Start by marking “Dead Ringer” as Want to Read:
Dead Ringer

Dead Ringer

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Beside each body, he leaves a simple charm bearing a woman's name. Ruth, Rachel, Judith. The victims were strangers to each other, but they have been chosen with the utmost care. Each bears a striking resemblance to Kendall Shaw, a local anchorwoman, each brutally strangled by a madman whose obsession will never end.
Published December 1st 2010 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Ringer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Ringer

Mojca
The first book by this author I read didn’t really convince me, so I was pretty “nervous” as to how this one would pan out. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Good suspense, wonderful tension (also between characters), great mystery, good pacing...I was satisfied with this reading experience. Pity, the heroine was a journalist, though. They always come across as vultures willing to do anything to get their story. While I might admire the zeal in other circumstances, murder isn’t one of those.

Still,
Liviania
The police discover the body of a woman strangely wearing a charm decorated with a name that's not her own. Soon, another woman with similar facial structure and coloring is found dead. Detective Jacob Warwick notices their resemblance to reporter Kendall Shaw who really gets under his skin.

At the same time Kendall has her own concerns. The Stranger (the killer in I'M WATCHING YOU) kidnapped and terrorized her and now she's having nightmares. Oddly, they aren't of her recent experience but of a
Ruth
Reporter Kendall Shaw nearly died at the hands of a serial killer last summer. Since returning to work, she’s done her reporting from the safety of the anchor’s desk. But when a young woman is found strangled by the James River, Kendall feels compelled to cover the story. She wants to prove that she can handle the tough stories – not only to herself, but also to her demanding boss and former boyfriend, Brett.

Homicide detective Jacob Warrington and his partner Zack Kier have little to go on at th
Lainy
Time taken to read - 2 days

Publisher - Penguin books

Pages - 416

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

Kendall Shaw is a reporter, ruthless and does what it takes to get her story. However, bei
Carey
In the freezing cold of a Richmond, Virginia winter a serial killer is at work. When the second woman is found, homicide detective Jacob Warwick is struck by her resemblance to the first victim. Not only that, but both dead women bear a strong resemblance to Kendall Shaw.

Kendall is a beautiful and successful television news anchor. She met Jacob the previous summer when they were both pulled into another murder investigation. (Those events are the focus of Ms. Burton's first book, I'm Watching Y
Jane Stewart
Ok for mystery suspense with an adoption undercurrent. Serial killer is strangling women.

STORY BRIEF:
A serial killer is strangling women who look similar to Kendall, a TV news anchorwoman. Jacob is the homicide detective working the case. He is attracted to Kendall but feels she is out of his league. Nicole is a pregnant single woman who lives with Kendall. The issues of adoption are an undercurrent. Kendall was adopted and decides to learn more about her past. Nicole is deciding whether or not
Cheryl
There is a serial psychopath on the loose. He is killing off women one by one but this killer loves his women. Each body is found with a necklace engraved with the names of Ruth, Martha and Judith. There’s just one small thing…each of the women have a strong similarity to Channel 10 news anchorwoman Kendall Shaw. Kendall loves to cover the top stories but she never thought she would end up becoming one herself.

Kendall has always been the picture of a successful, independent woman but she has a
Rishika S.
The blurb of this book promises a thrilling, edge of your seat read that leave you turning the pages late into the night. Maybe that was the reason it was altogether, a little disappointing. While I cannot say that I disliked this book, I am unable to say that I liked it either. Hence, the average rating.

There were many things that Mary Burton got right with Dead Ringer. The serial killer with a creepy and disturbing motive, the maze that he leaves behind, the sexy and slightly flawed detective
Jaime
I used to say that I’m not much of a reader when it comes to crime thrillers and mysteries, but I think I’m going to have to amend that. After reading I’m Watching You, I have officially become a fan of the genre.

While I’m Watching You doesn’t take huge strides away from what’s expected in the genre, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Burton provided some twists and turns that I didn’t see coming at all. Not only that, but she goes the extra step of giving you false leads as well, which mak
Paula  Phillips
After reading I'm Watching You and really enjoying it, I decided to see if I could source anymore of Mary Burton's books and found a few. I have always had a thing for identical twins especially in murder mysteries as it adds another whole layer of intrigue and mystery to the book which is what happens in Dead Ringer as we meet a serial killer who is killing women who all resemble news reporter Kendall Shaw . Each woman has been found murdered and buried with a "charm name necklace". It turns o ...more
Eva Gerus
I discovered Mary Burton, by reading first the good thriller, I'm watching you. This is a sequel, since one of the characters in that book, the reporter, Kendall, is the main character in Dead Ringer.

The author does a terrific job by developing the main character, without telling us, her past. That past has a key on the present, and the identity of the killer. All the victims are linked, but we learn that in the last chapters of the book. This is a very well written thriller, and it reminds me
Sade
Loved it. If you're going to read this make sure you read "I'm Watching you" first. Which is also awesome! You don't need to read it but it definitely makes this story richer if you have.
Sarah Walker
Dead Ringer kept me guessing. Ms. Burton has a complex web of plotlines that all twist and turn, but her muliple characters added to the reality and interest of the book. Her characters are easy to connect to and I loved her suspensful back stories. She handles the killer's POV with excellent skill and taste. The voice of Allen was genuinely creepy and not at all like the book's regular voice which added suspense. I fell into the action and was swept past the normal critiquing voice that runs in ...more
Olimpia
Dead Ringer is a sequel to Mary Burton’s I’m Watching You and was even better than the first. Ms. Burton has done it again. This was a very well-written action packed, and suspense romantic novel.

Kendall Shaw is a reporter who’s recovering from an attack from a serial killer that almost killed her.

Murdered women, who seem to have a resemblance to Kendall, are now turning up. Could Kendall be next? Detective Jacob Warwick is determined to find this killer and protect Kendall before she becomes t
Amanda Meggs
Awesome. Edge of the seat reading, with a few false leads. It was not certain which weird guy it was going to be. I didn't read the first book in this series but will certainly look out for the next one.

“Dr Butler looked nonplussed over the woman lying on the metal table behind him. This was business as usual to him.” I was confused by this description of the medical examiner because it meant the opposite of nonplussed - he actually was quite indifferent to the woman, and nonplussed means he was
Zoe
Aside from the basic limitations that one has to accept with the Romantic Suspense genre (" I think a serial killer is out to get you....wanna shag?") this is definitely well done. Not for the romance, mind you, which was rushed and hard to swallow, but for the very well done mystery and it's procedural detail. Plus, there are two storyline which do converge near the end, but both were good enough that I wanted more of either. Burton's writing gets the job done without fuss, but nor does she rus ...more
Dave
Tough one to rate. It was ok, I did finish it. If its rubbish I don't finish the book. Everything was ok and ticked along at an acceptable rate. Sort of kept me guessing, but never gripped me. It was probably too long would be my biggest complaint. Would I read anymore of Mary Burtons books? Yes, but if it meanders along like this one, probably no more
Tanya
Oh how I love a good murder/thriller book and Mary Burton did not disappoint! I read this book in one day! I hate when you can instantly guess who the killer is in a book or even a movie! This book kept me guessing till the end. I was so sure I had it figured out then out of no where BOOM! I will definitely be reading more Mrs Burton books!
Rebecca
I picked this out without having read an of Mary Burton's books before, and I ended up quite liking it. I thought the link between the detective, the TV reporter, and the dying girls was interesting and I enjoyed the book overall despite the fact I guessed the killer about midway through. I would read more of Mary Burton's books.
Mackenzie
I enjoyed this book. In my opinion the characters were well developed, but Kendall and Jacob had a lot of baggage. I found it interesting to see how the murders fit together. All in all, the ending was the best. My heart was racing during the last 20 pages. Definitely a must read :)
Tracy Fenwick
This is the first book or Mary Burton's that I've read - she'd been noted as an author similar to Karen Rose. I really enjoyed this book - the twists and the turns were great and the odd red herring was thrown in to distract you. Everything that I love in a book was in here.
Angie Brill
I can tell I am going to read much more of Mary Burton's work. I tore through this one in a day and a half. I love her characters. Love the suspense. Love the plot twists most of all. This is a book that will have you sneaking in reading time whenever you can.
Paula
This one had me hooked from almost the very beginning - this is the type of book I love reading. A real page turner that kept me going back.

I love the way this story unfolds, and all the little twists and turns - would recommend this one to fans of this genre.
Sandhya
After reading romance novels for a long time, i thought for a change will try some suspense novels.
And i really liked this novel.
Even though the romance part is told as a suplot, there are lots of twists and turns, it will keep you engaged till the end.
Afsana
I enjoyed this book. I worked out earlier what the issue was re thevictims but thought they were more of a representation of the people not the actual people. The villan was a surprise- though when we were first introduced t them i did wonder
Anushka
This book would've been terrific if there were more characters. there were so few of them that I had no effort in guessing who the killer was.
Mary Burton can do so much better and I'm sure she;ll produce a gripping thriller one day.
Tiina
This book was okay but it always puts me a bit off when I can guess who the mysterious guilty person is before it is revealed (or before it becomes really obvious). Wanted to finish this, though, so not bad.
BJ
This is a new author for me. I really enjoyed this book and have already found copies of 2 more books by this author and added them to my bookshelf TBR pile.
Kathy Jund
Book Two!! Re-release another winnier! Unable to put it doewn til done!! That's what Saturday's are for! Pick this one up, too!!! kj :)
Marianne Jay
Since I am a mystery suspense junkie, I sort of figured "he" did it or was doing it - but nontheless this was a very good book.
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Did You Miss Me? (Romantic Suspense, #14)
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Romantic Suspense)
MARY BURTON’s southern family has always enjoyed tall tales and a good yarns. Early on, MB realized that Story had tremendous power to inspire strong responses such fear, laughter, love and even sorrow. It didn’t matter if the tale was found in the pages of a book, spoken in hushed tones around a Girl Scout campfire, or spouted at an old fashioned southern family reunion. This appreciation of stor ...more
More about Mary Burton...
Senseless (Senseless, #1) I'm Watching You Before She Dies The Seventh Victim Merciless (Senseless, #2)