Start by marking “Jaden Baker” as Want to Read:
Jaden Baker

Jaden Baker

Jaden Baker is unique, talented, special.

And for a while there, things were looking up. Adopted by an upper-middle class couple of suburbia, Jaden believed he'd finally gotten that second chance everyone raves about. It came with potato salad.

But something happened. Something always happens. The life he'd been living took a dark twist, taking him on a journey that exposed
Published March 16th 2011 by Talons (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jaden Baker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaden Baker

Bekah
Jun 02, 2012 Bekah rated it really liked it
This book was terrifying and heart-wrenching. We meet Jaden Baker when he is a nine year old foster child, scared yet hopeful about his new family. We quickly learn he is not an average child, possessing telekenetic powers that not even he understands. Unfortunately, someone else does.

Jaden is kidnapped, studied and tortured for six years- all described with heart-pounding detail. His courage and will to survive practically leap off the pages. As a young adult he escapes and lives in anonimity..
Brandi
May 01, 2013 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-twisty
A horrifying, gut-wrenching story. Jaden Baker is a remarkable character, I became so emotionally invested in his story - I could not put this book down, even if I wanted too.

Jaden had never had an easy life, but when the Kauffmans became his new foster parents, he started to hope that maybe his luck was changing. We soon discover that Jaden has an extraordinary ability - one that unfortunately makes him a target, in the middle of the night he is taken from the safety of his new home to a resea
A Book Vacation
May 22, 2012 A Book Vacation rated it it was amazing
This novel blew me away. Following Jaden from the tender age of nine, the reader is given an in-depth glimpse into his life as he battles the system and attempts to gain his freedom from those who would use him as a science experiment, caged like an animal and treated horribly. Jaden is psychokinetic; he can manipulate matter with his mind, and though he attempts to hide this power as a child, he is found and taken, against his will, from the comforts of his foster home. This is a very powerful ...more
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
May 02, 2013 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it it was amazing
G&J 4.5 Stars Jointly review for Totallybookedblog.com

Gitte: Seriously, I don’t even know where to start with this review. I kind of just want to tell you all to go pick it up if you like a dark and very emotional read because this one is pure genius. It’s so well written, there are no other words for it….G E N I U S!! Yes I had a couple of issues which is why it is not a 5 Star BUT….

I do have to point out that this is not for sensitive readers, nor can anyone truly prepare for Jaden’s journ
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
May 01, 2013 Gitte TotallyBookedBlog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Jointly Reviewed on: http://totallybookedblog.com/2013/05/...

G&J: 4.5 Stars

Gitte:
Seriously, I don’t even know where to start with this review. I kind of just want to tell you all to go pick it up if you like a dark and very emotional read because this one is pure genius. It’s so well written, there are no other words for it… G E N I U S!! Yes I had a couple of issues which is why it is not a 5 Star BUT….

Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
Well.
Shit...that was rough. Jesus.
Let me just go ahead and say that I would NOT categorize this as a romance. There is a love interest and whatever, but the first 60% of the book is Jaden's past. And it is the most horrible, gut wrenching, soul-crushing past. I just wanted it to end. No, I didn't just want it to end, I wanted him to be free and loved and those who took part in his abduction and torture to be killed in the most gruesome manner possible. Yeah, it was like that.

I enjoyed the writin
Leslye
Feb 07, 2013 Leslye rated it liked it

Books like this are why I read mostly romance and YA these days. The unrelenting horror and depravity in Jordan Baker has given me a stomach ache for hours after I finished reading. If I'd known what it was really about, I never would have read it.

That being said, it's quite good, the drama is gripping and the character of Jaden Baker is one that stays with you. It will leave you emotionally wrung out and wanting to find a small child to give a hug to.

There is a rather large coincidence
Nicole
Sep 28, 2014 Nicole rated it it was ok
Jan
Jaden Baker is a 9 year old foster child who is suddenly captured from his almost adoptive parents and held for 6 years in an underground facility in San Francisco so his psychokinetic behavior can be studied and trained. The first half of the book was heart wrenching and appalling, a wonder the child lived under those circumstances. Jaden escapes and lives unmolested for ten years in Seattle. Books are his solace, comfort and teacher. The story starts to fall apart at this point and a lot was h ...more
Lyndaa
May 02, 2013 Lyndaa rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! A story of Jaden Baker which starts as gifted 9 year old boy kidnapped and imprisoned in an underground training facility. Its sometimes a difficult story to read because of the way he was treated by cold and abusive "scientists". Jaden's instict to survive had me captivated and the fact that despite him being locked away from the world for years and treated so badly, he didn't become the monster he could have been. I couldn't put it down and the ending was everything I'd hoped for!!
Becky
Sep 17, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
This book is not my normal genre, but I couldn't put it down. The only reason I managed to get any sleep is because my nook battery died. The author managed to make the antagonist truly evil and still believable. You get pulled in to the story and just can't stop reading until you find out what happens. Make sure you have plenty of time when you start this book, because you won't want to do anything else until the story is done.
Juliabednar
May 24, 2012 Juliabednar rated it it was amazing
Hooked me from the first page. Haven't done much since I started it. Definitely not a light read, though. Explores what some people are willing to do in the name of "science" and the "greater good" when what they are really doing is stroking their own ego. And just how much someone will endure before they give in to their captors.
Yuki
Apr 13, 2013 Yuki rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, read-2013
I think that I should be pretty mad that I was zombie-style yesterday - I haven't sleep at all, I just HAD to finish it.
Jaden Baker... I wish I could hug you.
4 stars.
Shara
Jun 20, 2012 Shara rated it it was amazing
You can also read my review here: http://thebookendreviews.blogspot.com...

I do not really read a whole lot of paranormal type books. Dark forces, Super natural Creature, the living dead, super human powers... I never seem to be able to get into the books, unless they have something that I can't keep away from.

Jaden Baker is something, someone, I couldn't keep away from.

The novel written by Courtney Kirchoff first introduces us to Jaden Baker at age 25 while in a drug store. He starts bleeding f
Michelle
May 01, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This book is a solid 5 stars.

Never have I hated a character as much as I did Joseph Madrid, in fact hate is not a strong enough word.

Jaden has a special gift, he can move things with his mind. As a child he was kidnapped by an organization called Ashcroft, which was run by Joseph Madrid, who wanted to use his gift for their own ends. He was kept as a prisoner underground and tortured by the sadistic, sick and twisted Madrid. The torture was very hard for me to read because I can't bear any kind
Abby
Jun 09, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this was such an exciting book to read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the reoccurring themes that I noticed in this book was that you are not owned by any human and that you should be free to live your life the way you want to. The Kirchoff showed this message constantly and strongly believes in it.
During one of the many scenes when Jaden is giving up on ever escaping, he's given hope in the form of himself. I think that this shows how Kirchoff believes that patience is and i
Holly Brown
Mar 17, 2014 Holly Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down. Years later, and I'm still recommending it to people!

I read this over two years ago (I know, I've been remiss in reviews) and I STILL recommend it to anyone and everyone. It left that much of an impression with me. Kirchoff's talents abound and manages to successfully hook the reader with the first sentence. It has everything a perfect book needs. Action, an epic protagonist, a villain you despise, a touch of romance, plot twists and plenty more where it all came from. I'm
Ashley
Mar 14, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously different from other books. It is a psychological thriller, which is heavy on the psychological aspect. It is one of those books that you read through as quickly as possible, and then regret going through the book so quickly. This book made me have visceral feelings for the main character and his plight, and then when it all came together, it shocked the heck out of me. I would recommend this book to anyone that loves thrillers and needs a well written story, that is unlik ...more
Kris
This book is difficult for me to rate, it's varies from two to five stars, at some point I seriously was thinking to quit because of so much gut-wrenching situations, my poor heart simply couldn't take anymore, but Jaden's wonderful character was strongly keeping me from abandoning him. My favorite part of this story is when Jaden meets Libby. I wish that we have more time with Libby and Jaden together, for me there was too much Joseph
Maria Lawson
Jun 29, 2012 Maria Lawson rated it really liked it
Fast paced story that kept me interested. Could be a really good movie with the right screenwriter too in a Bourne Identity kind of way. I'm still a bit confused about Seth and I with the author had given some outside observer perspective to his interactions with Jaden. Some of the ways the characters end up being connected was kind of predictable and too tidy for me but overall I really enjoyed the story.
Shelli
Jul 05, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Wow. Brutal, but well-written. I love when an author's style doesn't draw attention to itself, but still draws the reader into the protagonist's world. I was right there with Jaden the whole time.

Made me think, which I love. Lots of language, so I'd hesitate to recommend it. Why do I keep reading books I'm ashamed to recommend??

I know.

The talent.

Dang.
Mark
Jun 16, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirchoff's story is a must read, plain and simple. She's got great characters and a lively plot. I powered through the book in one sitting, and while some of the scenes were a little tough content-wise, Kirchoff handled the telling of them with aplomb and grace. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Kirchoff.
*Jessica
Taking a break...quite a long read!! Since it's taken me 3 days to get to 66%, I've decided to pick up something else and come back this one. So far, it's a very interesting read, totally love Jaden! I just feel like after a few days of reading about the same thing, I want a little change...but I will definitely come back to it!
Estelle (E)
I tried... really really tried. But I find it slow. I'm at 20% and still waiting for the story to pick up. I give up
:-( I'm sure it's a good book but my eyelids feel heavy everytime I try to get back to it.

Maybe another time
Brandi Barnes
Sep 06, 2012 Brandi Barnes rated it it was amazing

I just cannot find words worthy to describe this book. Just read it. Wow.
Keri Mcgowan
Jun 25, 2013 Keri Mcgowan rated it really liked it
I wanted to give 5 stars I really did, but for me some of the torture scenes were dragged out and I think by that point we all got the message but, hey it was still a fantastic read.
Elizabeth
Apr 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good if you like sci-fi/magical realism! Well written, plausible plot line, interesting characters with good development.
Bobbie
Jan 28, 2014 Bobbie rated it it was amazing
So far so good. i'm at 60% on my kindle and its up and down right now/Just finished and all I can say is WOW!! Awesome book!
Candice Ellis
Jun 21, 2012 Candice Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book! There were a lot of twist and turns.
Carrie
Jun 18, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I don't think I have words to express how much I enjoyed this book. It was such an emotional journey from start to finish.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 2  (Fallocaust, #3)
  • Moonlight, Tiger, and Smoke
  • The Red King
  • If I Lay Here (Blurring the Lines, #3)
  • Devon's Gamble (Wolves' Heat #2)
  • The Archers of Kynthos
  • The Wolf Inside (Little Wild Animal Universe, #2)
  • Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)
  • Song of the Navigator
  • Violence Begets...
  • Sunblood
  • Tyrian's Mist
  • Blood Red
  • Heat
  • The Captain's Pet (Alien Slave Masters #1)
  • Pain and . . . pain?
  • Kraken
  • A Brush of Wings
My book is open on the kitchen counter, falling pray to stray grease flecks, water droplets, and the occasional sprinkle of salt. Which is to say that, when I’m not teaching monks how to use their iPhones, or saving baby slugs from the high pitch noise of soaked sponges, I’m probably making something up. Not just anything, mind you, something. It’s a subtle difference.

I’ve dabbled with hair braids
More about Courtney Kirchoff...

“There were so many viciously sarcastic ways to respond, Jaden’s brain was temporarily paralyzed due to witty comeback overload.” 3 likes
“The two studied one another for what seemed hours, neither saying a word. Jaden’s first inclination was to yell and demand his freedom, but something held him back. Here was a new man, and a new set of mind games. He waited for the old man to speak first and introduce himself, as Dalton had upon their first formal meeting. The stranger remained silent.” 2 likes