Start by marking “Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)

Ring of Knives (The Dead Man #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  32 reviews
BOOK #2 in the THE DEAD MAN, the new monthly action/horror series that readers and book critics alike are already hailing as "an epic tale" that compares to the best of Stephen King and Dean Koontz...

Matthew Cahill is an ordinary man leading a simple life until a shocking accident changes everything. Now he can see a nightmarish netherworld that nobody else does. Now for h
Published March 27th 2011 by Createspace (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ring of Knives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring of Knives

Lou
Book 2 at 100 so pages takes us a little deeper in the world of our main protagonists quest. The story has fair share of action and supernatural. When reading book 1 I was hearing similarities to the Gunslinger by King I feel from this part it's more Repairman Jack style by Paul Wilson. The way the story is written It would have been better just to release a novel length saga rather than novella's.
Josh
Compelled by a desire to shed solitude and seek brethren, Matt Cahill is lead to a decrepit mental institution in search of Jesse Weston, a man whose former life experience mirrors Cahill’s. What Cahill’s omnipresent Mr. Dark is to him, the Rotting Man is all encompassing for Weston. More than a mere shadow and quick scare; the Rotting Man is a different kind of evil – one that presents Cahill with a terrifying glimpse into a possible future.

‘The Ring of Knives’ is a sharp story of pure terror w
Nathan Shumate
The second book in the series establishes the pattern: once-dead, now-living man Matt travels around, trying to find answers about his condition and his new ability to see the evil in other people, while being drawn into creepy crap wherever he goes. (Also established in the pattern: there's usually one sex scene, which in this case is a flashback to his dead wife.) In this installment, in search of answers from another person who was listed in a psychology text as having had a similar condition ...more
Tyson Adams
There is a saying in the music industry that the second album is the hardest. You are backing up your first work in the series and the pressure is on to not just come up with new material but to create something better. But what do you do with the band that changes its entire lineup and releases a new album? Well normally you would avoid it like a "Guns 'n' Roses"* Chinese Democracy album.

James Daniels has had the unenviable task of taking on the second installment of the Dead Man series of nove
Jaime
This was an excellent book. Literally breathtaking. Book 2 branches over into the supernatural more than the first one, but it's done in an interesting and believable way...if the idea of walking death can be believable. However, I think in this novel it is, although I'm still uncertain if the main character, Matt Cahill, has figured out yet whether he's good or evil. It's clear from the reader's point of view which one he is.

This story is about a man in search of his own identity. He went throu
Gef
I read and reviewed the first novella in The Dead Man series, Face of Evil, back in March and thoroughly enjoyed it. I basically summed it up as a book version to a strong season premiere of a very promising TV show. So, now that I've read the second book in the series, Ring of Knives, does the series hold onto its momentum, or does it falter?

Matthew Cahill is now a vagabond, following the events of Face of Evil, with an innate sixth sense that allows him to literally see the evil simmering in p
Randy
Matt Cahill is the Dead Man. Caught in an avalanche while on a skiing trip, his frozen body is found three months later and, when it thaws, he's still alive.

And he sees things now that others can't. The evil in people before something bad happens. He also sees Mr. Dark, an obviously monstrous figure.

Matt is headed to an Carthage Mental Health Center to interview a patient named Jesse Weston that he'd read about in a book. He'd been trapped for days alone on a ledge after a companion had been ki
April
RATING: 4.5: THE DEAD MAN: RING OF KNIVES by James Daniels,Lee Goldberg, and William Rabkin is an interesting paranormal novella.This is the second in "The Dead Man series",but can be read as a stand alone. It is fast paced,action paced, a quick read that is full of surprises. Matt is who after being dead for three months,found and is now alive has a secret (gift) although,I am sure he does not call it a gift.For he sees in evil in people as decaying bodies,pus draining sores on their faces and ...more
Katy
Feb 10, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of dark suspense/thrillers, horror
Matt Cahill is living on the road these days, all his possessions in a rucksack except for his grandfather’s ax. He has traveled to a mental health center in Washington state, where there is a man who apparently also sees the strange sores on people’s faces, and the same strange entity, although this patient calls him Rotting Jack. However, things are very much awry at the mental health center – doctors and administrators have been going missing, and the aides seem to be mostly using their work ...more
Chris
Sep 29, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror, Action, Mystery
Ok. Book 1 introduced us to Matt Cahill and Mr. Dark. Book 2 seemingly didn't continue where number 1 left off. Thus, lending more credence to this coming across as a TV series that should be, but only exists in novella form. I wonder if the 3rd book will be the same, or will the Annica character that was a part of this episode continue on. Anyway, this was a much darker story than the last. Thus, this TV show could only be produced for HBO or Showtime to keep it in its true form. Also, it remin ...more
Holly West
This second installment of the Dead Man series is a great start to Matt Cahill's journey in finding out what he is. The first, FACE OF EVIL, was mostly set-up, explaining how Cahill came to be what he is--I really consider the second, RING OF KNIVES, to be the first episode in which we see Cahill in action.

In it, Cahill is on a quest to meet Jesse Weston, a man he suspects is in the same situation as he is, hoping to learn something about himself. But when he arrives at Carthage, the mental inst
Brandon
The second novella in the series did not disappoint, either, although I didn't care for it as much as the first. Daniels kept the story going well, although I enjoyed the writing style of the first much more. The protagonist attempts to find some answers to the mystery surrounding "Mr. Dark." It kind of reminded me of the novel in the Dexter series where the author tries to explain the origins of Dexter's "Dark Passenger." In Dexter's world, that flopped, as no explanation was necessary; in this ...more
Jayme
OK, I'm hooked on this series. After reading the first book of the series, "Face of Evil". I liked the premise but was a little disappointed that there was no action until the last 20% of the book. I was hoping that it was just setting up the rest of the series, AND I WAS RIGHT! Book 2 Ring of Knives was non-stop action. The writing was just as good as the first one but this book was where the action was at. The only reason this book didn't get 5 stars is the length. It (just like the first one) ...more
Pearce
I was pleased to find that the second book in The Dead Man series is a lot better than the first. This time, Matt has to deal with shenanigans at a nightmarish psychiatric institution, when he drops by to visit an inmate who may have the same troubles that he has. James Daniels does a good job of maintaining a tight pace with plenty of gory, disturbing and blackly funny incidents while parceling out clues as to what kind of path Matt might go down if he doesn't keep on top of things.

My reaction
Debbie
I'm completely hooked on this series of shorts. I can easily finish one in a day and want to tear through them all but I'm trying to be restrained and allow myself to enjoy the anticipation of the next story...I should note this is not my normal genre. I haven't read a King or Koontz in years. I fell into the series because James Reasoner is involved and I'm working my way through the 10 books in his Civil War series. The first in The Dead Man series popped up as a "you might be interested in... ...more
Ryne
The second entry in The Dead Man series focuses more on the main character searching for answers and feels largely like a second episode in a television series. Like it's predecessor it's short, I finished them both in approximately 2 hours, but I kind of enjoy the episodic nature of the series since it prevents me from getting bogged down with a long adventure. This is a really cool, original mystery/horror series and if you're not reading yet you should.
James
This is an improvement over the first book, The Dead Man, and I really enjoyed that one. We get a lot more building on the mystery/mythology of Matt's condition. I'm especially interested in the connection between Rotting Jack and Mr. Dark and if they are one and the same. The implementation of the white stag is also another puzzle. I will definitely make sure that I read the third installment.
C.S.
May 16, 2013 C.S. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first one. I thought the first one had a smoother feel to it. It still offered up plenty of violence and horror. Remember if you are reading this series you are reading pulp. LIke a Doc Savage only with gore. Again, the book did enough to keep me satisfied and moving forward to the next installment.
Lenae
Round two: Matt is searching for answers (being dead for three months can make you question a few things) and thinks that he's found a man that can help him. Still a great concept but just like in the first one I have some issues with the transitions....speedbump. If my brain has to stop and think about it too much its hard to get lost.
Lisa
Same review as Book 1, but for heaven's sake, this was a blood bath. Ewww. And what the heck happened to the jack-o'-lantern monster weirdo? I think he might be wandering around my neighborhood.... watch out kiddos.

Joel Goldman
The second installment in this series rocks like the first one. Full disclosure - I'll be writing an installment later this year. Love the outsized world in these books. Action, humor and horror - can't beat it.
Eric
Much better than the disaster that was book one. Even better writing wasn't enough to save the book for me. At this point I am done with the series. I don't get why it gets such high ratings. Feeble at best.
Hazi
I love this series! Granted I'm only 2 books in but so far, so awesome. It has a lot of elements of a great TV show. I recommend this to readers who watch shows like Supernatural and Lost.
Ed Lynn
This is the second book of the series, which is aiming to release a new book every month or so. The books aren't very lengthy, but are a fun summertime read. Looking forward to the next one.
Karen
Not as good as Book 1. Storyline is getting a little too "off-the-wall." The third book will tell if this series is a keeper.
James
I am finding this series intriguing and entertaining. They are short but packed with action - a good quick read.
Ming Siu
Like a good second episode of a TV series, it takes what was set up in the pilot and cranks it up a notch.
Mark
2nd in a series. First one was just fun, mindless, page-turning silliness.
David
Even better than the first one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Face of Evil (The Dead Man, #1)
  • The Blood Mesa (The Dead Man, #5)
  • The Dead Woman (The Dead Man, #4)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • Haunted (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Of Truth and Beasts (Noble Dead, Series 2, #3)
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
  • Killing Mum
  • Old Ghosts
  • Ishmael Toffee
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
I was reader from a really young age. My grandmother let me sleep overnight at her country home in the attic. This also happened to be where she kept her personal library. I was introduced to Stephen King and the methods of his particular brand of marketed madness. I also read Anne Rice before Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.

I have always thought of myself as a writer. I think the litmus test for that i
More about James Daniels...

The Dead Man (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Face of Evil (The Dead Man, #1)
  • Hell In Heaven (The Dead Man, #3)
  • The Dead Woman (The Dead Man, #4)
  • The Blood Mesa (The Dead Man, #5)
  • Kill Them All (The Dead Man, #6)
  • The Beast Within (The Dead Man, #7)
  • Fire and Ice (The Dead Man, #8)
  • Carnival of Death(Dead Man # 9)
  • Freaks Must Die (Dead Man #10)
  • Slaves to Evil(Dead Man # 11)
The Beast Within (The Dead Man, #7) Headhunters