Start by marking “The Key to Your Child's Heart” as Want to Read:
The Key to Your Child's Heart

The Key to Your Child's Heart

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A repeat bestseller for two decades, this child-rearing classic cuts to the heart of the anger and alienation that mar so many modern homes. In this ultimately practical book, Gary Smalley outlines effective steps for parents to open up a child that has shut them out. He describes family-tested ways for parents to set limits and enforce them, and he reveals the simple but ...more
Published October 12th 1995 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 30th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Key to Your Child's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to Your Child's Heart

Read this 20 years ago; loved it. It planted an idea of how I'd want my family to be someday. (Never did get married or have kids though.)
Jun 22, 2007 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a really great book on disciplining your child with love. There were some parts that seemed kind of corny, but the author did say that you should come up with your own family "contract" or rules. It really stressed the importance of explaining that we obey and act certain ways because God has placed value on everyone and by obeying we are showing respect to God's creation.
Catherine Gillespie
The Key to Your Child’s Heart, by Gary Smalley, didn’t stick out to me as being particularly noteworthy in the sea of parenting books. Most of the topics covered are covered better elsewhere, and on a few topics (such as punishment) I found I disagreed strongly with Smalley’s conclusions.

{Read my full review here}
This is an amazing parenting book. I have learned so much valuable information--now I just need to put it into practice. (-: This book specifically address two things: 1) establishing clearly defined and understood rules in the home, limits that the children know they cannot violate without some consequence and 2) establishing a commitment to love each child in a warm, affectionate and supportive way. The book goes into detail on how we as parents can do these two things. With setting limits it ...more
Apryl Anderson
What a total mixed message! Yes, love God and love one another as you love yourself. I didn't have to read this book to learn that.

Okay, Mr Smalley loves his children, poor kids. I am sooo glad that my father wasn't an esteemed child psycho! How much respect would it take to NOT use your children for every example?

Love, encourage, correct with gentleness. Don't build walls!
...and they all lived happily-ever-after.
Frans Karlsson
A book with some good advice about parenting with focus on the practical side. I was not so keen on the whole spanking side, but otherwise it was many good thoughts.
I've read this book before and it contains some great parenting advice. I'm sure I will read it again and again.
Although the book is a little old, circa 1992, it really has some great ideas about raising kids such as family nights and contracts. It is a good book just a little old.
Tammyribbey ribbey
A must read for all parents. This will improve any parent child relationship for the rest of your lives.
Isabel Torres
This is an amazing book so for. I love the family contract. My husband and I are working on drafting ours.
Christina Ingraham
Christina Ingraham marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Amanda Miller
Amanda Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Jaime Regal
Jaime Regal marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Fernando Gonzalez
Fernando Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Kerri Redmond-Medina
Kerri Redmond-Medina marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Mandy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Phil added it
Aug 16, 2015
Thom Henry
Thom Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy
  • Preparing for Adolescence
  • Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character …in You and Your Kids!
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living
  • Tender Warrior: God's Intention for a Man
  • My Heart's at Home: Becoming the Intentional Mom Your Family Needs
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Right from Wrong