The Key to Your Child's Heart

The Key to Your Child's Heart

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this child-rearing classic, Gary Smalley cuts to the relational heart of parenting to show readers proven methods that can spell the difference between an angry, rebellious, distant child and a happy, cooperative one.
Published October 12th 1995 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 1983)

Valerie
Jun 22, 2007 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a really great book on disciplining your child with love. There were some parts that seemed kind of corny, but the author did say that you should come up with your own family "contract" or rules. It really stressed the importance of explaining that we obey and act certain ways because God has placed value on everyone and by obeying we are showing respect to God's creation.
Jenny
This is an amazing parenting book. I have learned so much valuable information--now I just need to put it into practice. (-: This book specifically address two things: 1) establishing clearly defined and understood rules in the home, limits that the children know they cannot violate without some consequence and 2) establishing a commitment to love each child in a warm, affectionate and supportive way. The book goes into detail on how we as parents can do these two things. With setting limits it...more
Apryl Anderson
What a total mixed message! Yes, love God and love one another as you love yourself. I didn't have to read this book to learn that.

Okay, Mr Smalley loves his children, poor kids. I am sooo glad that my father wasn't an esteemed child psycho! How much respect would it take to NOT use your children for every example?

Love, encourage, correct with gentleness. Don't build walls!
...and they all lived happily-ever-after.
Gary
Although the book is a little old, circa 1992, it really has some great ideas about raising kids such as family nights and contracts. It is a good book just a little old.
Tammyribbey ribbey
A must read for all parents. This will improve any parent child relationship for the rest of your lives.
Isabel Torres
This is an amazing book so for. I love the family contract. My husband and I are working on drafting ours.
Kyle Lipinski
Kyle Lipinski is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amanda Rabe
Amanda Rabe marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Elizabeth Reid
Elizabeth Reid marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Bethany Jett
Bethany Jett marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Nicole Unger
Nicole Unger marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Ugbor Godwin
Ugbor Godwin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Morkos Nashed Saad
Morkos Nashed Saad is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2014
Natasja Conradie
Natasja Conradie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The DNA of Relationships Love Is a Decision For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband Making Love Last Forever If Only He Knew: What No Woman Can Resist