Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)

Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  773 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In 1774, Richard Bolitho is a newly appointed Third Lieutenant, joining the 28-gun frigate Destiny. Dispatched on a secret mission, Destiny and her company face the hazards of conspiracy, treason, and piracy. It is amidst the broadside battles and clashes of swords that Bolitho learns to accept his new responsibilities as a King's officer.
Published April 1st 1998 by McBooks Press (first published December 31st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Stand into Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand into Danger

Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Tales
120th out of 336 books — 192 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellOutlander by Diana GabaldonShōgun by James ClavellThe Highlander by Zoe Saadia
Best historical novels
276th out of 366 books — 381 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim "The Enchanter"
Treasure, Treachery and Forbidden Love - 3 Stars

Stand into Danger is the fourth book is the series about Richard Bolitho, a young officer in the Royal Navy. Although it was not the fourth written by Alexander Kent, it is fourth based on the internal chronology.

Plot summary

Richard once again finds himself aboard a new and much larger ship, Destiny. Having recently completed his officer's exam, he finds himself in the unfamiliar position as third Third Lieutenant aboard the ship. He is qui...more
James
- Sorry for the messy review: only way I could think of to review the book yet not give much away.
____________________________________________

I'm appalled. Truly appalled.

And not at the book, the writing or the author. But at the publisher. They have completely and utterly ruined this series for me. In one, singular page they destroyed the impact this series could ever have on me. In fact, if you are to take on any single thing from this review, it should be this:

DO NOT READ THE TIMELINE AT T...more
Edward Hanlon
Stand into Action is the second Alexander Kent novel about Richard Bolitho I have read (the first being the earlier Midshipman Bolitho). As with the first, I finished with a feeling of vague disappointment. I am a huge fan of the Horatio Hornblower series by C. S. Forester, another series about a man who rises through the chain of command in the British Navy in the Napoleanic era. This is a double edged sword as it makes me both eager to read more about the time-period but holds everything that...more
theduckthief
Jan 10, 2010 theduckthief rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of naval fiction
"The mist darkened and edged aside as the anchored ship loomed into view. the boat was approaching her starboard bow and past the long tapering jib-boom. Like Bolitho's new uniform on the wey jetty, the Destiny seemed to shine through the drifting muck. From her lithe and buff hull to her three mastheads she was a thoroughbred. All her shrouds and standing rigging were freshly blacked down, her yards crossed, and each sail neatly furled to match its neighbour."p12

Richard Bolitho is now an office...more
Stuart
The second (or maybe third or fourth) Richard Bolitho book. (My copy says the second book). Bolitho is now a Lieutenant, and in days of peace (1774) is lucky enough to have a place on a ship (A frigate called Destiny). Alexander Kent (the author) differentiates himself from CS Forester and Patrick O'Brian, both of whom are peerless (in my opinion)and even from Julian Stockwyn, by creating his own atmosphere via the insertion of short choppy ungrammatical sentences, and also by using multiple poi...more
Taylor
Jun 24, 2009 Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who like Napoleonic naval tales.
Shelves: general-fiction
This is a good Napoleonic-era naval fiction book. I've just read the second in the series because, when I was at the bookstore, I saw the series but the store did not have the first book. Since these books tend to be rather stand-alone (with some exceptions), I felt that it would be worthwhile to read. I've read most of the other series in this genre and found this to be enjoyable. It's no Hornblower, but then nothing else really is either.

I will probably read further into this series. This genr...more
Frank
Good story. Kept you reading. Not as good as the 'Hornblower' books but good!
George
It is 1774 and eighteen year old newly appointed third lieutenant Richard Bolitho has been assigned to the HMS Destiny a frigate that is getting ready to sail. This adventure takes Bolitho from Plymouth across Atlantic to Rio and then to the Caribbean before returning to Plymouth a year later. The ship is on a secret mission and the mission is full of adventure and fighting as Bolitho matures under the guidance of a stern captain and his experiences during this time.

It is a naval adventure that...more
Writerlibrarian
I've read this one in French because the translation is quite good. I was a little lost at the beginning I felt like I was missing something big. A piece of the puzzle, I gather that Richard's best friend Martyn Dancer,from the first books is dead. After checking out Douglas Reeman's website (aka Alexander Kent) I see that missing book was published last year : Band of Brothers. I'll have to get that one before reading In Gallant Company. I rather liked Stand into danger. It had action, angst an...more
Rafa Sánchez
Rumbo al Peligro, novela de acción contra un turbio personaje, mitad pirata, mitad corsario, en misión secreta. Bolitho encuentra el amor y lo pierde. Gran novela.
Stefan
Stand Into Danger, is the first Alexander Kent I have read in the past year or two, and rereading this one was pleasure. This novel describes Bolitho’s career as third lieutenant on 28 gun frigate, Destiny. As always, Kent describes lift at sea using vivid descriptions and imagery, while also having good dialogue, and an interesting plot to keep the reader entertained. This novel reminded me how good the Bolitho series was, and I am definitely looking forward to rereading this series!
Bruno
I love Bolitho and Alexander Kent's writing. They just fill my measures. The ambience is perfect and the language superb - even though you must ignore most of it as we ignore Gregory House's diagnosis of patients, as they are impossible to comprehend. Kent's clever building up of relationships makes him a master, and the action is so fast you can't stop reading. This one, so far, Stand into Danger, has been the best I've read from him. Top notch.
Dawn
In 1774 Bolitho is recovering from the heartache of a lost friend and is now a newly appointed third lieutenant due to a tragic but fortuitous accident on the part of the former first lieutenant of the 28-gun frigate Destiny.

There are fewer meetings with the Bolitho family in this book and this is Bolitho’s farthest trip from home so far. He continues to be an exciting character and his progression through the ranks should remain interesting.
Sqyire21
Another good book in the series. However, like many others, I felt I was missing something in the early part of the book with the death of the pivital charater of Bolitho's best friend. He just isn't in this book, and there is only a minor mention of his death. Beyond this minor story flaw, I felt the book moved very well and I found it continually entertaining.
Will
This series is definitely worth reading. Man! My ears are still ringing from the thunderous roar of the guns! The action is good, the characters realistic, and the writing superb. Bolitho is similar to Hornblower, but without the inferiority complex. Much more readable and engaging than Aubrey/Maturin.
Alisa
No, it's not an O'Brien, but this entry in the Bolitho series has heart-pounding action and some good characterization nonetheless, especially in the last half. This is the best I've read in the series so far and far superior to the more recent entry, Band of Brothers.
Edward Creter
Alexander Kent, aka Douglas Reeman, still cranks out the best sea stories of all time. Richard Bolitho, our hero with the odd last name (LOL!) returns to blow a new one into merciless sea pirates. Lotsa action and nicely researched. Bolitho kicks ass!
Will
I have read the Hornblower and Ramage series and this book fits right in. I felt at times though, that Mr. Kent has the main character floating through the action. I still recommend the book if you like Hornblower.
Ian
There are about 20 or so in the series I think, one day I might get around to reading the rest, the two I've read so far are fast paced, easy reading, and enjoyable.
Topher
Sort of a horatio hornblower clone - started the series to have something out of the ordinary for me, and have enjoyed the several books I've read so far in in.
Gwenie
J'ai trouvé le début un peu poussif. Moi qui, d'habitude, aime beaucoup ces romans maritimes, je n'ai pas du tout accroché et l'ai abandonné très vite.
Matt
More good escapism on high seas with the Royal Navy. Bolithio is just as good or better than many of the other series I read.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as off-tbr-and-into-wpb
Margareth8537
Enjoy a new Alexander Kent as I ran through Hornblower - and I quite like the character of Bolitho
Jim
Apparently I am a sucker for the British Navy. I enjoyed this.
Jenn
Afraid I'm hooked now.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 12 31 Feb 28, 2013 04:43PM
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • The Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower: A Biography of C. S. Forester's Famous Naval Hero
  • Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #10)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
Midshipman Bolitho (Richard Bolitho, #1-2) Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6) In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5) To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7) Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)