Start by marking “Unanswered Cries” as Want to Read:

Thomas French

Unanswered Cries

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The fatal night

On a warm Florida evening, Karen Gregory saw a familiar face at her door. What the beautiful young woman could not know was that she was staring into the eyes of her killer--a savage monster who would rape her, stab her to death, and leave her battered body on the floor outside the bedroom.

The desperate search

Detectives frantically sifting through the eviden
Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published May 1st 1991 by St Martins Pr (a) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Unanswered Cries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unanswered Cries

♥Belleza★✰
When Karen Gregory was attacked in her Florida home, she screamed. Her scream was heard by more than a dozen neighbors and if was audible for several blocks. Yet no one called the police. Her body was discovered thirty-one hours later and the trail was cold. There were things about this case that puzzled detectives. There was a note left on a car in the driveway, detectives wondered why the police were not called since there was blood and broken glass outside the front door. Also the evidence po ...more
Unanswered Cries is the lengthy and true crime story of the murder of Karen Gregory a Graphic Artist living in Florida. The book not only focuses on the murder itself but emphasized what the friends and family of the victim had gone through as the case progressed. What I liked about this book compared to other true crime stories is the author did not immediately fill you in on who the accused was so it kept you guessing a bit. Most of the time they paint a picture of a murder and identify the ki ...more
♥ Marlene♥
On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 I wrote about this book on bookcrossing:

Actuallly this was a great book. I did read this in 1 and a half day, so thats pretty quick, considering English is not my native language.;) (It is my mothers, she is English, but we always spoke Dutch)

This Book was very well written.The most shocking of this book is that even if you live in a small and friendly neighborhood you are not safe.everybody living there heard Karen scream but nobody helped, or checked what was go
Irene
Grabbed this book at a flea market when I was living in Tampa and was glad I did. This story will make you NEVER ignore the sounds that go bump in the night (or when you hear someone scream but assume that person is 'goofing around.') A true story that will frustrate you about how the legal system works (and sometimes doesn't) and the complacency of others.
Sita
Jun 20, 2013 Sita rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime fans
As with all true crime, I hate to say I "enjoyed" the book. The response, or lack thereof, of this woman's neighbours did make me take a look at myself though. I like to think that if I heard this woman scream in the night as they did, that unlike them, I'd have called the police. But who knows. How often do we hear something and think, "oh it was probably just kids playing" or "someone just got startled by a mouse". I know now though, I'll never write off a scream. I'd rather be wrong and have ...more
Lorrie
After reading a book about a murder and the subsequent charge and conviction of the accused, I tend to formulate my own opinion. This true crime story disturbed me. The man accused of this murder still maintains his innocence, more than 25 years later. You would think after more than a quarter century of incarceration, Mr Lewis would take responsibility for the murder if he was truly guilty. But perhaps I'm being naive.

The author of this book did a good job of writing about this crime and the af
Phil
A true story about a terrible crime and its impact to the people involved. Written by a local newspaperman, it does an admirable job of covering the who what why where when of the crime, the investigation and trial.

If you like true crime stories, this will satisfy.
Lynda Kelly
This was a fascinating true crime story but the proofreader needs shooting. I'm not at all impressed as I paid for this one as well. It's bad enough with a freebie but insulting in something I've paid for. I marked around 70 mistakes peppered throughout.
What the author did more than anything was drop words from sentences like the/his/of/what/how/later, etc, etc, etc....really annoying.
Some sentences were just bad English with needlessly repeated words-like "George was not exactly the type to be
Nancy
This is a true crime story about the murder of Karen Gregory near Gulfport, Florida in the 1980's. I was attracted to this book because there aren't many true crime books set in Florida. Unfortunately, I found the book lacking. There were numerous typos and grammatical errors and I found myself continually thinking that I could have probably written it better myself. The author spends way too much time dealing with courtroom minutiae and not enough time developing the characters and as a consequ ...more
Leigh Anne
I saw this case on a TV episode, and wanted to read a book covering it to get more details. It's a tragic crime, and the author did a good job of helping the reader connect to the victim and to her friends & family. I would have liked to know more about the killer, and his background. The last half of the book covered the trial, but I found myself scanning back, trying to pinpoint exactly how/when the police realized who the real suspect was. I may have missed something, but it seemed the bo ...more
Erik
Same old

Not a bad book, but a bit outdated and redundant. The book is sometimes as vague as the evidence! Not the best,not the worst
Heid Cole
I lived on Florida's West Coast when this muder happened, but don't remember it. Many of the names and places are familiar. Sad story, as most of these true crime stories are. Man convicted still appealing and claiming innocence.... But if someone ever appeared guilty, this guy is it!

Fast moving, doesn't drag as many do that take you back into the early life of each player... Relevant. Worth a read if you are looking for something to read on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
Eva Fitzgerald
This was a very good book about a woman whose scream was not reported to the police. A very good book.
Nick
This was an excellent true crime that originated with the author's frustration at reporting on a series of murders including the one in this book, where the victim's screams for help could be heard for several blocks yet no one called for help.

This was the first true crime book I'd read where the book contained details of the jury deliberations based on interviews with the jurors. I found that aspect particularly interesting.
I enjoyed reading this book. I love stories based on true events. I just wonder if anything would of been different if just one person picked up the phone that night. It is really hard for me to understand why no one did anything.
Sandra
This one is based in real events and it was a bit of an eye opener about how safe you really are in your neighborhood... It made me want to do research about the case and find out if there is updated information...
Mari Anne
Great true crime book about a crime that happened in St. Petersburg FL written by a former reporter from the St. Pete Times. Excellent writing makes great reading about a horrific crime.
Cindy
I read this book twice and liked it so much....wonder if they caught the right guy. I think they did but then there is that reasonable doubt that makes you wonder.....
Julz
True crime books are one of my vices. This one took place not far from where I taught in Florida. The story was well-written and assiduously researched.
Tia
This really gets you thinking about who committed this crime. Really enjoying the book. I have always enjoyed true crime shows.
Anna
This was a compelling True Crime story that makes you think on multiple levels. It is frustrating in some places and rewarding in others.
Inara
This book showed how the family of the victim suffered in the aftermath of the crime - unusual for a true crime story.
Michelle Silvestri-Oetinger
I liked the book but am shocked and can't believe neighbors could hear such a sream and do nothing!!!
Margaret Boehm
Very dramatic, disturbing life situation. Thomas French captures what our society has become.
Princess Melanie
A brilliant in depth account of true crime and the subsequent court case was easy to follow.
Suzanne
I liked this true crime. Fast and easy reading. Will look for more by this author
Kathy Van
sad story, but a great story of how a family never gives up on finding justice for Karen.
Brenda
French masters this genre! True crime true life - impressively penned.
Reena
Interesting story but it dragged on too much.
  • Death Trap
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Suffer The Little Children
  • Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children
  • The Bank Holiday Murders: The True Story of the First Whitechapel Murders
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • In Broad Daylight
Thomas French, a Pulitzer prize-winning reporter, has spent the past quarter century redefining the possibilities of journalistic storytelling, both in his writing and in his teaching around the world.
French grew up in Indiana and attended journalism school at Indiana University’s Bloomington campus, where he was a Poynter scholar and editor-in-chief at the Indiana Daily Student, and where he won
More about Thomas French...
Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives South of Heaven: Welcome to High School at the End of the Twentieth Century Unanswered Cries Unanswered Cries: A True Story of Friends, Neighbors, and Murder in a Small Town York Minster: The Great East Window