe, handed down by a fashion editor at Glamour magazine to her assistant, who was in search of a dish to prepare for dinner with her boyfriend. She made the chicken. Her boyfriend loved it. He had seconds. And shortly thereafter, he proposed. But that’ s not all: Three more young women at the magazine made the chicken f

Published April 5th 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

Amy
There is something endearingly old-school 50s housewife about this book and the recipes within it. I love that Glamour has differentiated itself from Cosmo even more with their features on weddings, engagement, nesting and now cooking! Though there are many recipes in this book I don't really need a recipe for - like meatloaf, hamburgers, salsa and (really there are people out there who don't know how to make this?) garlic bread - others are ones I will definitely use in the future! Basically I...more
This was actually better than expected. I've long believed that food can influence us and those we cook for, and this book feeds that theory. Most of the recipes are simple, and can be made with ingredients you already have at home. Two things - the food isn't particularly kid-friendly (probably not an issue with most Glamour readers) and I could have done without the long-winded introduction on the power of engagement chicken.

A good book to take out of the library - most people would find at le...more
Erin
I picked this up at the library this morning and flipped through it this afternoon. I love Glamour magazine and the recipes that they feature, but I'm just not impressed with the recipes. I am so glad I didn't buy this cookbook! The names of the recipes are cute. I'm trying the "Make New Friends Cobbler" tonight based on another review, but that's most likely the only one that I'll try. Bottom line: probably best for a 20-something career girl with limited time and not-so-much cooking experience...more
Ashley
Love these fun, witty recipes! Perfect meals for all occasions.
Kristie J.
Cute cookbook with fun-to-read recipe names. I chose several of the recipes to try, including the engagement chicken. I wonder what the engagement chicken does for married girls? :-) I really liked the layout of this cookbook with its pink pages and pink titles, tips, and introductions to the recipes. Normally, I like pictures of the finished recipes in cookbooks (there are none in this one), however with the cute descriptions and nice layout, I never even missed the pictures.
I'm not a big fan of cooking and by relation, cooking books. However, I have made the book's premise recipe before, the "Engagement Chicken" and it's a super easy, simple and delicious meal that every woman should have in her arsenal (whether you're looking to get married or not). The book also contains several easy and delicious sounding recipes as well as more complicated fare for you adventurists.
Heidi
I'm sorry I guess I'll give this two stars for the recipes, but i'll be damned if i'm going to go out of my way to cook a chicken to get a guy to propose (i know I'm already married so apparently my chicken wasn't too terrible) but I'm not going to try to learn to cook a meal to get a man... I yam who i yam... you don't like it"?? a chicken ain't gonna change it... :( step back for women's lib
Meagan
I can't believe that anyone would actually propose to someone after the "engagement" chicken was place in front of them. Honey, I wouldn't even put out if someone put that in front of me.

What the heck are these recipes even for? People who can barely use a microwave? This is embarrassing.
Mandi
Glad I got this book from the library and didn't buy it. The engagement chicken? Um...just lemon roasted chicken. I think my expectations were too high, both on the chicken and book itself. A fun read to flip through, but that's about it. And yes, been married 10 years.
Hannah R.
I was somewhat insulted by this book. It read like something out of the 1950's. The message was "You need a man and a ring to be complete and the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Really? I tried some of the recipes. Most of them were good, but not great.
Danie
I liked this recipe book because there was a variety of recipes, some easy some more challenging, there is something in there for everyone.
I also liked how before each of the recipes there was a little "story".
Lisa Geddes
Great book for someone who is new to home cooking, but the recipes are fairly basic for an experienced home chef. In my opinion every one of them could stand to be "doctored up" or "kicked up a notch".
Amy Pfeiffer
The recipes look great! The names of the recipes are sassy, and I love the idea of making a cookbook for young women who don't know how to cook, and can make amazing dishes.
Melissa
I don't know of this counts as reading a book but it was cute. I loved all the sassy titles of the dishes and the side stories. I'm excited to try some recipes!
Morgan
This book is all about how to "hook a hottie" with your cooking.

It's very sexist.

And the recipes aren't that great.
Hilary
Cute with lots of interesting tips and recipes. Some recipes seem very basic, though. There are vegetarian dishes too.
Heather
click here for a full review: http://www.girlichef.com/2011/05/cook...
Tasha
Despite my various issues with its packaging, I think overall this book has some good tips and recipes.
Sam Zon
Sooo awesome! Well worth the read JUST for the recipe called "Make New Friend Cobbler!" I adore this book!
Amy
There were a few recipes I'd like to make, but most seemed a little "fussy" for a busy mom of 3.
Trish
This book was alright. I just wish that there would have been pictures in the book.
Audrey Grant
Cute book and the recipe's sound good! Can't wait to try some of them!
ReadingWench
Super simple recipe book on basic items.
Mary Kay
Cheeky & charming with good recipes
Janene
Nov 01, 2011 Janene marked it as to-get-and-read  ·  review of another edition
. . . sounds like just my thing . . .
Erin
Some very good and easy recipes.
Felicia
I really enjoyed this book. The recipes are very easy to follow (even for a beginner like me) and I liked the catchy names of the recipes and stories. Reading it, I felt like a group of my friends had just put a bunch of great recipes together for me. It was great. I haven't tried the engagement chicken yet... but I made the I love you pancakes and yum.
Farrell
Farrell is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
This book is horrifying 3 6 Jul 15, 2014 12:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: 100 recipes every woman should know 16 24 Jul 14, 2014 05:24AM
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook
  • What Kings Ate and Wizards Drank
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • I Love Macarons
  • The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • Heating Up the Kitchen: Recipes with Love from Lucky Harbor
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • 500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need
  • Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More (Everything Series)
  • The River Cottage Meat Book
  • Lidia's Family Table: More Than 200 Fabulous Recipes to Enjoy Every Day-With Wonderful Ideas for Variations and Improvisations
  • Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
Glamour's Big Book of Dos and Don'ts Glamour Magazine (April, 2012) Jennifer Lawrence Cover