The Next President

The Next President

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  24 reviews
One bullet can change everything...

Who's the cat and who's the mouse?

J.D. Cade was trained to kill by his country. He did his duty and put the past behind him. Or so he thought.

Now someone is using his only son as a pawn to force him to kill again. And this time the target is Franklin Delano Rawley — the first African-American on the verge of becoming the president of the...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Bantam (first published June 6th 2000)

Pierre Sr.
I had a hard time reading this book... Not that it wasn't good, no. On the contrary, I just couldn't let it down! But I had work to do and I kept on reading anyway, so I was behind schedule with what I should have been doing instead of reading The Next President.

I usually do not mention what the book is about, because there are so many other readers that can do that a lot better than I can. I prefer letting others know how my reading experience has been with the book I'm reviewing. So here goes:...more
Suzeesg
First time reading this author and wow, I'm a fan. Every chapter, a new exciting event/twist! Defines "page turner"

Wow, all the threads came together perfectly! Last 50 or so pages, could not stop and was late for work! This one is a true thriller in every sense! I have found a new favorite author, Joseph Flynn
Swagato Barman Roy
An excellent thriller with optimum pace and a mix of romance, personal tragedy, action and climax. Even though some of the actions and motivations make little sense from my perspective, I am happy to ascribe them to the artistic license. Certainly I will look forward to read more from this author.
Nancy Kennedy
Oldie but goodie. It's 2004 and a black man is running for president against the incumbent. There are more assassination attempts than you can count. Kidnappings, blackmail, snipers--action on every page. And by the middle of the book, I finally quit thinking the candidate was Obama!
Elizabeth
Excellent Read

Excellent Read

Very suspenceful.....enjoyed very much! recommend,would be a great vacation book. great read for the beach and to escape to the political world.
Lexie Miller
Great suspense and thriller! First book I read by this author and it was such a treat. From the story line to the characters plus an interesting twist you will have trouble putting this book down!
Linda Branich
Kidnapping, Old Timey Hatfields and McCoys family feuds, blackmail, old army buddies and character assasinations during a Presidential campaign, mixed up with the attempted murder of a black Senator, the candidate pitted against the incumbant President, rogue protective agents and future Presidential appointees make this thriller hard to put down.
Gary M. Burris
Unbelievable plots sort of come together

almost stopped reading this book several times but I stuck it out. wish I had followed my instinct. Do not recommend
Kristina
I will be looking more from this author.
Mike French
Very enjoyable read. First time reading this author, but not my last!
Debbie
very fast paced and keeps your attention with numerous twists, just when you think you have it figured out it takes another turn and the ending is a surprise right up to the last few chapters.
Elaine
This book starts with a bang, and kept my interest throughout. I thought I had a good handle on what was going on, but Mr. Flynn had enough twists and turns in the plot to keep me guessing and intrigued. This is the second of his books I have read, and I am looking forward to sampling more of his work.
Iris
This is an exciting story from the start. The storyline tells of an attempt to assassinate a presidential candidate but with background plots running alongside. A gripping tale which keeps the reader guessing until towards the end. A good read.
Philip Cook
This was a really good book. I enjoyed the way the seperate storylines ran as stand alone stories and simply merged at a few points rather than rolling together. I also liked the suprise ending(s), which normally I don't.
Doug Meyn
Four stars because it was very entertaining and held my interest, but as with some of Mr. Flynn's other works the story line got a bit convoluted, especially near the end. All in all a fun read.
Sandy Bailey
Great thriller with multiple assassins. Kept the pages turning and constantly changing who I thought the real assassin was, plus some really good subplots going at the same time. Loved it!
Kevin
Between 3 and 4stars. Decent plot and kept me reading and intrigued.
Frank Muller
Great beach or vacation book. Fast paced and a bit of a unique story line that you do not typically get in the run of the mill thriller.
Mike Fordice
like 3 stories in one - well intertwined
Bettie
4.8 stars...some editing errors. I do enjoy his books!
Ken
My first book my this author. Really grabs you right away, but ending a little anticlimatic. However, I did take awhile to read, so that may have led to the ending being not so great. But would read more from this author.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
excellent
Tamara Ferguson
Tamara Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Swartzbg
Swartzbg marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda Rusher
Amanda Rusher marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5)
  • Alive and Killing (David Wolf #3)
  • No Cure For Murder (Brier Hospital, #2)
  • InSight
  • The Mystery of Jessica Benson
  • Huntress Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • A Reason to Live (Marty Singer #1)
  • Seven Days of Friday (Women of Greece, #1)
  • Eleven (The Brandon Fisher FBI Series, #1)
  • Betrayed
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • The Endorphin Conspiracy
  • Stone Cold
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Nursery Rhyme Murders Collection
Joseph Flynn has been published both traditionally — Signet Books, Bantam Books and Variance Publishing — and through his own imprint, Stray Dog Press, Inc. Both major media reviews and reader reviews have praised his work. Booklist said, “Flynn is an excellent storyteller.” The Chicago Tribune said, “Flynn [is] a master of high-octane plotting.” The most repeated reader comment is: Write faster,...more
More about Joseph Flynn...
The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1) Round Robin The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill #2) Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1) Tall Man in Ray-Bans (A John Tall Wolf Novel)