Start by marking “Unanswered Cries” as Want to Read:

Thomas French

Unanswered Cries

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  414 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The fatal night

On a warm Florida evening, Karen Gregory saw a familiar face at her door. What the beautiful young woman could not know was that she was staring into the eyes of her killer--a savage monster who would rape her, stab her to death, and leave her battered body on the floor outside the bedroom.

The desperate search

Detectives frantically sifting through the evide
Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published May 1st 1991 by St Martins Pr (a)

To ask other readers questions about Unanswered Cries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unanswered Cries

Lady♥Belleza★✰
When Karen Gregory was attacked in her Florida home, she screamed. Her scream was heard by more than a dozen neighbors and if was audible for several blocks. Yet no one called the police. Her body was discovered thirty-one hours later and the trail was cold. There were things about this case that puzzled detectives. There was a note left on a car in the driveway, detectives wondered why the police were not called since there was blood and broken glass outside the front door. Also the evidence po ...more
Jan 20, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unanswered Cries is the lengthy and true crime story of the murder of Karen Gregory a Graphic Artist living in Florida. The book not only focuses on the murder itself but emphasized what the friends and family of the victim had gone through as the case progressed. What I liked about this book compared to other true crime stories is the author did not immediately fill you in on who the accused was so it kept you guessing a bit. Most of the time they paint a picture of a murder and identify the ki ...more
♥ Marlene♥
On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 I wrote about this book on bookcrossing:

Actuallly this was a great book. I did read this in 1 and a half day, so thats pretty quick, considering English is not my native language.;) (It is my mothers, she is English, but we always spoke Dutch)

This Book was very well written.The most shocking of this book is that even if you live in a small and friendly neighborhood you are not safe.everybody living there heard Karen scream but nobody helped, or checked what was go
Irene
Mar 08, 2009 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed this book at a flea market when I was living in Tampa and was glad I did. This story will make you NEVER ignore the sounds that go bump in the night (or when you hear someone scream but assume that person is 'goofing around.') A true story that will frustrate you about how the legal system works (and sometimes doesn't) and the complacency of others.
Sita
Jun 20, 2013 Sita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime fans
As with all true crime, I hate to say I "enjoyed" the book. The response, or lack thereof, of this woman's neighbours did make me take a look at myself though. I like to think that if I heard this woman scream in the night as they did, that unlike them, I'd have called the police. But who knows. How often do we hear something and think, "oh it was probably just kids playing" or "someone just got startled by a mouse". I know now though, I'll never write off a scream. I'd rather be wrong and have ...more
Lorrie
Mar 07, 2014 Lorrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading a book about a murder and the subsequent charge and conviction of the accused, I tend to formulate my own opinion. This true crime story disturbed me. The man accused of this murder still maintains his innocence, more than 25 years later. You would think after more than a quarter century of incarceration, Mr Lewis would take responsibility for the murder if he was truly guilty. But perhaps I'm being naive.

The author of this book did a good job of writing about this crime and the af
Phil
Jul 22, 2009 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true story about a terrible crime and its impact to the people involved. Written by a local newspaperman, it does an admirable job of covering the who what why where when of the crime, the investigation and trial.

If you like true crime stories, this will satisfy.
Lynda Kelly
This was a fascinating true crime story but the proofreader needs shooting. I'm not at all impressed as I paid for this one as well. It's bad enough with a freebie but insulting in something I've paid for. I marked around 70 mistakes peppered throughout.
What the author did more than anything was drop words from sentences like the/his/of/what/how/later, etc, etc, etc....really annoying.
Some sentences were just bad English with needlessly repeated words-like "George was not exactly the type to be
Bonnie Randall
Mar 22, 2016 Bonnie Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Unanswered Cries documents the murder (and long aftermath) of Karen Gregory, raped and killed in her home in Florida in the 1980s.

Gregory herself was relatively unremarkable; a thirty-something woman who appears to have finally ‘found herself’; she’d landed a job that was several steps up from waiting tables as she’d once done, and was in a committed relationship with a man she’d finally found love with. That he was black and she was white doesn’t ring any particular bells for me, but perhaps i
Citywildcat
Dec 01, 2014 Citywildcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another intriguing book, another book I MUST read in order to answer a question for myself: "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?" In order for me to be captivated enough to read a book I have to have a question in mind I want answered....there must be a captivating enough story to make me want to understand how the crime could have happened. In this case, the crime occurred at a time when many people heard the screams and probably knew SOMETHING was wrong. Many people heard the screams and because I read the b ...more
Valerie
Jan 02, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book regarding a brutal rape and murder case which occurred in Gulfport, FL in 1984. Although several people heard the victim scream extremely loudly, not one of them called the police. Eventually, an EMT and firefighter who lived across the street was arrested for the crime by his former best friend, who happened to be the lead detective on the case. The trial was a very long one and until fairly recently, several people still had doubts that George Lewis committed t ...more
Kate
May 18, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was the best true crime book I've read, and that's saying a lot.

It didn't dole out information at a snail's pace, it didn't canonize the victim, and it didn't become unbearably boring in the courtroom.
Nancy
This is a true crime story about the murder of Karen Gregory near Gulfport, Florida in the 1980's. I was attracted to this book because there aren't many true crime books set in Florida. Unfortunately, I found the book lacking. There were numerous typos and grammatical errors and I found myself continually thinking that I could have probably written it better myself. The author spends way too much time dealing with courtroom minutiae and not enough time developing the characters and as a consequ ...more
Rita
Jan 25, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas French gives so much of himself to his fans and this book was no exception.
His attention to detail is astonishing and that is for both the prosecution and defence sides. He top-notch. I highly recommend this particular book and I give it
5 Stars
Leigh Anne
I saw this case on a TV episode, and wanted to read a book covering it to get more details. It's a tragic crime, and the author did a good job of helping the reader connect to the victim and to her friends & family. I would have liked to know more about the killer, and his background. The last half of the book covered the trial, but I found myself scanning back, trying to pinpoint exactly how/when the police realized who the real suspect was. I may have missed something, but it seemed the bo ...more
Fishface
Jan 22, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying story of a cold case that finally, finally, finally got solved.
Erik
Feb 24, 2015 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Same old

Not a bad book, but a bit outdated and redundant. The book is sometimes as vague as the evidence! Not the best,not the worst
SouthWestZippy
Very sad story and a good book.
Courtney
Aug 20, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
he totally did it.
Heid Cole
I lived on Florida's West Coast when this muder happened, but don't remember it. Many of the names and places are familiar. Sad story, as most of these true crime stories are. Man convicted still appealing and claiming innocence.... But if someone ever appeared guilty, this guy is it!

Fast moving, doesn't drag as many do that take you back into the early life of each player... Relevant. Worth a read if you are looking for something to read on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
Eva Fitzgerald
Apr 27, 2014 Eva Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book about a woman whose scream was not reported to the police. A very good book.
Nick
Oct 28, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
This was an excellent true crime that originated with the author's frustration at reporting on a series of murders including the one in this book, where the victim's screams for help could be heard for several blocks yet no one called for help.

This was the first true crime book I'd read where the book contained details of the jury deliberations based on interviews with the jurors. I found that aspect particularly interesting.
Lia Rock lantz
Feb 06, 2013 Lia Rock lantz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true story that makes you think about what you would do. I would definitely help! And, then to find out who it was and wanting to scream it to the police! And, all the bull that went on during the trial! WOW! Made me sick almost. What a fantastic read. I really feel for the victim, her family and friends. And even, the friends and family of the killer because he really played everyone well.
Jan 20, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I love stories based on true events. I just wonder if anything would of been different if just one person picked up the phone that night. It is really hard for me to understand why no one did anything.
Sandra
Dec 11, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is based in real events and it was a bit of an eye opener about how safe you really are in your neighborhood... It made me want to do research about the case and find out if there is updated information...
Mari Anne
Nov 05, 2011 Mari Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great true crime book about a crime that happened in St. Petersburg FL written by a former reporter from the St. Pete Times. Excellent writing makes great reading about a horrific crime.
Cindy
Feb 16, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book twice and liked it so much....wonder if they caught the right guy. I think they did but then there is that reasonable doubt that makes you wonder.....
Julz
Jul 15, 2012 Julz rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
True crime books are one of my vices. This one took place not far from where I taught in Florida. The story was well-written and assiduously researched.
Tia
Aug 14, 2012 Tia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really gets you thinking about who committed this crime. Really enjoying the book. I have always enjoyed true crime shows.
Anna
Jan 26, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a compelling True Crime story that makes you think on multiple levels. It is frustrating in some places and rewarding in others.
1991 Tom French interview, Tampa Bay Life 1 2 Jan 03, 2016 09:37AM
  • PREDATOR
  • Open Secrets
  • Blood Bath
  • Death Trap
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Suffer The Little Children
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Escaping the Arroyo
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • Michigan Murders
  • Notes on a Killing: Love, Lies, and Murder in a Small New Hampshire Town
  • Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and Redemption in the Infamous I-45/Texas Killing Fields
  • Murder in the Synagogue
  • Illustrated True Crime
  • Killer Nurse
Thomas French, a Pulitzer prize-winning reporter, has spent the past quarter century redefining the possibilities of journalistic storytelling, both in his writing and in his teaching around the world.
French grew up in Indiana and attended journalism school at Indiana University’s Bloomington campus, where he was a Poynter scholar and editor-in-chief at the Indiana Daily Student, and where he won
More about Thomas French...

“To him it felt as if his house had seased to be his home and instead had become a place that merely contained some of his belongings.” 0 likes