Start by marking “The Farfarers: A New History of North America” as Want to Read:
The Farfarers: A New History of North America

The Farfarers: A New History of North America

In this bestseller, Farley Mowat challenges the conventional notion that the Vikings were the first Europeans to reach North America, offering an unforgettable portrait of the Albans, a race originating from the island now known as Britain. Battered by repeated invasions from their aggressive neighbors—Celt, Roman, and Norse—the Albans fled west. Their search for safety, a ...more
Published April 6th 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Farfarers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farfarers

Joe White
Jan 22, 2013 Joe White rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-shelf, history
I generally agree with most of the author's observations and assumptions. There is something about the writing style that makes this book a long drawn out read. Several portions are describing geography that isn't commonly familiar to most people.

This book would be an excellent exercise to re-present in a modern multimedia format. Maps of each place named would enhance the reading experience greatly, particularly if individual place names used in the text were marked and distinct. Any new mater
Tom Watson
Dec 27, 2012 Tom Watson rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Anyone who knows me knows I really enjoy historical fiction because I love good storytelling and I love history - not the events themselves, but how it affected people and how they responded to it; how they live their lives through the events. So it should be no surprise that I enjoy this book, The Farfarers. It was fascinating for several reasons: it is somewhat controversial (historically speaking); Mowat presents the evidence of the likelihood that Europeans migrated to North ...more
Bgmcleod
Apr 15, 2012 Bgmcleod rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It is about the Albans and the theory that these Europeans had a presence in North America a thousand years ago. The Albans were the people who populated Europe before the arrival of the Celtic Indo-Europeans (The Basque people are descendants of this group.) They were pushed out, into Alba (Britain) northward into Pictland (Scotland,) the outer islands, Iceland, Greenland, and finally North America. The author makes a case that these people originally colonized Iceland and ...more
Gene Porter
Nov 06, 2016 Gene Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting fresh look at the colonization of the North American northeast

Careful research , an open mind , lifelong curiosity, and years of coastal boating equipped Mowat with the unique skills and insights needed to synthesize this superb fresh look at the historic migrations from northern europe to Iceland, greenland , Newfoundland, and the Canadian Arctic. Goodbye to Leif Erickson as the first European in North America. Key insight: the generational comingling that takes place over centuries.
Dwight
Jul 07, 2012 Dwight rated it did not like it
Farley Mowat is full of shit, in my opinion. This is an attempt by an old kook to take credit for what a responsible anthropologist might spend years accumulating data to support. Some old rocks and the disappearance of a species of seal indicates a new history of northern people. In my opinion the most over-celebrated author in Canada.
Kam
Apr 18, 2011 Kam rated it really liked it
Fascinating story about the northern islands of Western Europe and North America. It was amazing to read about the "tuskers"-walruses who were peaceful and plentiful until everyone decided to slaughter them for their tusks. The Albans were and are an admirable and resilient people. I enjoyed reading about them.
Frode
Jun 03, 2012 Frode rated it really liked it
Lots of new information that dovetailed with earlier matieral in my possession. Mowat writes well. He speculates quite a bit, but the overall impression is one of educated guessing that is near the truth.
Siszurpicki
Jan 04, 2012 Siszurpicki rated it really liked it
A detailed look at historic documents combined with the author's analysis of the area. Some photos and maps. I love this style and topic. Changes what I always thought about the first European settlements in North America. Good for all of us.
Jake Jaqua
May 27, 2014 Jake Jaqua rated it really liked it
After reading it, I thought "Of course! It all makes sense, and he provides good evidence and it seems just common sense." This all isn't very radical, and would be good reading in a college curriculum.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Nancy Ross
Nancy Ross rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Carolyne Gibson
Carolyne Gibson rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
howard Bedingfield`
howard Bedingfield` rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Krishna Sookrit
Krishna Sookrit rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Exploration Sandra
Exploration Sandra rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Brent Hooey
Brent Hooey rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
George Spence
George Spence rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Robert Batten
Robert Batten rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Justin Swanstrom
Justin Swanstrom rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Gayle Eady
Gayle Eady rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
William H. Wilson
William H. Wilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Shannon Okey
Shannon Okey rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Constantreader
Constantreader rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2015
Jim MacLeod
Jim MacLeod rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Benjaminivor
Benjaminivor rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
katherine
katherine rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Farley McGill Mowat was a conservationist and one of Canada's most widely-read authors.
Many of his most popular works have been memoirs of his childhood, his war service, and his work as a naturalist. His works have been translated into 52 languages and he has sold more than 14 million books.
Mowat studied biology at the University of Toronto. During a field trip to the Arctic, Mowat became outrag
More about Farley Mowat...