Brain Longevity: The Breakthrough Medical Program that Improves Your Mind and Memory

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  11 reviews
HELP! I'M ONLY 40 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T REMEMBER A THING!

You took care of your body. You've been taking care of your heart. Now you're a model of health and fitness, but your brain is letting you down. Is there anything you can do to stop the slide into forgetfulness, mental dullness, and mental old age?

Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., says there is a lot you can do, from cuttin...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Warner Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brain Longevity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Longevity

Eric
Feb 11, 2010 Eric is currently reading it
Dharm Singh Khalsa (I love that name) outlines a quite sensible program of nutrition, exercise, mind/body work, stress management, and natural supplements. The book is oriented toward maintaining the long-term health of your brain, but the life-style he outlines is generally healthy for your entire body. What's good for the heart is good for the brain. I highly recommend this book to get you excited about taking care of yourself for the long term.

As the care and feeding of the human organism is...more
Ardhanarishvara
i'm giving this 5 stars even though it's a bit out of date...luckily, both piracetam and tryphtophan are now legal in the US, unlike when it was written.

for anyone with Alzeimer's or dementia in their family or friend pool, this is a crucial read.

the crucial piece of take-away info: STRESS IS THE WORST THING FOR YOUR BRAIN. and can actually lead to the states of "aging" and dementia that most Americans think are normal.

i've been on many of the vitamin recommendations for years and highly recom...more
J. Dharma Windham
Dr. Khalsa presents up to date information that is still relevant today even though the book is a few years old. With all the stressors in our lives, it may not seem as important to read books about how to maintain our health, but without our brain, where would we be? If you have any concerns, this is a great book filled with, not just information and research (that's there too), but practical things you can do to improve your brain power and keep your brain healthy throughout your life. --Deann...more
Lance R. Goebel
This book provides a mix of correct and incorrect information - but the main problem isn't that - the main issue I take with this book is the complete lack of citations. The author doesn't support their claims with any sort of clinical studies - you're left to find studies that verify or falsify the information on your own.

The author clearly didn't intend this to be an academic work - if you're seriously interested in learning about the effects of nutrition on the brain, I suggest you look elsew...more
Inggita
i wanted to learn how memory works.. why i remember unimportant things like a conversations light years away with a childhood friend but i can't remember crucial things like where i keep the ATM card. So i read this book and now i can't even remember what i learned from it... sob :-( (it goes with age, i guess) so i'm giving it two stars because it's basically quite thorough in walking us through the brain dept...
Umm Layth
Feb 28, 2008 Umm Layth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Umm Layth by: Shaykh Nuh Keller
An eye opener. It was also recommended by Shaykh Nuh Keller.

I really enjoyed reading this book because of the approach the author takes on health. He focuses a lot on spirit, health, and not just fighting symptoms. It's a complete outlook on the human body. This is the beauty of Eastern medicine; it tries to pinpoint the cause so that none of those symptoms will continue to occur.

A must read.
Cheryl
Basically what I already knew - eat right, avoid processed foods, exercise your body and brain, do strength training, reduce stress with meditation and or yoga. I'm looking into meditation and yoga. I'm doing the rest and I still can't remember anything so maybe they will help. :-)
Shirley
Might be worth trying some of the suggestions to strengthen the brain connections.
Sonyajohnston
This book gives a lot of practical advice on how to take care of your brain.
kunkku
all you need to know about keeping your brain in good fettle..?
Zoulati
Zoulati marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sue Kapty
Sue Kapty is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Mervyn Attwell
Mervyn Attwell marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Ayse Ergin
Ayse Ergin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Danae Sierra
Danae Sierra marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
LizM
LizM marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Jr
Jr marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force Food As Medicine: How to Use Diet, Vitamins, Juices, and Herbs for a Healthier, Happier, and Longer Life The Kundalini Yoga Experience: Bringing Body, Mind, and Spirit Together The New Golden Rules The End of Karma