Start by marking “To Marry an Heiress” as Want to Read:
To Marry an Heiress

To Marry an Heiress (Daughters of Fortune #2)

The USA Today bestselling author returns with an unforgettable tale of a marriage of convenience that becomes a love match.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about To Marry an Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Marry an Heiress

Juliana Philippa
(3.5 stars) To Marry an Heiress is a decent read, but the real star of it is the heroine, Georgina (or "Gina"). The first half of this book was great and if it had continued in that vein, I would undoubtedly be giving the book a higher rating. Gina is an honest, straight-forward American, without artifice, vanity, or basically a single mean or selfish bone in her body. She's not placid though and can definitely be a spitfire.

What made the book go downhill for me was the hero, Devon. At the begin
kris
Nov 22, 2015 kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgina "Gina" Pierce has come to London with her father from Texas and his alleged fortune. Devon Sheridon, Earl of Huntington, has come to London to find a heiress to wed. Their match is arranged and things seem to be going swimmingly: while Gina struggles with the strictures of society, Devon is enamored of his unexpected bride-to-be--and the wedding night ain't bad neither, if you know what I'm talking about. EXCEPT THEN CONFLICT!! Gina's father dies and there's no money! Will these two blo ...more
Robin
Feb 29, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devon Sheridan, the Earl of Huntingdon, needs money desperately. The easiest way to get it is to marry a rich American heiress so he can pay off his debts and restore his crumbling estate. He approaches Nathaniel Pierce and asks to marry his daughter, Georgina. Nathaniel knows his daughter wants children, and sees this as a way to get her settled with a titled gentleman. Even though Gina wants to marry for love, she also wants to see her father happy and knows that a successful marriage will do ...more
Khye Chwin
I really enjoyed reading the book. There were scenes which made me laugh and some which made me cry. They are good and sad times...and I really appreciate Ms. Heath's work. Somehow this book really reminds me of The Sound of Music. Gina becoming like the children's governess and a very supporting a lady, despite Devon's up-and-downs. Something which I really appreciate, as it is very rare to read something as this without leaving the readers unsatisfied or irritated. So 5 stars!
E. Jamie
Mar 29, 2014 E. Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much! A hero rediscovers his own sense of self and belief in himself and a heroine who is strong enough to stay true to herself amid a world of pretense and societal pressures. Their love story was so powerful, I think because the relationship developed slowly. Watching the hero reconnect with his children and the developing relationship between the heroine and his children was so very sweet as well. On my keeper shelf now for sure!
Virginia
Other than the Texas twang of Miss Georgina's father that rather annoyed me, I enjoyed the dialog and the characters. The Earl of Huntingdon's character grew the most, but I could totally see why he changed and why he eventually loved Georgina. It was refreshing to read about a woman whose inner beauty far out-weighed her outer looks.
DramaQueen95
Dec 10, 2011 DramaQueen95 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the sweetest books I've read in a long time. Usually, I don't read books with heroes who were previously married, but I made an exception for this one. And am I glad that I did! Georgiana's and Devon's love story was beautiful and so emotional, which was a wonderful change from the usual love stories I read where the love is as physical as it is emotional. Here is a love story about two people who marry for convenience but end up finding love and so much more along the way.
The p
Michelle
Nov 10, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Earl of Huntingdon must marry an American heiress in order to bring his estate back to its former glory. He marries Georgina Pierce, only to find after they marry that her father has gambled away all his money. The Earl was steeped in the British traditions of the aristocracy not working for a living. Gina couldn't understand why he didn't want to work to improve things. Gina changes the lives of the Earl, his children, his staff and his tenants with her positive and hard-working ways. I fel ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A hasty marriage of convenience becomes one of great love and passion. A fortune is promised with his wife, but they find that the money is all gone. Figuring things out brings them closer. Great read!!
Zoe
American girl with a British lord......not for me.
Gina Salamon
Jan 11, 2017 Gina Salamon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what it is about a brooding male and the woman who redeems him, but I loved, loved, loved this book!

As matter of fact, while reading, I realized I had read this book before, but still couldn't put it down. There was no suspense, mystery or thriller aspect, which I usually crave, and I was entranced nonetheless.

I can't even count how many times I cried before getting to the ending. This book is so worth the read!
Marie
Mar 28, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bintang 5
Daughters of Fortune #2.

"Suatu hari di tanah Inggris, ada seorang bangsawan melarat yg bangun setiap pagi, melihat ke lahannya dan hanya melihat apa yg tidak bisa dihasilkan oleh lahan itu. Dia bekerja diladang itu setiap hari tapi membenci setiap ayunan sabitnya. Kemudian satu hari tak disangka muncul seorang wanita di ladang itu. Ketika wanita itu melihat ke bulir gandum, dia melihat mimpi yg bisa dipanen dengan kerja keras. Jadi setiap hari wanita itu menumpuk gandum yg dipanennya sa
Lawless Lily
Mar 04, 2017 Lawless Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Walaupun ga se-dag dig dug an waktu baca buku pertamanya, aku tetep menikmati ceritanya.
Di buku 2 seri Daughters of Fortune ini, pembaca disuguhi kisah yg paling penuh kejujuran. Ngerasa ada bagian yang datar, tapi juga sekaligus memikat. Mungkin karena ceritanya yang terkesan ringan, tanpa konflik yang bikin tersayat2, tapi disanding dengan karakter2 tokoh yang walaupun bisa dibilang sifatnya biasa aja, tapi tetep memiliki pesona masing2.

Sempet ngerasa kehilangan Texas, karena ternyata set
Angela Noviana
Aku suka deh cerita kalau bangsawannya itu miskin dan mereka harus bekerja untuk memperoleh uang. Biasanya cerita bangsawan itu mereka palingan investasi dimana lah, terus uang datang dengan sendirinya. Tapi aku lebih suka cerita bangsawan kalau mereka bekerja dengan tangan mereka sendiri, bukan karena warisan.

Devon putus asa karena dia jatuh miskin. Dia setuju untuk menikahi Georgina demi mendapatkan uang dan menyelamatkan tanahnya. Awalnya Georgina ingin menolak Devon, tapi keterusterangan pri
Mj4s
Mar 03, 2017 Mj4s rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hifivers
This book has been such a wonderful surprise! It was so very easy to all in love with Devon (and his brokenness) and Gina (and her inner strength and steadfastness). It was lovely to read the story of these two people falling in love and learning to trust each other.
Tiny Shen
Earl of Huntingdon dan Miss Georgina Pierce.

Gina adalah seorang gadis Amerika yang sedang berkunjung ke London bersama Ayahnya. Ayahnya, Nathaniel Pierce ada seorang pengusaha yang cukup sukses dan memiliki misi terpendam ketika mengunjungi London yaitu mencari seorang Bangsawan yang cocok menjadi suami bagi Gina.

Devon Sheridan, Earl of Huntingdon rela melakukan apa saja demi menyelamatkan keuangannya. Karena kesalahan investasi Earl terdahulu, keuangan keluarganya menjadi terpuruk. Hingga ia
Vina Raintree
Well, awalnya menyangka kalau ceritanya akan seputar - si cewek itu punya kekayaan besar, si cowok bangsawan kaku miskin, ada saingan cerita Lady blah blah yang perfect, cemburu, baikan.

Dan ternyata salah besar !

Devon yang bergelar Earl harus menanggung lebih miskin saat ia menikahi Georgina-putri pengusaha Amerika yang kaya raya. Kenapa tambah miskin ? Karena ternyata setelah pernikahan mereka, ayah Georgina malah berjudi besar-besaran dan menyebabkan bukannya mewariskan harta tapi malah mewar
Christine
Jul 30, 2010 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This had a terrific setup. Impoverished earl needs money, makes a deal to marry an American Heiress. The caveat: Shortly after the wedding, her father dies and it turns out that in the few days since their marriage, he had gambled away his entire fortune, including the dowry he had promised the earl.

For the first half of the book I was really into this conflict and thought it had great potential. It just didn't live up to it. Ultimately, I found the resolution of their conflicts came too easily
Amy
2.5 Stars because Lorraine always has good style and inner monologues but...

The angst at the end saved the book for me. I loved the premise of the story, but the execution chafed.
I kept waiting for things to feel like they worked. When Gina's wonderful father gambles it all away?(view spoiler)
Dawn
Debra
This review is from: To Marry an Heiress (Paperback)
I almost didn't read this book because of the title. I thought it was just another bodice ripper, but I do like Lorraine Heath so I tried it. Despite the rediculous title, this was pretty good book.

Lorraine Heath always gives us the unexpected, and that's why I enjoy her stories as much as I do. This book was no disappointment.

My problem with the book, as some have pointed out, is that somehow, Gina was never told that the Earl, Devon, had chi
Maura
Manuela
Feb 21, 2011 Manuela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cvl, storico
Deasy
Apr 04, 2013 Deasy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ceritanya sih sepertinya udah banyak dipake. Seorang Duke miskin yang ingin menikqhi seorang wanita Amerika yang mempunyai mas kawin yang banyak untuk menyelamatkan estatenya.

Namun tak terduga senuanya menjadi tak sesuai dengan rencana semula. Semua menjadi diluar perjanjian semula.

Tapi cara pembawaan LH dalam bercerita membuatku begitu terhanyut masuk ke dalam ceritanya. Ada moment moment dimana Lh mampu membuat adegan yang bisa membuat kita tertawa, sedih dan menyayat ...

Rasanya ga berlebi
Rob
Jan 06, 2012 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn in from the very beginning, it was a beautifully emotional story. The dialogue I thought was completely off for the era, however easy to overlook, what bothered me most were Devon's repetitive remarks throughout the book about Gina's lack of beauty, the constant references provided me an image of a Troll, which was a bit harder to get past. The independence, strength, and determination of Ginas character were what kept me reading, I usually fall in love with the heroes in my books, a ...more
Ruth
I wasn't sure about the Texan heiress element at first. Georgina - or Gina to her intimates - was a little too folksy at moments, but watching the relationship between her and Devon develop was lovely. There were times where I wanted to smack Devon, but he was fighting against his upbringing, generations of societal expectations, cultural pressures, and the disdain of his dead wife, so I tried to be a bit more sympathetic. Gina actually had the easier task, as her status may have changed, but he ...more
Yulia Anggraini
utang ripiu...

cukup lama buku ini aq cuekin...cz awalx sempat ngintip dikit n ternyata ceritax tidak disangka n kasihan sama devon... ;(

lupa nama cew... ;p
bapak c cew tega nian...bukanx memberi devon mas kawin yg dy janjikan yg ada malah meninggalkan setumpuk utang pada menantu barux...benar2 salah milih calon istri c devon... ;p

sudah cukup devon melanggar aturan bangsawan dengan bekerja di ladang...dy tidak mw melanggar aturan2 yg lain...alhasil dy nyaris kaku...dy sempat heboh saat istrix bers
Sari
Apr 04, 2013 Sari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suka sama buku ini, walau Devon sangat menyebalkan, tapi dia sangat menggambarkan karakter bangsawan pada saat itu yg sangat mementingkan pendapat masyarakat sekitar. Untung dia dapet pasangan seperti Gina, jadi bisa ngimbangin kekakuan sikapnya, sehingga bisa lebih menikmati hidup.

Gw juga suka nih novel yg ada tragedinya gini, jadi sang Hero bisa merasakan paniknya takut kehilangan tsb.

Walau gw blm baca buku pertama series ini, gw tidak menemukan kendala untuk memahami jln cerita di buku ini.
Olivia
May 21, 2013 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Gina and Devon are very well developed as characters and the reader gets to see them change as they grow to love each other. That said, I found parts of the story annoying. He marries her for her money and it turns out she doesn't have any. Shrug, not very innovative. At least in the end hard works wins and it's not a miracle that saves the farm.
I found Devon's obsession with his late wife a bit over the top. He idolized her to the point that she became a caricature of "lady".
*MariaA*
Feb 16, 2013 *MariaA* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-good-ones
I had read 'Love With a Scandalous Lord ' the 3rd in series first and i loved that one, this one i have mixed feelings,the story is good but Devon's character that started out well did'nt appeal much in the middle. Infact Devon appeared much better in Lauren and Tom's story 'Promise Me Forever'.
4stars to gina and story 3stars for devon
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 27, 2016 01:07PM
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • The Devil's Love
  • The Texan's Dream (McLain, #5)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Till Next We Meet
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Heartless (The Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #6)
  • Foxfire Bride
  • My Darling Caroline
  • To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Meet Me at Midnight (With This Ring, #2)
  • Jack's Christmas Mission (The Protectors, #16) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1113)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath...

Daughters of Fortune (4 books)
  • The Outlaw and the Lady (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • Love With a Scandalous Lord (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • An Invitation to Seduction (Daughters of Fortune, #4)