Start by marking “The Complete Book of Baby Names: The Most Names (100,001+), Most Unique Names, Most Idea-Generating Lists (600+) and the Most Help to Find the Perfect Name” as Want to Read:

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Complete Book of Baby Names helps make this transition fun - and easy - by giving you the most complete and up-to-date book of baby names available.
Published June 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Baby Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Baby Names

Reese
The introduction was too long, repetitive, pointless, and poorly written, and to say that the author took liberties with the meanings of a few names would be an understatement. For example, the name Aurelia means "golden," but in this book it is defined as "A golden-haired woman." Similarly, the name Blue is claimed to mean "A woman with blue eyes," whereas, last I checked, the word blue still just referred to the color itself. Plus, knowing a bit of Spanish, I was able to see that the author of ...more
Several hours and headaches later, I finally found some decent names. The problem with this book is that it lists EVERY, SINGLE, POSSIBLE, baby name out there. If you want to name your kid after a state, go look at a map, not a baby name book.

I need to find a baby book that is traditional names. None of this werid, modern age crap that Hollywood likes to pull like "Celery" and "Apple". (Yes they were both in there) WTH? Those poor kids...
Amy
100,001+ names and we're still not settled on a boy name...unbelievable...

I think we're pretty well settled on a girl name but boy names are a lot harder...and I'm not sure that staring at 50,000 boy names is helping at this point, but anyway...
Alyssa Greatbanks
I absolutely hated this book. I feel like I'm being rude saying this, but that's how I feel.

I got this book at a garage sale to have something handy to name my Sims or any other naming situations that may arise. I would say that at least 80% of the names are just words. Like apple, or saturday. There was little to no useful information in it.

To think, I couldn't even use these names for my Sims. Imagine trying to name an actual baby out of it. Save yourself the time, get a different book.
Erin
I found this book to be a waste of time and money, particularly if you are Caucasian. Many of the origins and definitions listed are incorrect and the attempted legitimization of made up names and giving them the author's made up definitions is just laughable. this book is geared mainly towards blacks, Hispanics, other foreigners and teh type of trailer trash who like alternate spellings and pure sillyness. my recommendation...stick with linda Rozenkrantz when it comes to naming your baby...she ...more
Angel
This was a good book. If your having a baby and don't have a name picked out then this book has many to choose from. I read a baby book before this, I can't remember the name or author, but I didn't like it at all. It had too many categories. This one had two categories:boy names and girl names. It goes in alphabetical order also. Simple to look names up. It also gives you the definition of what the name means.
Becki
If you're looking for a book of names you'd never name a child, then this is the book for you. I seriously think they just put together a list of words and made them into names. Every month and state is accounted for and why would I name a child Welcome?
Lydia
Mar 23, 2012 Lydia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lydia by: Library
It has loads of ideas, and we loved the lists.
Only problem was there was no pronounciation guide, so we struggled a lot with the lesser known names. But we borrowed the book just to get ideas on names, so we were happy with it.
Meredith
The best book of baby names I've found although it is disppointing that there are no "see" references for extremely common names included under other entries as alternate spellings.
Alexa Claire
I absolutely hated this collection of baby names. It's full of bizarre names and is completely impractical. I did find the name Calliope, which I love, but other than that, it's useless.
Madison
Does it count if you only read the half the book about boy names? I think it does. We are down to a list of 22 names. Good thing we still have a couple of months to decide.
Julianna
I hated most of the names in this book. Half were not pronouncable and not one of my top 5 was in it. I suggest the internet, baby name wizard is a good one.
Jessica
I thought the layout was confusing. It had A LOT of very foreign names that I couldn't even begin to pronouce and for sure would't use! I was disappointed.
Marisa
The best of the best! Believe me, I've spent YEARS looking at baby name books and this one has it all. The best selection of names out there.
Keely
A heap ton of names I've never even imagined. Has name meanings, as well. Very cool.
Amy (Stockton) Nobbe
Ugh... too many names to choose from. Don't know how we will ever decide on just one!!
Liz Lawhead
This is where we found Malina!
Erica Ramsey
Extremely helpful and informative.
PWRL
Nancy
Nancy added it
Sep 12, 2014
Trinity
Trinity marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Everything Classical Mythology Book: Greek and Roman Gods, Goddesses, Heroes, and Monsters from Ares to Zeus Jane Austen Miscellany The Everything Guide to Writing Children's Books: From Cultivating an Idea to Finding the Right Publisher All You Need to Launch a Successful Career Children's Books: Your Guide to Crafting a Captivating Tale! (Only Writing Series You'll Ever Need) The Everything Psychology Book: Explore the Human Psyche and Understand Why We Do the Things We Do